CVA WOLF - Hornady SST - ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzy2002

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to muzzle loaders and am trying some different loads and was looking for some pointers. I Have had a muzzle loader before but really brief and didn't get to shoot it much, i had to sell it due to hard times, which I regret doing as I should have never sold guns. I just picked up a nice CVA Wolf and I love it. Shoots well and is easy to work on. So, when I had my last muzzleloader (Thompson Center Impact) I was using triple 7 50/50 pellets, Remington 209 primers, and .50 power belts (250gr) and when I got this new CVA I didn't get anything with it for ammo, so my buddy let me try some TC Shockwave 250gr and they seem to work well. I'm using CCI magnum primers, hodgdon 50/50 pellets. ( I also have some hodgdon FFG loose powder that I have yet to try). Should I be using the loose powder instead of the pellets? So I'm out of ammo, so I ordered these Hornady SST-ML .50 sabots to try, they were pretty well priced and thought I'd give them a try. Haven't tried them yet but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with these or if they've heard any good things about them? Due to me being new to the sport, I'm looking for any suggestions and I appreciate any help I can get. Here's a link to the ammo I bought. Any help would be gladly appreciated.. Thanks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/278052 ... -box-of-20

I used the 300gr SST and it put a fist size hole in the deer. My uncle uses the 250gr and they drop deer good as well

Loose powder allows you to dial in your loads compared to pellets that dont give you much options. That said same uncle uses two of those 777 pellets and has good results.

could check out hornady XTP as well. pretty cheap think I paid $30 for 50 300gr xtp and 50 harvester sabots have not tried them yet but the groups look good from what people have posted here.

Thank you for your quick reply!! My buddy actually uses those same hornady xtp bullets and he says they're good also. I will have to look them up, I was also thinking about using the loose powder I hear the black horn is good stuff and burns clean. I'm going to use this stuff until I run out and then maybe try other stuff but this stuff seems to work well. I need to get more shooting time though I was only able to get 6 rounds out because I ran out of bullets. These are the ones he uses

Muzzy2002 said:
Thank you for your quick reply!! My buddy actually uses those same hornady xtp bullets and he says they're good also. I will have to look them up, I was also thinking about using the loose powder I hear the black horn is good stuff and burns clean. I'm going to use this stuff until I run out and then maybe try other stuff but this stuff seems to work well. I need to get more shooting time though I was only able to get 6 rounds out because I ran out of bullets. These are the ones he uses

I switched to BH209, can load and fire over and over unlike 777. Wish I bought it sooner but I have to drive almost 2 hrs to buy the stuff. Have a jug of 777 ill probably never use. BH is Pricey though and you still might have to clean it before every shot to see what your gun shoots like on a clean barrel. Think my first shot with my optima was about a inch high and 2" left at 100yds.
the xtp bullets can be bought in the reloading section at many sporting goods stores pretty cheap, just have to buy the right sabots for them.

Your setup should be fine for hanging a deer in the buck pole. I've shot many with the SSTs, though now mostly use the Hornady XTP bullet. I like to buy 'crush rib' sabots directly from Harvestor Muzzleloading.

If you gun is compatible with B209 powder I'd gravitate that way, if not loose 777 is my 2nd choice. Just measure some 'speedloaders' before the hunt or range outing.

muskrat30 said:
Your setup should be fine for hanging a deer in the buck pole. I've shot many with the SSTs, though now mostly use the Hornady XTP bullet. I like to buy 'crush rib' sabots directly from Harvestor Muzzleloading.

If you gun is compatible with B209 powder I'd gravitate that way, if not loose 777 is my 2nd choice. Just measure some 'speedloaders' before the hunt or range outing.

So basically the pellets are ok but the loose stuff is better and black horn is better then 777?

I use the SST 300gr . Great bullet, very accurate and expands good (unlike powerbelt).
As far as powder the BH is great stuff. You will need a BP for the BH powder.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Muzzy2002 said:
muskrat30 said:

So basically the pellets are ok but the loose stuff is better and black horn is better then 777?

"Better" is relative. Loose powder allows you to tune your load. With pellets you basically one load, usually two 50 gr pellets. If you rifle is accurate with that load, great. If not, you're out of luck.

Here's an example - my Acura shoots fist sized groups with 100 gr BH209 but shoots cloverleafs with 105 gr. Making a 5 gr difference is easy with loose powder, but impossible with pellets.

BH209 doesn't develop the crud ring of 777, so it's preferred by many who want to shoot frequently without a lot of swabbing. I use both, depending on which rifle I'm taking out.

BH209 vs 777 vs black powder has a strong component of personal preference. Going with loose powder over pellets is almost always going to yield improved accuracy.

wabowman said:
I use the SST 300gr . Great bullet, very accurate and expands good (unlike powerbelt).

so to use the black horn I need a special breech plug?

Tannhauser said:
Muzzy2002 said:
muskrat30 said:

"Better" is relative. Loose powder allows you to tune your load. With pellets you basically one load, usually two 50 gr pellets. If you rifle is accurate with that load, great. If not, you're out of luck.

