Declining population ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah there is no shortage of deer or turkeys in Stockbridge area all the way to Howell either. Lot of fellas hunting yotes and coons around here. I used to see coyotes all the time, not so much for the last couple years, still plenty of racoons. So many roadkill deer on GrandRiver its terrible.
Sounds like varmint hunting, might be the ticket. Wish more were interested in coyote hunting. I don't know anyone who coon hunts any more.

What needs to happen is create a fashion fad for coon skunk & possum hides . Something Togo along with $150 jeans with holes in them . If the pelts bring money again the vermin population will go down . If you love turkey hunting start eradicating the predators . Become a Verminator like me “ They Won’t Be Back “ .

I grew up trapping and loved it but I’m not doing it for nothing, or less than nothing with the price of fuel.
The little town I grew up in was full of trappers in the 1970’s, we had fur buyers that would come to town and stop at the homes of trappers to see what they had to sell. I still live in the same town but I don’t know anyone who traps anymore or even if there are any local buyers left.

My brother, neighbor, and I trapped when we were 8-12 years old. The buyers would offer us $.50 or a $1.00 when we knew the older trappers were getting $5.00. We were kids and didnt know what to do. So we found other entertainment. Shame on them.

I am reminded of pheasants in north central valley California. We went from seeing thousands to zero. Was not uncommon to see 10 road kills in the 30 minute drive to the rice fields where we almost always limited out. (even with my Pedersoli double ML) Since 2005 i can say I personally have since not seen one live (or dead one) all the way up and down I-5 from Sacramento to beyond the Oregon border in maybe 40+ trips. Other birds and animals are very rare to see as well all though turkeys seem to be doing well in some foothill areas like Placerville.

I ran a trapline when I was younger. I mainly trapped small local waterways (creeks) and did well on mink, muskrats, coons, and got lucky with the occasional fox. It was hard work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It taught me a lot about animals habits. I still have my traps today, with the hopes of taking it up again when I do retire. Which is still a ways off.

The last wild turkey I saw in north Georgia, was sitting on the concrete divider of HWY400 about 15 miles north of Atlanta, looking thin, lost, and frightened. I have no idea how he got there. I am not ashamed to say that I stopped, blocked three lanes of traffic with the Armada, and shooed him across the interstate and into the woods. In my defense, driving an ambulance for over thirty years makes you do stupid things!

The population sure seems down around here in east central TN. Just 5 years ago, I heard LOTS of gobbling in the Spring, and used to see flocks up to 60 birds. This year the woods were mostly silent. No flocks.

The population sure seems down around here in east central TN. Just 5 years ago, I heard LOTS of gobbling in the Spring, and used to see flocks up to 60 birds. This year the woods were mostly silent. No flocks.
See the same thing here in northeast TN, 2 years ago it was common to see 60-70 birds in the wheat field by the farm. Most I've seen this year is 3 hens and 2 Jake's.

I’ve been traveling up to some state land just north of M57 in Michigan. Huge tracts of public land. Last weekend was my opener. Heard one gobble on the roost. Nothing came to calls. Yesterday I went back to another big 2 mile section. Heard two Tom’s on the roost way off. Still nothing came in. Drove around the section checking fields for strutters and didn’t see a one!

I’ve been traveling up to some state land just north of M57 in Michigan. Huge tracts of public land. Last weekend was my opener. Heard one gobble on the roost. Nothing came to calls. Yesterday I went back to another big 2 mile section. Heard two Tom’s on the roost way off. Still nothing came in. Drove around the section checking fields for strutters and didn’t see a one!
Im thinking i need to start turkey hunting before they are gone from where i hunt.

Turkeys were a nuisance when we had a "ranch" near Placerville from 99 to 2016. Groups of 20-30 would descend down the hills like a charge scene from "braveheart" and poop all over when they weren't attacking their own reflections on chrome bumpers. I have heard from new owners this has continued and hunting is just "ok".

Here in NC where I hunt numbers are also down. It appears the hatch has been way off the last several years. Used to see poults with every hen but it’s rare to see poults now. Either the wet springs and most likely predators are taking a toll. Coyotes seem on the rise and as a retiree I’d never seen bobcats till we got turkeys just over twenty years ago. Since then I’ve taken several while deer hunting the same land.

Here in NC where I hunt numbers are also down. It appears the hatch has been way off the last several years. Used to see poults with every hen but it’s rare to see poults now. Either the wet springs and most likely predators are taking a toll. Coyotes seem on the rise and as a retiree I’d never seen bobcats till we got turkeys just over twenty years ago. Since then I’ve taken several while deer hunting the same land.

My money is on the combination of herbicides and predators. Theres big packs of coyotes around and few are hunted. The rice farmers now plant with small checks leaving no cover for wildlife at all. Feral cats ( and wild dogs released from formerly illegal pot farms) have decimated entire species. All this and massive development of former farming land has taken its toll.

Turkeys were a nuisance when we had a "ranch" near Placerville from 99 to 2016. Groups of 20-30 would descend down the hills like a charge scene from "braveheart" and poop all over when they weren't attacking their own reflections on chrome bumpers. I have heard from new owners this has continued and hunting is just "ok".
What was that address ?

Here in NE Arkansas the flocks are down the past two years. Was normal to see them often in a flock up to 3 dozen. Now if I see any it will less than 6. We had large sleet and ice storms two years prior which had a big impact.
This season just ended. I was lucky to have 2 gobblers come to me on a run about 10 days ago. Fast action for sure.
Im hoping for a come back cause cows arent on the large farm now.

20220501_110404.jpg

20220501_110616.jpg

What was that address ?
Old Frenchtown off French creek road. Absolutely Wonderful place except it gets up to 113F for weeks and can't get fire insurance for structures under like 7K/year.

From what I've read, predators take a big toll on turkeys.
Raccoons and possums eat the eggs. Bobcats kill poults and adults. Coyotes, bears kill them too.
Hardly anyone traps anymore. No money in it, so the population of predators is up.
Not a good combination for turkeys.
I took action against the predators you listed. In addition to turkey killing there was an issue with corn stealing and destruction of equipment. The state issues permits to private landowners which allows us to trap or shoot as many possible to balance critter population. I knocked them down to reasonable numbers over winter. It takes effort but can be done.

Last edited:
Back