Cva wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unless you want to shoot a greatly reduced load. The Wolf is a shallow groove 1-28 twist and a 50cal would not be legal for elk if using PRB.
depends on how you patch it, I've shot round balls in a paper patch out of 1:28 barrels before with hefty charges (my flinter is a 1:48, but I do have friends with them new-fangled guns... I promise 😆), and accuracy is normally ok (kind of a waste, considering what the barrel is capable of stabilizing, but a fun experiment). It is far easier to under-stabilize a projectile, than over-spin it (you really have to try). But I had heard that the state-fudd's in Colorado decided, in their wisdom, to change their minimums a few years back (because .04" and 50gr makes all the difference lol) . Personally, unless I'm hunting dangerous game, a .50 with bullets seems excessive. A .40 would be a significant improvement (I think that's CO.'s new minimum for bullets? coincidentally, CVA and Knight's smallest offerings?). But the OP has a CVA Wolf, so I guess bullets it is lol. IdahoLewis's bullets with Accurate Molds are good ones for most practical hunting purposes (50-415-I)

Well I’m going to start with 70 grain by volume and move up to see what patterns best. I’m super pumped you guys are super helpful. Not like other forums I have been a part of. It’s a deer hunt and I’m going to stick with the powerbelts since I have every size available I think. I never knew it needed to be by volume not weight, I guess I thought they were interchangeable. My ignorance

I need a range day.

If pie plate accuracy at 50yards is your idea of ok.
no, more like 2.5-3" at 100 (with a scope, obviously from a rest), not great, but useful; the 1:48 flintlock with open sights does 1.75" on average with the exact same cartridges. I mean, you REALLY have to try to over-spin a projectile to seriously impact accuracy, my dad's experiments trying to hot-rod his .243 when he was my age demonstrates that, the bullets failed before accuracy got so poor that it wasn't useful (early 80's 55gr short-jacketed bullets don't like being loaded up to 3800+ FPS in a 1:8 barrel lol). What causes people issues with faster twists and patched round ball is that they try to use cloth patching, which is nowhere near as durable as paper when it comes to friction (darn paper just doesn't like the rain lol).

Last edited:
Well I’m going to start with 70 grain by volume and move up to see what patterns best.
more like 2.5-3" at 100
Excellent.

I havent used powerbelts but I am heading out of state to hunt deer this fall and my hunting companion will be using powerbelts. They shoot beautiful in his gun. He is bringing a backup gun (I always like a back up out of state in the event something goes wrong with a gun) and that gun also likes powerbelts. So theoretically I could end up using that backup gun. If I do I have no problem using powerbelts. I may avoid a Texas Heart shot though.

I have never actually tried it. Long ago I was in deer camp with some other fellows with much more knowledge of deer hunting and shooting than myself. The one fellow stated if you cant get a shot at the vitals and you want the deer shoot for the hips where the backbone and hip bones come together. A few days later it was snowing so hard I was covered and the same fellow stopped by my stand to give me a towel to cover my scope and protect it from the snow. 15 minutes after he walked away 2 doe and a 6 point showed up. The 2 doe k new I was there but the 6 point had stopped behind a tree. No shot at the vitals. So I aimed at the hips and let fly. Followed a massive blood trail about 20 yards into the swamp and there laid the 6 point. Dead as dead gets.

Not conventional and not my best choice but does work.

my wolf shoots the 325 grain powerbelt elr really well with 71grains(weighed) fffg 777 and a cci 209 mag primer. Very accurate with a scope haven’t shot it with iron sights but it should.

I’m probably going to shoot again next week, it’s kind of hard when the range is an hour away with a four month old, but I’m going to make it happen. Thanks for all the advice. I’m probably going to stay away from the Texas heart shot but my hunt starts the 11th of September I’ll keep you guys posted again thanks for everything

Back