Cva wolf scoped model / sighted model

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloaders and I want to purchase a CVA wolf.

I noticed that there are some different models including stainless steel vs. Blued barrels.

I also noticed that there's a different option in whether it comes with a scope mount or iron sights.

I don't like the scope mounts it's included because it seems like it mounts to the barrel straight into rings rather than a picatinny rail.

My question is if I purchase the one that comes with the iron sights can I later take them off and purchase an aftermarket CVA to picatinny rail.

also if I'm not going to fire this gun often should I spend the extra 30 bucks for the stainless steel barrel? Is it the barrel material that's different or the outside that's different? I understand that the purpose of the stainless steel is corrosion resistance but if the inside of the barrel is made of the same material which is being exposed to the most of the powder will it really matter?

Looks like the Wolf is also offered with a Nitride finish on a stainless steel barrel. All Wolf models are drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The stainless steel models are solid stainless steel barrels, no coating to make them look like stainless steel.

The one piece base and ring from CVA works but I too prefer a more robust setup. I like steel bases and rings.

I bought the one with the scope mounts and it came loose. I tightened it all back up and added a few drops of nail polish and have had no problems since. I also have the SS model but I keep it very clean so am not sure about any corrosion or such. I like mine a lot and get 3 inch groups out of most anything i shoot at 100 yards. I have a Knight Bighorn being delivered soon. Hope to get better groups out of it

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with stainless steel barrel it was only $18 more. I figure if nothing else it'll have better resale value to someone who knows something about muzzleloaders and their corrosive properties.

And I thought about it if their machine the same then I should get the one with iron sights. I saw this aftermarket thing that bolts onto the CVA and gives you a picatinny rail. That way if I did want to mount my 6 by 24 by 50 scope I won't have an issue with the Bell.

The sights on a Wolf are easy to remove if needed for scope mounting.

Someone mentions 3" groups at 100 yards. The Wolf is way more capable of smaller groups if you're willing to work with powders and bullet/sabot combos. In all honesty I'd suggest you get a BH209 breech plug and the BH209 powder. I'd start with a 250 grain, .45 cal XTP bullet and a black crush rib sabot or a 240 grain, .44 cal XTP bullet in a green crush rib sabot. A beginning powder charge of 90 or 100 grains volume measured would be an excellent starting point.
From there you have a ton of latitude to try other bullets, powder charges and sabots.

The sights on a Wolf are easy to remove if needed for scope mounting.

Someone mentions 3" groups at 100 yards. The Wolf is way more capable of smaller groups if you're willing to work with powders and bullet/sabot combos. In all honesty I'd suggest you get a BH209 breech plug and the BH209 powder. I'd start with a 250 grain, .45 cal XTP bullet and a black crush rib sabot or a 240 grain, .44 cal XTP bullet in a green crush rib sabot. A beginning powder charge of 90 or 100 grains volume measured would be an excellent starting point.
From there you have a ton of latitude to try other bullets, powder charges and sabots.

I think I will like playing with the ballistics. I guess I need that plug for loose powder. Hmm. Might even be fun to shoot balls and wads.

I do have a couple more questions.

Do you guys ever get any issues with the plastic sabots melting or fouling the barrel?

And back to the barrel difference is on the CVA I noticed the blue barrel has a bullet guiding muzzle. Somewhere I read this had something to do with the rifling. Does it transition to a smooth bore? Someone mention an advantage and it being easier to load dirty.

I believe both barrels have their special nitro coating and if so that means that they both have lifetime warranties against pitting.

Nitride is an additional cost and its over SS only with CVA. You can get basic blued, SS or nitride over SS. Those are your 3 options. The nitride is only the barrel. No other parts are treated.

The regular OEM breach plug works just fine with loose Pyrodex, Triple7 and real black. You only need the other plug for Blackhorn209 powder.

Modern sabots foul no worse than them overpriced bullets they sell with the cute little skirts on them. Let the barrel cool as needed between shots anytime plastic is part of your projectile and plastic fouling is not an issue. Total nonsense perpetuated by the CVA manuals and people trying to sell you PowerBelts.

Choose the right sabot fit and i dont see any need for a "bullet guiding muzzle" Some may like it but i never had a need for one. Its just a slightly over size portion of the muzzle with no rifling.

BTW good luck finding a well made picatinny rail for them. Most are cheap extruded 6061 aluminum and not milspec spacing. Get steel or billet 7075 if you are putting a big honking 6x24x50 scope on it. Thats a massive scope for a little Wolf.

Thanks all for the replies. Yeah pretty sure I'm that case I want the stainless.

I don't like the idea of a larger bore or loss of rifling.

To buy scope railed or not is the only decision I have to make.

I have different scopes too various sizes 4x16x44 and the ol 3x9x32.

My thought is buy iron sights model. Take off sight for 15 dollar after market CVA to picatinny mount. That way if I decided I like iron sights better I can switch back.

