Dedicated BH209 Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
What would you guys consider the best factory BH 209 rifle? I have more muzzleloaders than I should, but nothing BH compatable. All T/C side hammers and Knight plunger guns.

Would really perfer an American made rifle, but am open to others.

Thanks for any feedback.

I’m waiting to see the new Lehigh mongrel.

Not much factory made today that doesn't need "something" done that can make it better.
The absolute best would be a custom build and you'd be a happy camper for a long time.
Short of that, I'd look at the .45cal fast twist Knight rifles. Next would be the new CVA Paramount in .45cal. However IMO both of these rifles need modifications to their breech plugs, which is easily obtainable.
Not a thing, nothing, against the Lehigh rifle that hasn't even made its debut yet, but my suspicion is it will be quite awhile before its considered one of the "best".

I’ve had great success with the CVA’s.
Order the BH209 breech plug & go to it. Optima, MR, Accura, or a used Apex are all tack drivers. Easy to use & easy to clean & wont break the bank

Greg

Unfortunately after almost 12 years of Blackhorn 209, that production factory rifle hasn't been built yet, IMO.

They all need some kind of upgrade to even be considered reliable and blowback free, let alone the "best".

The Nitride treated fast twist .45 calibers with a good ignition system are where I would be looking, shooting sabotless. Unless your planning on hunting elk in Colorado? You'll need a .50 cal or larger for that.

Sad, isn't it?

I really like older Knight rifles. May try to find a Disc Extreme and have a custom breech plug made. Any suggestions on where to look?

The Omega production factory rifle will reliably ignite Blackhorn powder right now in all kind of weather, whether cold, hot, wet, or whether clean or fouled. Blackhorn worked perfectly in every Omega rifle i ever owned as the factory made them. For a time when Blackhorn was first available, i was totally ignorant about ignition issues when burning Blackhorn. Magnum shotgun primers i didn't use; they were not required. The Omega rifles, and Blackhorn work together.

The Omega production factory rifle will reliably ignite Blackhorn powder right now in all kind of weather, whether cold, hot, wet, or whether clean or fouled. Blackhorn worked perfectly in every Omega rifle i ever owned as the factory made them. For a time when Blackhorn was first available, i was totally ignorant about ignition issues when burning Blackhorn. Magnum shotgun primers i didn't use; they were not required. The Omega rifles, and Blackhorn work together.
Could not have said it better my self. The Omega is a tank. All my Omega's shoot flawlessly with Blackhorn 209.

I started with the Accura V2. Can't use a scope here yet so I did upgrade to peep sight and Lyman front. I've tried shimming the primer pocket and my groups opened up. I'll try the Lehigh BP when the other wears out. So for now I carry the stuck primer extractor in a cord with my bullet starter. I bought a extra CVA BP thinking my primer hole was too big but the new one measures the same. Pin gauges tell me I have no wear. No big task to pop the primer out . And way faster than swabbing after every shot. This is my dedicated Blackhorn rifle.

I have 2 BH209 guns.
#1 CVA Accura v2 PR with Hankins DIS
Super clean and reliable but not a cheap upgrade. Better than Orings imho. I also have the Lehigh BP for it with ventliners and orings. And I converted the loose powder bp to take ventliners. All 3 work great now.
#2 Knight original disc .45 1:20 with the Extreme bolt and Lehigh bare primer upgrade then shimmed for Federal 209a primers.
Both shot BH209 well, before mods and better afterwards. The Accura is cleanest and the knight is more accurate. I shoot conicals in both.

I'm new to this inline game. A trusted gun shop in Colorado set me up for a long range ML rifle. Traditions strikerfire LDR, 6.5 lbs., 30" barrel. with bh209 and Fed borlok 350gr bullets. Decent price and no modification needed. Unless your are recoil sensitive, I recommend it.

Unfortunately after almost 12 years of Blackhorn 209, that production factory rifle hasn't been built yet, IMO.

They all need some kind of upgrade to even be considered reliable and blowback free, let alone the "best".

The Nitride treated fast twist .45 calibers with a good ignition system are where I would be looking, shooting sabotless. Unless your planning on hunting elk in Colorado? You'll need a .50 cal or larger for that.

Sad, isn't it?

I bought a Woodman Arms muzzle loader made in New Hampshire and its specifically designed for black horn 209! It's nitride treated and can be had in .45 or .50 caliber.
It's light and very accurate!

Having shot ML's exclusively for awhile now I've probably gotten a little picky. I'm not sure I've owned or heard of a ML that doesn't leave the factory still needing a little work. Don't get me wrong, there's some good muzzleloaders out there but they still need a little modification to be the perfect gun. That said, if I was going to purchase a new ML off the shelf today it would probably be a Rem UML, but th an I'd have a new ASG breech plug out in. In my opinion the modifications are half the fun. Currently I shoot a modified Encore and am very happy with it. I am most interested in the new Lehigh Mongrel.

OEM Savage MLII shot BH209 just fine also. The 2009 Cabelas/Savage ML-BP was one of the first rifles to have BH209 load data in the manual.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/savage-cabelas-gets-it-right.12012/

Unless you need a BH209 rifle right now, i would wait and see what the Lehigh ML will offer and for how much. Im sure BH209 reliability is one of their main goals with this new rifle.

Last edited:
All of my in-lines are 209 dedicated. All are CVA and needed some simple breech work done to take vent liners and I could not be happier.

Latest posts

Back