Deep sea scallops anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, scallops. Love them. The best scallops I ever had were at Barker's Island Yacht Club restaurant in Superior, Wisconsin right on Lake Superior. Ma and I won a dinner there. I had the scallops.... 8 of the biggest chucks of fish flesh I have ever seen, broiled to perfection. The fries weren't bad either. Or the drinks.

The big most productive scallop grounds are South of the Grand Banks and outside of George’s Bank which includes the Gulf of Maine or outside of Cape Cod. Almost all deep scallops that come to the states are out of New Bedford, MA the largest fleet of scallop draggers in the world. They are cold water beds and the shells look like the Shell oil company symbol about 8” diameter. Nice scallops run 2 - 2 1/2” across and about 1” thick. You can’t go wrong cooking these scallops any way you want including chemically with citrus juice marinades. I spent years inspecting the New Bedford/ Fairhaven fleet so never paid for them. Living in Michigan now I really miss this seafood. the other Scallop is the Bay Scallop only about 1/2” they are harvested with draggers also but in coastal shallow water. Deep water scallops cost more because there are closely monitored harvest limits and it’s a long steam getting to the grounds often in very tough weather.

Then there are the fake Chinese or oriental food scallops which are counterfeit as they often use skate wings with a cookie cutter device.

who ask you anyway
Rick

Last edited:
76, 3 days ago...love deep sea scallops...most places do not serve real deep sea scallops but some imitation junk, be careful or know the owner... I used to dive for them in a previous life...along with abalone...not to mention spearing fish in the kelp beds. Now I'm hungry...

Now Pierre you’ve crossed the line when you brought up abalone. When I was younger we could dive pink abs in 50‘ or less off So Cal and Baja. I still have my abalone irons and I live in Michigan now, talk about a hallucinating. The few abalone & urchin divers I still know are working depths to 150’ or more. That’s a tough way to make a living, no hookah rigs at that depth They truly are some of the finest eating seafood. In New Zealand they call them Paua and they are big and cheap as nobody seems to care for them

Rick

Hey Rick,
50' nothing...they were to be found in very shallow water. No tanks just snorkels and masks. One of our favorite spots was Russian Gulch State Park in Mendocino CA. I'd say less than 20' (me thinks???) of water. Most people avoided the area due to the heavy surf and tons of sea urchins. But this was back in the late 60's. The other area was adjacent to the Coast Guard Light House station near there. Those some the days...Ling were also very numerous and easy to spear.

I’ve heard this but you were up far North in colder kelpier waters than where we dove. Abs normally dont like warmer waters especially the bigger pink ones. Green abs could be found in close and warmer water and they are tasty but much smaller. Bottom line was in the late 50’s early 60’s off So Cal and North Baja coast all the easy abs got picked out so you had to go deeper and deeper. Of course regulations have shut it all down.

Regards
Rick

I’ve heard this but you were up far North in colder kelpier waters than where we dove. Abs normally dont like warmer waters especially the bigger pink ones. Green abs could be found in close and warmer water and they are tasty but much smaller. Bottom line was in the late 50’s early 60’s off So Cal and North Baja coast all the easy abs got picked out so you had to go deeper and deeper. Of course regulations have shut it all down.

Regards
Rick
Concur, went back there on leave while on our honeymoon in the mid 70's...abalone was all gone in the shallow waters. Plus we had too many yahoos going down with tanks getting the abalone and putting them in weighted bags then going back later with just a mask and snorkel to retrieve them.

Latest posts

Back