CVA Wolf vs Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the stature of the OP and don't know if there may be other changes CVA hasn't shared yet . But there's %99 chance you're right .

I consider them very reasonable,, however I guess if you got a really nice piece of Walnut or Maple you may end up with as much in your replacement stock as the rifle cost new,, they have some nice laminates and they do some really cool checkering

So much input! Thank you all… I’m leaning towards the Optima. And the fact there is wood available for it is a bonus..

I have a Optima V2 rifle with nitride, very accurate for the price! I'm not crazy about the CVA plastic stock, but for late season, rain/snow it beats the wood stocks that will swell when wet.

Sounds like you need two rifles,, one with the woodstock and one just leave the factory stock on maybe even a couple more,,,optima is a proven performer,,nitride,good trigger!

Us guys are too much.
Get an Optima........... and a Wolf............might as well find a decent sidelock or two also...............and then start looking for a flintlock, you know, just in case.
Don't forget about the cap and ball revolvers, oh, and the Optima pistol.
My friend, welcome to the rabbit hole.:thumb:

I've never owned a Wolf, but there have been negative comments on this forum about the Wolf’s breech opening mechanism. I have owned an Optima and it shot well.

Lol, I just about got myself talked into ordering an Optima, SS barrel and black plastic stock for under 300. I think I'll add a Boyd's laminate stock and forend. I kinda like the butterscotch, I think it's called?

I appreciate all your help! I do like the Boyd’s walnut stock and will pursue one after mine comes in…Now to projectiles, and powder…

Blackhorn 209 is tops, if you can get it. As far as bullets go, I'm sure some of the fellas here will have good advice.
I have FFg black powder. I use that in my Springfield Trapdoor, P53 rifled musketry reproduction, and Uberti 1858 RNMA…I do have access to granular T7 and Alliant BlackMZ…
With the barrel twist on the Optima, would it stabilize lead round balls for just plinking?

Back