Due to the recoil I may keep it iron sights. I don't want to keep replacing scopes. Warranty or not.

Warne sells the Maxima, steel, 2-pc, M980/982M, CVA-V2, Weaver/Picatinny scope bases to fit the CVA V2 Accura, Optima, and Wolf models. Optima V2 pistol as well.

If you have Picatinny rings on your current scopes they should attach right to the M980/982M bases.

Both Optics Planet, and muzzle-loaders.com have them for sale. I think the price is around $23.59 at Optics Planet.

I bought mine for my Optima V2 pistol, along with a set of Warne 200LM, Q-D lever scope rings.

Yeah in that case I'm definitely going to go stainless steel option with the iron sight mounting. Man 204 this gun with a lifetime warranty are you kidding?

Yeah it's a single shot yeah it's a black powder burner. And yeah you need to run a swab down it every time you shoot it. But dude single shot one shot one kill deer on the cheap can't beat it.

Not to mention the crazy control over the cartridges. Or in this case the lack thereof of a cartridge.

I have the stainless wolf and I love it. It came with one piece scope mount. I replaced that I think with the dnz one piece mount. I would get a piccatinney rail for the gun, and Hank's makes one out of 7075. make sure you get the oil out of the scope mount holes and degrease them too. all the cva holes have oil in them from the factory. my gun did have iron sight mounting holes with no sights attached. I would go stainless, or nitride coated stainless. I have killed 4 bucks over 150 yds with mine hunting fields. going to a SML this year but that wolf still has a place in my heart, very easy to clean too. I used the presaturated patches TC offers in the little plastic jar.

So do you ever oil the barrel on one of these things. I have much more to research about muzzleloader care in general.

to be honest I saw that they were cheap with no additional FFL fees plus lifetime warranty it was a no-brainer. so most of my research has been focused on which black powder rifle rather than black powder rifles in general.

However from what I've seen I like very much.

a 3-9 scope is all you need for the wolf. If you go with the one piece scope mount you will need a long eye relief scope which I don't recommend because most of those scopes dont have very good light gathering capability. I would get the piccatinney rail and a 3 1/2" eye relief scope. leupolds and reddfields work good because the occular eye piece is smaller and it doesnt get in the way of your thumb as much when cocking the hammer. you dont want the scope right down on the hammer, I would go with warne high maxima vertically split rings, those things are as sturdy is it gets. seems like every break action gun I buy shoots pretty low when first sighting the scope in so nowadays I try to get a scope with plenty of verticle adjustment. My experience with my 3 CVA guns, I love them all though, great value for your dollar.

you don't want to use petroleum based oil in a smoker if using Triple 7 or pyrodex etc. you can do that some if you use blackhorn powder but I would wipe it back out after doing so. just depends on what type powder you use. petroleum oil can react with the blackpowder substitutes to cause corrosion. blackhor powder though is different and can be cleaned with petroleum solvents etc. My gun does well with 2 triple 7 pellets 50/50 for a 100 gr. equivalent. and a 295 gr. hollow point power belt bullet with the green plastic skirt on it. I dont care for that bullet much but it is the most accurate out of my gun, but its a real soft bullet that comes apart easily.

Warne sells the Maxima, steel, 2-pc, M980/982M, CVA-V2, Weaver/Picatinny scope bases to fit the CVA V2 Accura, Optima, and Wolf models. Optima V2 pistol as well.

But its not picatinny. Its Weaver. True picatinny rings wont fit. The slot is too thin. Not a huge deal because there plenty of good Weaver type rings out there.

Well I did it I literally just did it. Ordered from Midway the stainless steel model with iron sights. She looks like a beauty.

sad thing is it'll be a while before I can actually take her out to have her fired. I'm not sure if the state-run muzzleloading ranges are open right now. but I'll totally be able to touch on it and admire it until I can actually shoot it.

I was hoping for somebody to have a Father's day sale but I couldn't wait anymore. then I heard stories about people buying them off at Walmart for like $79 bucks. Man that burns the Walmart in my area doesn't sell any type of that stuff. But it's not too bad I end up paying about $210 or so.

Now I need a thorough education and all items muzzleloader.

I would go with warne high maxima vertically split rings

Except for everytime you take your scope off it shifts because the screws that lock it to the base also hold the scope in the rings. You wont have that problem with the new Warnes Horziontals or Leupold PRW2s. If you want clearance i would stick to medium rings and a 32-33mm objective scope. They are plenty high for a 40mm objective scope.

I think these just came out this year and they are about the same price as the verticals.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020957432
DSC02444-EDIT_no-background_web.jpg

Last edited:
But its not picatinny. Its Weaver. True picatinny rings wont fit. The slot is too thin. Not a huge deal because there plenty of good Weaver type rings out there.
Sorry, was not aware of the difference.

Back