CVA Wolf VS Optima V2 barrel length??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin82

Reaction score
I am going to get one or the other. The Wolf seems like it would be just fine for me and doing some deer hunting here in Michigan. I was mainly concerned about the 24" barrel in the Wolf & if it will burn the loads properly. I'm going to be using 2 50gr Triple7 pellets. Would the extra 2 inches of barrel in the Optima be worth the extra $$??

Is there any other differences I should be aware of that might make a big difference for my White tail quest?

The break action is different
I have heard of guys that have had trouble with the break action getting hit in the woods and opening up with the Wolf.
I would compare that with the two as well as barrel length
I have the Optima and really love it and the break action was one of the things that helped me make my decision.
It also works very well in the woods as I just got blood on mine yesterday

To me the difference in barrel length is a non-issue. For a few years, and many deers, i have been carrying a 23" barrel. It works good. However, in my opinion, the opening/closing latch on the Optima V2 is a way more better than the latch on the Wolf. My choice would be the Optima V2, because of the latch mechanism.

The barrel length will mean nothing in terms of performance.

Weight savings is the biggest factor and only u can decide what fits your needs the best.

I agree with what others have said about the wolf break open design vs theV2 design. I it were me in wait till next year to serif they put the V2 take down on the Wolf or go ahead and splurge and get the Accura Mr if a featherweight MZ is the goal!

I would choose the Optima simply because its nicer and not a lot more $$$$s. The weight difference is so small you will likely not care.

Good Luck with your new ML!
I really think you will be happy with your decision, I am extremely happy with my Optima.
Let know how it turns out and what you think

Back