CVA thumbhole stock fit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlinmonty

Reaction score
I need to know if the thumbhole stocks will fit on the prarie rifles . Never had a thumbhole stock before but after handling one I think I could get to liking it a lot . But I don't see it on CVA web site on a PR . Anyone know if it will fit properly ?

MM

I let go of my PR Accura a short time after getting my LR TH Accura. I had wondered the same thing. The butt stock swapped ok. Even the barrels swapped ok. But the fore end was completely different. The PR was about 3-4 years old and the LR is just a couple months old.

So a PR thumb hole stock does fit a LR? I got last years LR in .50 cal with a goose neck stock, but prefer to have a thumb hole stock on it.

Yeah i never liked that stock. Even tho they changed the receiver profile some, the butt stock still seemed to fit ok. I only had it on for a minute to see if it would. I didn't shoot it. Then sold the PR.

I have tried to get a thumb hole stock through CVA/BPI, but it has been out of stock for quite awhile. At least the one they say is compatible with the LR I have.

Isnt the PR and MR loosely based on the CVA Apex? The LR is based on the regular Accura V2 frame?

LR
pr3124nm-cva-accura-v2-lr-th--nitride-max-1.jpg

PR
3131.jpeg

MR
PR3121SNM.jpg

Isnt the PR and MR loosely based on the CVA Apex? The LR is based on the regular Accura V2 frame?

LR
pr3124nm-cva-accura-v2-lr-th--nitride-max-1.jpg

PR
3131.jpeg

MR
PR3121SNM.jpg
I believe so. My PR had a receiver that looked just like an Apex. My LR is a plain side receiver like the Wolf and, i assume, like the regular Accura v2.
I think its just cosmetic tho. Cuz i did swap the stocks and barrels once. Never shot it that way.

As far as i know CVA never offered the Apex or MR series with a TH stock. I even looked for them on the Euro Bergara websites. They did offer a wood or faux wood stock for awhile though in Europe only. Its actually hard to find any of the CVA mls listed on EU sites at all. Sort of odd considering Ardesa aka Traditions can be found all over in the EU.

That link i posted has many CVA parts for newer CVA inlines. Prices looked good too. Its one of the last places i can find with Apex ML breach plugs.

Boyds does not specify which Optima and Wolf though. There are at least 3 Optimas not including the Elite....Optima Pro....Optima w/QRBP (just before the V2) and the Optima V2.

Only rear stocks i know of that swap for sure are current Optima V2, Hunter and Scout V2. The Accura V2 was a 2010 release and im pretty sure the first Optima with a QRBP was also 2010 or later. So the Boyds Optima stock probably fits the Optima "V1" and V2. The 2009 Accura "V1" looked similar to the V2 but no QRBP and the TH stock was different.

I think I could get to liking that thumbhole . Honestly any advantage I can get seems like a good idea In my 200+yard deer rifle quest . Maybe I should just go with the LR instead ?

A fast twist 45cal will put you far ahead in that quest. Much easier to achieve but with a slightly higher initial investment for the adjustable sizing die. You will gain some speed and remove the weak link in the equation....the sabot.

Sort of a crap shoot though if the barrel is over .4515 land to land and the QLA can make it slightly more difficult getting bullet sizing exact at first. Some of the new 40cal bullets might change that a little. There are some really good ones now like the 250gr Fury.

Boy o Boy GM54-120 I was going to save question for later on LOL . I haven't ruled out going to a 45 cal . Honestly no idea why not or heck yes ! I think the Omega I have is going down the road as I just don't like cleaning it . Just not in love with the rifle for some reason . So If im changing rifles I truly do want it to fit exactly what I want it to do for me now that I think I know what I really want a ML to do for me . Beware of the dreaded rabbit hole ! LOL

I don’t like them as much. Seems to be too much room between thumbhole and trigger

I've had two of the boat paddle Acura stocks,and I brought one of the Acura thumbhole stocks in the 45 caliber 22 twist this winter, I target shoot a lot, and I walk and hunt a lot, I also have the 50 cal mr 50 cal Acura, that is the stock that you want, the boat paddle and the thumb hole both transfer recall into the shoulder and down into the body, the mountain rifle has a straight comb the recall come straight back instead of back and down if that makes sense it is a more manageable recoil in my experience,I have a target range Right out my backdoor and I shoot three or four days a week a lot of bullets so I'm very real cool sensitive, I think the thumb hole looks groovy but it ends there to me as far as function,I will probably give my 45 Cal thumbhole stock to a friend or else sell it soon very accurate and I love the twist but I cannot stand the stock,I find the thumbhole stock when you're gripping it about to shoot pivots to the left or right very easily too easily for me and I guess that doesn't make sense you have to shoot a lot to understand what I'm saying,I'm a CVA fanatic but I'll never buy another one that doesn't have the straight comb stock

I've had two of the boat paddle Acura stocks,and I brought one of the Acura thumbhole stocks in the 45 caliber 22 twist this winter, I target shoot a lot, and I walk and hunt a lot, I also have the 50 cal mr 50 cal Acura, that is the stock that you want, the boat paddle and the thumb hole both transfer recall into the shoulder and down into the body, the mountain rifle has a straight comb the recall come straight back instead of back and down if that makes sense it is a more manageable recoil in my experience,I have a target range Right out my backdoor and I shoot three or four days a week a lot of bullets so I'm very real cool sensitive, I think the thumb hole looks groovy but it ends there to me as far as function,I will probably give my 45 Cal thumbhole stock to a friend or else sell it soon very accurate and I love the twist but I cannot stand the stock,I find the thumbhole stock when you're gripping it about to shoot pivots to the left or right very easily too easily for me and I guess that doesn't make sense you have to shoot a lot to understand what I'm saying,I'm a CVA fanatic but I'll never buy another one that doesn't have the straight comb stock
Do you have a room to rent? I have the Accura .45, too. And would love to have a place to try longer ranges. Love my TH stock. It fits me perfectly, ive always been in the habit of pulling it into my shoulder tight, that seems to do the trick for me as far as the left/right pivoting. I had that issue more with my old optima elite that had the 'gooseneck' stock. Everybody's different tho. I can almost guarantee that I will be one of the first people to buy a MR if they release it in .45.

My Acura 45 22 twist really likes pitman 225 40 cal bullets in the light blue sabot,it's not just pivoting in the corner of my palm where my forefinger and thumb come together,again I believe that stock transfers recoil down into your body instead of straight back, at least compared to the mountain rifles straighter comb,I sure agree with you on that recoil, I get real tight with my shoulder I try to relax with my hand and everything else that touches a stock but I have to manage that recoil otherwise that Recoil will manage me,

Back