CVA Shooters - Have you seen this!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hummm, I’ve noticed the ones installed in the new breech plugs are nice and shiny. The ones ordered in the 4 pks are dull grey, thus carburized. The shiny ones must be of a different steel, or polished?

Hummm, I’ve noticed the ones installed in the new breech plugs are nice and shiny. The ones ordered in the 4 pks are dull grey, thus carburized. The shiny ones must be of a different steel, or polished?
Lehigh said that they stopped carburizing the vent liners "as it has not proven to have a dramatic life increase" on the vent liners.

Head space can be adjusted by shimming the firing pin bushing. No need for o-ring. For most shooters vent liners will last around 400 shots or so. Replacing them when needed is no big issue. For many shooters the vent liner will never need replacing.....

Seems like a lot of work when there's a better and permanent fix ?
How much does that permanent fix cost versus a six dollar vent liner and what part is a lot of work? Maybe I am missing something, at least for the average person. I know you probably shoot more than enough to make it worthwhile though.

Seems like a lot of work when there's a better and permanent fix ?

Actually, there isn't much to it. It is not a lot of work. The first time i did it, years ago now, one had to make the shims.

P1122377.JPG

P1122379.JPG

P1122380.JPG

Today, one can purchase the shims already ready, right HERE. It is a simple, easy, inexpensive, permanent fix.

You can convert the OEM plug for $31 in parts. That is for the bushing and lock ring. Its highly unlikely you would ever wear out that bushing if you stay within CVAs max load data

How much does that permanent fix cost versus a six dollar vent liner and what part is a lot of work? Maybe I am missing something, at least for the average person. I know you probably shoot more than enough to make it worthwhile though.

Cost..…. it basically comes down to trying to save a couple bucks, only to have to possibly do it over again.

Likely for the average person, most of those don't shoot enough in the first place to warrant anything other than an OEM breech plug and likely will never need even a second breech plug. Sure, there are those who shoot a little more than the average shooter, the same shooters who might go through 2, maybe 3 breech plugs in the entire time they own the rifle. So for the average person+, is any type of modification even necessary?

If we then look at those who shoot numbers well above the average person, there are a couple choices. One is ordering shims, shimming and replacing vent liners, having the tooling to hold the breech plug and replace vent liners. The other is a one time permanent fix. So it comes back to.... cost. 'If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?'

Agree, for the average person no mods are probably needed unless they want to shoot BH and the factory plug isn't compatible as in the case of my V1 Accura and Knight Disc. But Mr. Laughlin has shown the shim and vent liner way isn't hard and it works.

Agree, for the average person no mods are probably needed unless they want to shoot BH and the factory plug isn't compatible as in the case of my V1 Accura and Knight Disc. But Mr. Laughlin has shown the shim and vent liner way isn't hard and it works.

I have a friend who modified his V1 breech plug to shoot BH. He's a perfect example of the "extended season" hunter. He opened the flash hole on his BP and is still using the same plug after all these years. Right or wrong? I know he's using BH and kills everything he shoots at with that rifle.

Shimming the firing pin bushing will bring a more enjoyable shooting experience to everybody. It stops blow by, and is permanent. It works for all shooters, whether average or extraordinary.

Agreed. Shimming the bushings helps. However a new breech plug isn't required for that or is it?
I'm not knocking the vent liner method. I'm not calling it an ugly baby, nor am I saying it won't work.
I've tinkered, worked my self into frustration and depleted funds by not using the latest technology in the first place.
Its up to the individual, rather they want to be just merely satisfied, or totally happy.

This is reason I had a Rifle Built, got tired of tinkering to make them do what manufacture should have done in first place. Sorry for the rant and maybe a little off subject

I have a friend who modified his V1 breech plug to shoot BH. He's a perfect example of the "extended season" hunter. He opened the flash hole on his BP and is still using the same plug after all these years. Right or wrong? I know he's using BH and kills everything he shoots at with that rifle.

If he's happy with it, then it's right. My reason for not just drilling out the plug was I couldn't intentionally see making the flash hole in the plug basically the same size as what people shooting a liner have when they replace theirs (~.035). Plus I wanted a pocket similar to a TC plug just for extra precaution. So I paid Mr. Laughlin a reasonable amount to modify the plug and he also included a vent liner. It has been flawless and not a lot of money, so I am happy with it, and it's right for me.

Latest posts

Back