Dedicated BH209 Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My BH209 rifles are Knight Disc's and Omega's. Both ignite BH209 reliably and neither needed any major modifications. I do have Lehigh bare primer BP setups in my Knights (as Ron mentioned). You can find Knight Disc rifles on this site regularly - used but in excellent shape, and also (not as often these days) an Omega.
Pawn shops are full of Knight Disc's... obviously you'd have to thoroughly inspect but many a person has stumbled on good deals. Also online classifieds as well.

I'd like to find an Omega, most interested in the older stainless guns. Don't see them as often as I use to.

I’ve really enjoyed my Accura V2. Groups great at the range and I’ve never had an Accura hit deer run very far after it’s shot.

The Omega production factory rifle will reliably ignite Blackhorn powder right now in all kind of weather, whether cold, hot, wet, or whether clean or fouled. Blackhorn worked perfectly in every Omega rifle i ever owned as the factory made them. For a time when Blackhorn was first available, i was totally ignorant about ignition issues when burning Blackhorn. Magnum shotgun primers i didn't use; they were not required. The Omega rifles, and Blackhorn work together.

This is kinda crazy but true

It sounded like you were looking for a New current production rifle?

The T/C's are totally out for me with that ≈ 1" long QLA. They don't make the Omega any longer, you can't even get real stainless on most of their models, and definitely no nitride treatment. The Encores all required trigger and spring kits for best performance. Can't get a fast twist .45 caliber.

The Knights require a minimum of a breech plug upgrade. Some require a bolt adapter kit as well. Bestill ignition upgrade for optimum performance.

The CVA tip-up rifles require a minimum of Blackhorn breech plug. The Paramount will shoot Blackhorn 209 in stock configuration, but will have leaky ignition at some point. Currently there is an optional 209 primer breech plug, or the ASG. LRMP ignition upgrade for optimal performance.

Traditions breech plugs might work for a few shots, but are far from ideal. They need modifications, for optimal performance. No stainless, heavy triggers. Can't get a fast twist .45 caliber.

The Remington UML cannot even use Blackhorn 209 in the OEM breech plug, without voiding your warranty. They also need an expensive upgrade for the ignition system, for optimal performance. Can't get a fast twist .45 caliber.

The "Best" Blackhorn 209 rifle that needs no work, hasn't been built yet, IMO.

Maybe Western Powders will build their rifle and breech plug they have patented, someday? But obviously not today!

Maybe SSK/Lehigh will build it for them?

Time will tell.

One of the best deals on a 1:20 fast twist .45 caliber IMO, is converting a CVA Scout .45-70 into a muzzleloader, by adding a good breech plug. You can buy the rifles as low as $325. They come with a brake and thread cap. Have excellent triggers right from the factory. Come with Weaver style scope base. Have quick takedown forend. Just add the breech plug conversion of your choice from Hank, ASG, Bestill, and you will have not only a Blackhorn 209 shooter, but one capable of shooting exotic powders as well.

I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with the rifle? Hunt, Target shoot, or both?

Do you want a .45 caliber or .50 caliber?

Fast twist, or moderate twist?

Saboted bullet, or sabotless shooter?

209 primer, or LRMP adapters?

Blued, Stainless, or Nitride Treated?

New or used?

Budget / Price Range?

CVA makes the Accura LD in the 1:22 fast twist .45 cal, but you would need to purchase a Blackhorn 209 breech plug for it, unless they include it with that rifle now? I'm not fond of the goose neck and dog leg stocks in the Accura V2's, or the T/C's.

The Accura MR would be my first choice, but they aren't putting the 1:22 fast twist .45 cal barrel on them yet. Those stocks on the Accura MR / PR fit me like a glove.

ruger bh103
I'd like to find an Omega, most interested in the older stainless guns. Don't see them as often as I use to.

I have a blued 45 omega in the classified if you are interested in a blued version

I'll keep my eyes open. Pretty sure I'd prefer a 50 shooting sabot's. Don't have much of a preference on ignition types, just assumed it would be 209. Used would be great, I'll keep looking for an Omega.

I have an TC Omega that has only ever been shot with BH209 and in 10 years, I've never a hangfire. No modifications at all needed. I also have a TC Impact (actually it's a buddy's but I store and shoot it), also no modifications needed. My understanding is the TC Strike will also shoot BH209 flawlessly. The only after market work one would need is maybe cut off the QLA and that is only if you are shooting conicals. Of course you can always tinker with your guns but I would say the best out of the box is the Omega, followed by the Impact.

But the truth is, if shooting BH209 is your main priority, there are plenty of options with very little work. The Knights (non-plunger), CVAs with BH209 dedicated breech plug and some of the smaller companies (Woodman Arms?) will all work.

Im Surprised no one has mentioned a Remington 700 MLS with our hunter 209 kit. Or the stainless Ruger 77/50.

No other muzzle loader have so many aftermarket accessories as the Remington 700 ML

I love mine!

Yours

Tom

ruger bh103

I have a blued 45 omega in the classified if you are interested in a blued version
Both my son and I have blued .50 cal. Omegas. After 3 yrs. of looking he finally found a Stainless fluted Omega that was super clean and he got a very good deal on it.

The new T/C Impact should be out of the box ready for BH209 and its cheap. The QLA could be a issue if shooting conicals. The latest Impact is called the Impact SB and has a quick release style plug now too. Plug is concave sorta like an Omega plug.

KuLSc8e.png

jee, you guys woke my memory up! A friend of mine has an omega he wanted to sell me a while back because he has no time to use it. Maybe i should see if he still has it in his safe. Thanks, always liked them omegas

Have two of the original LHR Redemptions, 20" and 24", 50 calibers. Having Green Mountain barrels, they are both very accurate and specifically designed for 209 primers. They were manufactured between 2013 - 2015 I believe.

A few years ago, Thompson Center bought out LHR, and now markets this rifle in a 24" muzzleloader names the T/C Strike, but it apparently no longer has a Green Mountain barrel:)

Recently purchased a 50 caliber Woodman and, while I have not been able to take it to the range, am very impressed with its light weight, high quality, fit and finish.

BTW, both the LHR and presently produced Woodman were/are manufactured in New Hampshire, have a separate safety, work easily for righties or lefties and are break actions.

I think the omega is probably one of the simplest and most reliable guns ever made.if I could only own one gun it would probably be omega. but I do like my knights

I am very partial to the Thompson Center Pro hunter. I get respectable groups to 300 yards although I only shoot game out to 200. Using Bh 209 has been a game changer for me and my TC. My TC is sub Moa at 100 and a little over at 200 which is mainly my fault as it will hold moa with a lead sled.

I have modified my TC with the help of Bellums TC. New hinge spring, trigger spring, hammer spring. I have forgotten all the parts I switched out. I even filed the sear and the trigger is now 2.5 lbs and crisp. It shoots like a dream. I currently use TC shock-wave 200 grain bullets. I plan to try some other brands but the rifle shoots so well I am reluctant to change. Shot two deer this year and both traveled about 20 yards before falling. It's been the same year after year. It also is a great foul weather rifle as I never miss a chance to hunt in bad weather and have never had a miss fire.

Last year I switched out the barrel for a 20g Turkey barrel using TSS. Killed two gobblers with 10.5 inch beards. The TC is very nice to carry in the woods. Its short and light.

I have another inline muzzle loader but it feels very crude compared to the TC.

I am not sure if this rifle meets the stated goal of this post. It is dedicated to BH 209 but the barrel can be switched out to many other calibers.

Back