CVA Wolf vs Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretus

Reaction score
Hello,
I like both rifles and plan on purchasing one of them for this upcoming hunting season. Do the extra barrel length and features on the Optima justify paying the addition cost or is it a matter of need and/or hunting conditions? Does two additional inches in barrel length make that much difference? Probably going to use Thompson 250gr Super-glide Shock Wave projectiles and loose T7 for propellant. Any information would be appreciated... Thanks

I only had the Wolf. I liked the rifle and found it very accurate. Will the extra 2 inches of barrel make that much difference in velocity? Maybe not but the extra length may help stabilize the gun when you shoot. Are you going to carry the rifle far???? If so concider the lighter of the two choices. Are you shooting long distances or is 100 yards your furthest shot??? Are you going to shoot hundreds of times a year or just a few for hunting preparation??? The argument to buy the best you can afford makes sense. Chances are your needs change and you will likely sell either to buy a more expensive gun. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

I have the Optima, my little girl shoots the Wolf. I prefer the Optima and she prefers the Wolf. Both are accurate with the correct loads, she shoots 55 grains T7ff or Pyrodex, and Cheap Shots (Snapbang turned me on to them!!!!) as she doesn't need all the recoil just punching holes in paper. I mostly shoot 83 gr. wt 209 and Barnes TEZ (I'm in Kalifornia and MUST use non-lead when trying to take ANY animal, even Columbian GS related to the Rat family), I use T7 and the Cheap Shots for punching paper.

i'm a newbie to muzzle loading having only shot a optima that was given to me just a few times so i'm kind of speaking out of my booty hole .
but if i were buying new i'd want something with both nitride and cerakote for maximum protection from moisture .

I have had and passed on several Optima's and Wolf's and currently still have one of each, also a Accura. Each one shoots wonderfully and all have a specific purpose for me. I would recommend the nitride optima. If shooting loose powder get the blackhorn plug.

I only had the Wolf. I liked the rifle and found it very accurate. Will the extra 2 inches of barrel make that much difference in velocity? Maybe not but the extra length may help stabilize the gun when you shoot. Are you going to carry the rifle far???? If so concider the lighter of the two choices. Are you shooting long distances or is 100 yards your furthest shot??? Are you going to shoot hundreds of times a year or just a few for hunting preparation??? The argument to buy the best you can afford makes sense. Chances are your needs change and you will likely sell either to buy a more expensive gun. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

My longest shot would be approx 150yds…The furthest distance to a stand may be 1/2 mile tops…Since reloading components have become scarce and expensive, I’ve been shooting traditional muzzleloaders, cap and ball revolvers and black powder cartridge guns for the last year… I don’t think you gain much velocity from two inches… And if the same applies, unless shooting looong distances, a shorter barrel can be just as accurate as one 2” longer with less barrel whip… 18-20” barrels for a .308 or .223 can be plenty accurate out to 500 yds….

I don’t think you gain much velocity from two inches… And if the same applies, unless shooting looong distances, a shorter barrel can be just as accurate as one 2” longer with less barrel whip… 18-20” barrels for a .308 or .223 can be plenty accurate out to 500 yds….

Velocity loss is negligible. You’re probably talking about less than 50 fps difference with a 2”shorter barrel.

Find a store or shop that carries both the Wolf and Optima and shoulder them up. For the little extra weight, I'd certainly go with the Optima and a nitrided model if possible. The Optima will have less barrel jump, or rise when fired. The release is much nicer than a Wolf. The Optima's extra couple inches of barrel won't be a hindrance inmost stands or blinds.

I have an Accura V2 and love the gun, but they are no longer available as a simple break gun. An Optima would be my choice over the two mentioned here.

As far as distances you shoot, what about in a couple of years when a friend invites you elk hunting?

I second the notion of shouldering both and see which one feels better. I like a cheek pad on the stock.

As far as cost difference, you will burn more money than that is a few shooting sessions. But you will still have the gun.

there is a wolf v2 coming out , but no availability date is given yet and no pics yet either . and no mention of changing the release lever location .

As far as distances you shoot, what about in a couple of years when a friend invites you elk hunting?

I second the notion of shouldering both and see which one feels better. I like a cheek pad on the stock.

As far as cost difference, you will burn more money than that is a few shooting sessions. But you will still have the gun.

Good point...

there is a wolf v2 coming out , but no availability date is given yet and no pics yet either . and no mention of changing the release lever location .

My understanding is they're trying to make it a dedicated youth/small framed shooter gun. It's going to have a removable spacer in the stock. I think that was the only real change.

Latest posts

Back