Declining population ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just returned from N. Central Nebraska and the same story. Not a lot of birds around. To look at the ranch you would have thought birds would be everywhere. The landowner commented about the raccoons, foxes and coyotes. The other big problem like in all hunting, social media and pressure. Not good for the animals.

I've never hunted turkey but want to learn how...I just signed up for a Maryland program to pair wanna-be learners like me with veteran hunters. We will see if they find someone to pair me with.
Find your local NWTF chapter and join. You'll find lots of people willing to share thier knowledge.

I've hunted them just 3 times and each time the hunt never lasted over an hour. I just can't get into spring hunting for some reason plus, I don't care at all for the bird. A friend and his son wanted to hunt and came over. They got setup and next thing I know, 2 shots. 2 long beards down. Now days I run'em off. They ship all over when they come around the bird feeders, then I end up tracking it into the garage. Nope....... stay away.

The coon just tear up the nests and between the darn coyote and bobcat, they take the adult birds. The darn coyotes killed one of last years fawns out back the other night. The one that stayed the longest got really lucky. He departed as I was raising up the 17HMR.

I've never hunted turkey but want to learn how...I just signed up for a Maryland program to pair wanna-be learners like me with veteran hunters. We will see if they find someone to pair me with.
Good for you! Best of luck!
I started by invite from a club member. I was hooked after that. Most times I hunt solo because others are work busy. Club rules currently prevent members from inviting outside immediate family.
I already look forward to next season and hope the hatch is good.

Nothing better than spring turkey season. Just hearing them gobbling in the woods is enough to get the old heart pumping.
I started out back in the 1980's.
Went a few times with a buddy as an observer just to see what it was all about. When he called one to the gun, that did it for me. Lol
Been addicted all these years.

Public land turkey and deer hunting in Iowa is terrible. Way to much pressure from hunters and to much predation. That's just the way it is and won't change. The DNR in Iowa is funded strictly from sales of licenses and deer/turkey tags with no other funds from the state. Private land is better but it also suffers from predation. Just a little bit of a rant but I believe government bureaucracies main concern is what's best for themselves and not necessarily what's best for those they serve.

Managed to get this fella last week with my last tag. I was encouraged to hear about 4 different birds gobbling in the early morning at one of the locations I have hunted for about 5 years now. During the 2021 season I heard no gobbles and saw no birds. I shot this guy around 11:00. Textbook scenario- was calling off and on for about an hour and a half with my decoys in the corner of a corn field and finally this bird answered from approximately 100 yrds off- we talked back and forth for about 30 minutes while he made his way to me. A bird a piece for my daughter and I this year, doesn't get any better in my book.

Attachments

• Cali First Turkey 3-26-2022.jpg
    Cali First Turkey 3-26-2022.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Ryan 5-6-22 6.jpg
    Ryan 5-6-22 6.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 4
I hope you get the opportunity. You can always tackle it on your own. Use the "easier" calls (box, slate/pot) and watch the videos how to use them. I never got the opportunity to hunt turkeys with anyone. I watched you tube videos regarding how to call (gave up on mouth calls), and I pretty much stick to using slates. I fell in love with it after my first season- called in quite a few hens, and had a couple gobblers hung up out of range, but I was hooked. Took me 3 yrs to get my first one, and it took my daughter 3 years to get her first as well. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, the numbers have really decreased around my area(of course I saw plenty before I started hunting them). Best thing you can do is find a good location, with as many birds as possible. Watch calling videos, ask questions on forums (this is a great one for so many aspects of hunting and shooting), read info on turkey hunting. And then just get out there. I don't think anything can replace my love of deer hunting, but turkey hunting is a close second. And if I can help you out I will be glad to answer any questions (I am no expert by any means).

I hope you get the opportunity. You can always tackle it on your own. Use the "easier" calls (box, slate/pot) and watch the videos how to use them. I never got the opportunity to hunt turkeys with anyone. I watched you tube videos regarding how to call (gave up on mouth calls), and I pretty much stick to using slates. I fell in love with it after my first season- called in quite a few hens, and had a couple gobblers hung up out of range, but I was hooked. Took me 3 yrs to get my first one, and it took my daughter 3 years to get her first as well. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, the numbers have really decreased around my area(of course I saw plenty before I started hunting them). Best thing you can do is find a good location, with as many birds as possible. Watch calling videos, ask questions on forums (this is a great one for so many aspects of hunting and shooting), read info on turkey hunting. And then just get out there. I don't think anything can replace my love of deer hunting, but turkey hunting is a close second. And if I can help you out I will be glad to answer any questions (I am no expert by any means).
Thank you. Sir!

Back