CVA Wolf 2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th Corps

Reaction score
The friendly UPS man dropped my new inline off at the house this evening. Just got it unboxed. I will read the manual tonight.
I am a long time traditional black powder shooter as well as smokeless. Pistols and Rifles.
I haven't purchased a new gun in almost 3 years. This is my first in line.
I was pleased with the look and finish of this one when it came out of the box. For the price, if it shoots as good as it looks I will be happier than a pig in slop.

I have a Simmons 4 to 8X sitting on the shelf.
I think I will try the fiber optic sight that was mounted on the rifle first.
Plan to use loose powder, I have 777 and Pyrodex on hand.
I have a box of Traditions Plinker sight in bullets as well as a box of Hornady 385 grain lead projectiles.
I am a range and target shooter, not a hunter.
Any other bullets you would recommend to get started?

Depending on age and eyesight, you may find the factory sights very large to practice and sight in at distances beyond 75 yards.

I use Barnes 290 in the yellow sabot I have found in mine that it likes an over diameter - bullet and sabot - of about .506.

Well I made it to the range this a.m. to function test my new CVA Wolf 2.
I shot lead/plastic sabot plinking rounds and a few .50 round balls.
All functioned fine. I shot anywhere from 60 to 80 grains of 2F 777. Federal 209 primers. I plan to follow deermanok's advice and get some Hornady 240 grain XTP's.
Accuracy was meh, but I chalk that up to the need for a scope. I didn't expect the round balls to group well.
I have a scope and now I need to get mounts. The rifle came with fiber optic sights.
The trigger was nice and light. The rifle is light as well, I could see this being a good setup for bumming around in the woods.
Got it cleaned up and put away.

I picked up a V1 Wolf starter pack yesterday. Got it NIB, from a gun show, for a friend who can not own 4473 guns. I am going to set it up with a scope and a Lee Shaver break in treatment. The second thing Ive done, after a basic cleaning, was shove a lead conical down the barrel. I will tell you that it went as smooth and consistently as any of my more expensive MLs. I gotta say, i am really excited to get this little gun to the range to teach him how to use a muzzleloader(maybe next weekend).
A3600DA8-2DC5-4B2F-85FC-E7FCC63B01F1.jpeg

I actually got it for $150(always offer less) to get my friend shooting im going to start him off with the powerbelts that came with. Probably will end up having him shoot sabots and shockwaves or the 240gr lead plinkers(?) on top of 50/50 t7 pellets. He has never held a ML before so i want to introduce him to the basics then show him how to clean, and then get him measuring loose powder. I have a base, rings, and a nice 4x scope to put on for him tonite. I will include a box of the federal 209mz primers but he will have to buy his own powder. Worst case, he doesnt like MLs and i keep the setup.

I picked up a V1 Wolf starter pack yesterday. Got it NIB, from a gun show, for a friend who can not own 4473 guns. I am going to set it up with a scope and a Lee Shaver break in treatment. The second thing Ive done, after a basic cleaning, was shove a lead conical down the barrel. I will tell you that it went as smooth and consistently as any of my more expensive MLs. I gotta say, i am really excited to get this little gun to the range to teach him how to use a muzzleloader(maybe next weekend).
View attachment 23538
Wow MM you got a sweet deal there.
Let us know how your friend makes out.

Last edited:
Shoot the . 430, 240 grain XTP in a green sabot. I've shot a couple deer with the Optima pistol using this bullet and its hell on deer.

Latest posts

Back