CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howieb

Reaction score
I know there's been a little CVA bashing here, so I wanted to relate my positive experience.

I'm a relatively new shooter, having purchased a new CVA Optima V2 with the Nitride barrel and a Burris Fullfield E1 9-40 scope package from muzzle-loaders.com last fall. I shot it probably around 50 times at the range, but was not lucky enough to bag a deer during the season. However I made a mistake at the range, which you may have read about as I posted about it here. I must have been distracted and only loaded the bullet as far as the 5 inch loader, but not with the ramrod to seat the bullet fully. I knew something was wrong when I fired. It sounded different and there was no target evidence of a hit. Within a minute or so I determined what I must have done wrong. The barrel looked OK, and it seemed to be shooting just fine after that, but I was concerned about a very slight bulge in the barrel. It looked slightly different in reflected light at the place where the gases would have contacted the load. I tried measuring the barrel externally with a caliper, but could not determine if there was a bulge.

At the end of the season I contacted CVA (BPI) and subsequently sent them the barrel (barrel ONLY, no scope or stock). I also included the fore stock that had a chip on the thinnest part. They said if I sent in the fore stock, they would replace it. It was caused (in my opinion) by a minor manufacturing defect.

Today, I received a package from them that contained a brand new Optima V2 .50 LR with a thumbhole stock, Nitride Cerakote barrel, and a Konus scope, in a soft case. There wasn't a note, but I contacted them by e-mail to make sure it was intended. They responded that "there was an issue with the barrel you sent in and it needed to be replaced". They didn't explain why they replaced it with an entirely new gun. I imagine maybe the Nitride barrel was out of stock, or? I have no idea, but I can't say I'm displeased. I only hope it shoots well. I'll probably replace the Konus scope with my Burris scope, but I may shoot with it first just to check it out.

Good for you! I’ve had nothing but good experiences with CVA and am happy you’ve been treated likewise.

I likewise have been more than satisfied with CVA service.

I belive that is a 32mm objective on the Konos if is the same one my buddy got. He likes the scope and I agree. You may appreciate a few ounces weight savings with that scope. That goes more so for what sounds like a heavier gun.

My same buddy, has gone so far as to shorten his CVA barrels. He, for one, would not agree that 28" was better. Not that 2 inch is much either way. It depends how you hunt and how you shoot. I would like to see some 22 inch barrel options. This forum is driven by feet-per-second and yardage, while my world local hunting does not need that last little bit so much as easy to carry all day.

As for CVA, I agree, they were most generous. Now you have 2 stocks and 2 scopes to play with. I love to play.

I feel it's important to clear something up in regards to the perception that CVA is getting bashed on here. CVA has had reoccurring issues with both 40cal and 45cal 1 in 22" twist barrels. This is not bashing...it's facts. While some experience BPI standing behind their products and providing replacements for faulty barrels, others have not. Again...facts. CVA has done this to themselves by continuing to put forth sub par rifles with QC issues on the market. And to muddy the waters even further, all their 1 in 28" 50 cal rifles are as fine a rifle as you could ask for. I have a Accura V2 Plains Rifle in 50 cal that I wouldn't part with for anything. And I have a 45 cal Paramount that is .004 overbore. Why does this happen? I don't presume to know. Several different theories have been put forth but they are just that...theories. At the end of the day the simple fact is BPI/CVA have blackened their own eyes and bloodied their own noses by not maintaining industry standards as it pertains to rifle bores...the very heart of a rifle.
They can do better. They have done better before. Bergara is a world class barrel maker.
Together they need to admit to what is wrong and get it right.

I feel it's important to clear something up in regards to the perception that CVA is getting bashed on here. CVA has had reoccurring issues with both 40cal and 45cal 1 in 22" twist barrels. This is not bashing...it's facts. While some experience BPI standing behind their products and providing replacements for faulty barrels, others have not. Again...facts. CVA has done this to themselves by continuing to put forth sub par rifles with QC issues on the market. And to muddy the waters even further, all their 1 in 28" 50 cal rifles are as fine a rifle as you could ask for. I have a Accura V2 Plains Rifle in 50 cal that I wouldn't part with for anything. And I have a 45 cal Paramount that is .004 overbore. Why does this happen? I don't presume to know. Several different theories have been put forth but they are just that...theories. At the end of the day the simple fact is BPI/CVA have blackened their own eyes and bloodied their own noses by not maintaining industry standards as it pertains to rifle bores...the very heart of a rifle.
They can do better. They have done better before. Bergara is a world class barrel maker.
Together they need to admit to what is wrong and get it right.
Im a big fan of CVA and i agree with you 100%.

Back