Cva wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanmbriscoe

Reaction score
Hello all
I have a cva wolf and I hunt Colorado so I need to use a iron sight and loose powder.
I have tried 100 grains by weight of 777 and blackhorn 209 and it is great at 25 and 50 but no where near the target at 100. I am not a fantastic shot but I should be getting hits at a hundred
I tried a new sight the Williams precision sight and I love it but 100 seems impossible the two times I went to the range. I could just limit myself to 50 yards but I know the gun is capable

I have multiple Powerbelts that I was planning on using.
My question is does anyone have advice? Should I em measuring by volume or reduce the load some?

thanks Ryan

What bullet are you using? You may want to try a few dif bullets, wads, sabots, lower or higher load, before you go down the weight vs volume road. Find a better performer before you fine tune the one that's no good.

Sounds like you have the rifle setup pretty good.
I'd say to try some different bullets for starters.
Hornady xtp bullets 240 grains are what I use in my CVA Optima pistol.
Also try cutting back on the powder charge. You could start at 70 grains and increase a bit at a time.
Every gun is different. Not a one size fits all deal.
You might discover that your gun shoots really well with say, 80 grains of powder.
Nice thing about muzzleloaders is that you can customize the load best suited for your needs.
It just takes range time and patience.

I have tried 100 grains by weight of 777 and blackhorn 209 and it is great at 25 and 50 but no where near the target at 100.

I have multiple Powerbelts that I was planning on using.
My question is does anyone have advice? Should I em measuring by volume or reduce the load some?

thanks Ryan
. A hundred grains by weight is way over maximum for either of the powders mentioned above.

Sabots are illegal in Colorado during the ML season so he is stuck with conicals, PBs or other full bore options.

I have a Wolf and was never able to get better than 2 1/2" groups. But you need to make some changes.

As stated above you need to cut way back on your powder. Go to the Blackhorn 209 load data and start there.
Next there are many conicals that will shoot. No excuses or Mr Hollowpoint are my choices.
Most guns with the QLA muzzle ( where the muzzle has no rifleing the first 3/8 inch or so ) seem to do better with a ballistic bridge. According to the fellows here who have pursued this problem. I know of the one from MMP but there may be others.

I never got around to fine tuning mine because I came across a Knight Elite.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
I will try lower powder charges, complete rookie with the boom stick, I always just used volume before however I figured by weight would be more accurate amount consistently since my volume measure doesn’t seem that have the same amount. I used the pellets when I was a kid and switched to a bow thanks for the help

I understand all the factors that could give different results with the same rifle but with my Wolf, I get 1.5 moa with 80gr of loose T-7, 250gr T/C Black Shockwave saboted bullets and Win 209 primer…EGW peep sight rail and modified stock front sight…

Sabots are illegal in Colorado during the ML season so he is stuck with conicals, PBs or other full bore options.
Could use a cloth patch to "sabot" a smaller bullet, if yah really wanted to. Not ideal, but it can work, something like a denim material or something? The patch for bullets is either 2 strips arranged in an "X" on the muzzle, or its cut out that way with a circular center to protect the base.

Try Lee REAL conical.. 250gr or 320gr
Everybody loads a little differently, and bore sizes vary, but I tried those about a decade ago, never got decent accuracy from them (round ball in that rifle (open sights) shot 1.75" @ 100 yards, but with the REALs, the groups approached 6", granted the twist was 1:48, but the 250's and 320's should have still worked). I'm pretty sure I was deforming the nose too much trying to force the oversized bullet down. Unless your grooves are incredibly deep (not likely with the Wolf), you can use land-riders, and they'll bump up into the grooves. No deformation of the nose, easy loading. just don't make a habit out of carrying it around muzzle down lol. Then again, it might have just been me with the REALs, I know a lot of people do ok with them? Now that I can size bullets, I might break them out again and size them for pistol bullets, they're about the right weights for .50 pistol!

Sounds like patch and ball is the way to go…
funny thing is, I use a paper patch for the ball, and have since used sized, short lead bullets with a pp, and they shoot almost as good lol. I remember right before I shelved the molds, I dry loaded a REAL to pull it and see what it looked like, it looked like a wad cutter with a beat up meplat and a boat tail lol. I don't really feel the need to hunt with a .50 and bullets, unless it's for dangerous game, so I mostly shoot balls out of it for fun (actually that rifle is my rainy-day project right now, made an el-cheapo plywood laminate stock that actually fits me for it and reprofiled the barrel to take some weight off). Now my .36 on the other hand, gets used with bullets quite a bit :cool:.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
I will try lower powder charges, complete rookie with the boom stick, I always just used volume before however I figured by weight would be more accurate amount consistently since my volume measure doesn’t seem that have the same amount. I used the pellets when I was a kid and switched to a bow thanks for the help
You can still weigh your charges.
Do a volume measure of say, 80 grains. Weigh it. Do about 4 or 5 the same to find an average.
The weights should be pretty close +/- a few grains.
This way, you'll find a good starting point. You can always go up or down to find the best consistency.

Back