cva wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnoffs

Reaction score
i had my cva wolf out hunting a few days and wanted to make a few comments. the gun shoots very good. i sighted in for 125 yds. the hornady 300 gr with red sabot and 80 weighed gr of bh 209 grouped a moa at that range . that by itself makes the gun a keeper for me ..........but, i have seen [not really] smaller handles on car jacks than the barrel release on this gun. it releases accidentally very easily when carrying the gun. there is no reason for such a big release. i plan to dremel tool it down to a size/ shape that will not open the breech accidentally. since the next operation after exposing the breech is to reload a glove or mitten may as well come off to allow me to easily access my smaller release. it doesn't have to be so big that a mittened hand can open it.
the gun has been shot about 12 times since i got it in july. it has been cleaned several times in that period and kept in my shop where rel. humidity is less than 55%. maybe the corrosion was present when i got the gun but i just noticed corrosion in the crown part of the muzzle. in the area with no rifling. total area of corrosion is probably about 1/4'' square. i bought the stainless barrel and use bh209 powder so corrosion would never be a problem. the few times i shot this i cleaned and rust protected within a few days of shooting. this is such sub standard performance as to be unbelieveable. i have a 30 yr old blued steel percussion cap that has shot pyrodex and 777 without this problem. i will keep it because it shoots good but would never buy another.
another cva product is the cva 4 in 1 plastic gizmo for carrying a charge of powder, bullet in the field............no place for a primer, my bullet and sabot will not fit in the space allotted for the bullet and last but way not least is the static charge of the material makes it impossible to get the last 20 grains of powder out. it took me 15 minutes in my kitchen to find the right utensil to drag out the remaining powder into a dish and then dump in the muzzle without spilling.static charge would actually make a granule of powder jump up 1/16'' and back into the tube. this powder chamber is like a cruel joke by cva. can you imagine this in the field?

Use a clothes dryer sheet ( bounce or similar) to wipe the inside and outside of the of the powder containers, problem solved. Good luck.

with a dremel tool i have removed a 1/4'' of the release lever for the barrel. took a little longer than i planned as it was steel but now it protrudes forward from the trigger guard maybe 3/16''. a little cold blue and it looks better than original. i plan to trim it more after hunting season but for now it is way more functional than originally. thanks for the tip hershel . i will stick to the old 35mm film containers though.

Latest posts

Back