Declining population ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just returned from north west Nebraska, was suppose to hunt South Dakota, but due to uncontrollably circumstances had to change plans. I'd had hunted Nebraska several times in years past but was surprised at the lack of turkey. In places 10 years ago where I saw flocks with as many as 60-70 birds I was lucky to see 4 or 5 a day. I was thinking the Southeast was where the population was in jeopardy but after this trip maybe it's a larger problem than I thought.
Is anyone else experiencing this ?

Here in Oklahoma, the turkey population has taken a nosedive in recent years.
The wildlife department changed the regulations for this year.
Only 1 tom per hunter during the spring season. They changed the season opener to 10 days later, from April 6th, to April 16th this year.
I was able to get out yesterday morning. Hunted some state land up north of me a little ways.
I heard 5 different gobblers, which was awesome in itself.
Even though I didn't get a shot, I loved just hearing them.

Understand, to quote Ben Lee Rodgers " If I could breath life back into him I'd love to hunt him again" is the way I see it. The shot is the end of the fun.
I use to hunt Erik Oklahoma and it was great. Sad to hear it's a nation wide issue. Appears the golden years of turkey hunting seem to have passed.

I do not think we have experienced a decline in this area. They migrate up and down the hill depending on time of year. In the fall they head up hill and down in the spring. I had large flocks until early April. Morning and evening I can hear them calling in the canyon. In the fall I lust after a machine gun.

Some states are still in good shape for sure.
My buddy has a place in southeast Vermont. He says there's lot of birds around this year. He's doubtful about hunting this season as he had full knee replacement surgery a month ago.
I always got one any time I hunted up there.

Yes, turkey numbers are down here in Nebraska. Lots of speculations as to why, most of which is already said here. Take your pick; predators, less habitat, liberal season dates and so forth.

Coyotes and bobcats are hell on them where I hunt. This year our group is going to cut back on the late season deer hunting, just so we can focus on predators this winter.

Yes, turkey numbers are down here in Nebraska. Lots of speculations as to why, most of which is already said here. Take your pick; predators, less habitat, liberal season dates and so forth.

Coyotes and bobcats are hell on them where I hunt. This year our group is going to cut back on the late season deer hunting, just so we can focus on predators this winter.
Coyotes are for sure an issue there, we hunted the Chadron Creek WMA and had coyote come straight to me twice in one day.
A predator hunter's dream lots of scat and late evening howling.

Avian cholera - covers the head in an ugly mass, slow death by starvation- coupled with exploding predator population has cut our local flocks way down. Waiting to see what the outbreak of avian flu does to turkeys. Bad juju for migrating birds this year.

From what I've read, predators take a big toll on turkeys.
Raccoons and possums eat the eggs. Bobcats kill poults and adults. Coyotes, bears kill them too.
Hardly anyone traps anymore. No money in it, so the population of predators is up.
Not a good combination for turkeys.
Watched a show called Lone Star Law from Texas. The DNR there reports that up to 60% of all ground nesting birds eggs are lost to Raccoons. Not many trappers any more.

I didn't see or hear any Turkey opening day in NY. However, I did see two Coyotes.

Even snakes are a problem for turkeys. They have a real affinity for the eggs.

If anyone want to come to Michigan for a turkey send me a PM.
3 of us sat in a blind and shot the bull while 2 nice toms came in. 10"

I have video of 33 hens last summer. There is no shortage where I live,

Last edited:
I'm in northeast PA, seems turkeys are way down, have been the last couple years. Used to see birds strutting in every field, the mountains would come alive with gobbles at daybreak. I didn't hear a bird the first day. Don't help the game commission reintroduced, fishers, protected bobcats, ect. Rabbits are also a rare sighting, unless you go into town.

I've been looking at "Turkeys For Tomorrow"
Organization. They seem to be the only group that acknowledges there is a problem and putting money in research. Anybody heard anything about them ?

Here in North Central IL the numbers have dropped based on what I have seen (haven't seen) over the years. I am lucky these days to see a mature Tom in LaSalle county (where I do most of my turkey hunting). My dad says the same of where he has hunted for years in IA- still birds, but not nearly as many. So many factors come in to play, but I think the predator factor is the biggest- way too many fur-bearers around (coons, opossums, coyotes). I really need to start trapping, but have so little time to check traps. As soon as retirement rolls around those three groups of varmints better beware:elmer:

Last edited:
I saw in a field near Lansing this morning Close to 30 to 40 turkeys out in this field. Southwest of Mason. The field right next to it had about 60 deer in it.
Yeah there is no shortage of deer or turkeys in Stockbridge area all the way to Howell either. Lot of fellas hunting yotes and coons around here. I used to see coyotes all the time, not so much for the last couple years, still plenty of racoons. So many roadkill deer on GrandRiver its terrible.

Back