Here's an example - my Acura shoots fist sized groups with 100 gr BH209 but shoots cloverleafs with 105 gr. Making a 5 gr difference is easy with loose powder, but impossible with pellets.

BH209 doesn't develop the crud ring of 777, so it's preferred by many who want to shoot frequently without a lot of swabbing. I use both, depending on which rifle I'm taking out.

BH209 vs 777 vs black powder has a strong component of personal preference. Going with loose powder over pellets is almost always going to yield improved accuracy.

Thank you for your response. I'm just learning the dos and donts on black powder so I'm picking up as I go. I didn't have anything black powder as far as tools, accessories or anything so I've been picking a few things up here and there. Went out yesterday and had a blast with a buddy and my wife. I have another rifle also. It's a CVA Hawken .50 that my father bought brand new back in the early 90s and only shot a few times. He passed it on to me and I plan to mess with it once I get used to this sport and can gather enough info.

Re: RE: Re: CVA WOLF - Hornady SST - ML

Muzzy2002 said:
wabowman said:

Yes

wabowman said:
Muzzy2002 said:
wabowman said:

Yes

I found this http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=177

I personally would not use the Pellets with the SST or Shockwave (Same bullet). The reason why is that I and my nephew both had issues with the SST (250 and 300) not expanding when using 2 pellet loads. There have been others that posted similar results while many others has great results. What I noticed in those reports were that the guys shooting 2 pellets load had the issues with then not expanding and guys that shot loose powder loads at about 100 grains and up had very good results. 2 50 grain pellets (100gn) is said to not produce the same velocity as 100 grains of loose, I have not tested this but I do believe it is true. So if you want to shoot the SST's, I would recommend shooting 95 grains of loose powder or more.

My Nephew has one of the older CVA Wolf rifles but needs a tool to remove his breech plug. He got too frustrated with the load of a 250 grain SST and 2 T7 pellets and seeing the bullet not expand and just pencil though. I could not get him to switch to Loose powder so I took him some .452 250 and .452 300 grain XTPs (45cal) and a pack of Harvester Black Crushrib sabots. The rifle shot great with 2 T7 Pellets with the Crushrib and the 300 grain XTP (groups were a bit tighter with the 300gn). Other than a different Sabot or Mixing 30 and 50 grain pellets, changing bullets is about all you can do to "Tune" a rifle when using pellets. He has now hammered several deer and 2 of those were at 160 and 175 yards. Both showed good expansion and were pass thoughs.

Muzzy2002 said:
wabowman said:
Muzzy2002 said:
Yes

That's it. Check muzzle-loaders.com, they may have better prices than CVA.

You will also need this tool https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessories/cva-qrbp-breech-plug-installation-tool-wrench.html which isn't included (annoying of CVA not to include).

There is a process to install the breech plug, and the first time you install it you need the tool to torque it down. After that, just your fingers. There are videos that walk you through the process on CVA site.

Tannhauser said:
Muzzy2002 said:
wabowman said:
Yes

You will also need this tool https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessories/cva-qrbp-breech-plug-installation-tool-wrench.html which isn't included (annoying of CVA not to include).

There is a process to install the breech plug, and the first time you install it you need the tool to torque it down. After that, just your fingers. There are videos that walk you through the process on CVA site.

Thank you so much for the link. You were right the prices are better there then on cva website

I also agree with ShawnT, if you are going to shoot SST bullets, you want speed. I would shoot them with the hottest charge that produces an accurate group.

SST bullets need lots of velocity to perform correctly. Shot fast, the front of the bullet provides very violent expansion which I believes maximizes the wound cavity. The base wil remain intact and provide a pass through.

Done right,they produce DRT bang flops or very short tracking jobs.

At lower muzzle velocities, I think controlled expansion XTP bullets are a better choice, if for no other reason than cheaper cost.

I buy my XTP bullets as pistol reloads (just 50 bullets to a box) and then buy sabots separately from MMP.

Muzzy2002 said:
Tannhauser said:
Muzzy2002 said:

Thank you so much for the link. You were right the prices are better there then on cva website

You're welcome! That site is reliable and they ship fast. I've used them several times.

Tannhauser said:
Muzzy2002 said:
Tannhauser said:

You're welcome! That site is reliable and they ship fast. I've used them several times.

I've been ordering from midwayUSA.. they seem to ship fast

Here's the guy to call for all your needs

Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop
910-692-7936

He will have & know everything you'll need & at very fair prices. You will NEVER deal with a better guy!!

As for Bullets always go with the best you can afford. For your application I would go with a Barnes TEZ 250 in a Harvester smooth (not crush rib) sabots, a Western Powders BH209 breech plug, 100-110 grains of BH209 (by volume) & CCI 209 MAG, Win 209A, Fed 209A primers.NO MUZZLELOADER PRIMERS!!
NEVER swab between shots!! NEVER!!!

Hope this helps,

Greg

Back