Deer Damage Permits

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lived on farms or acreage most of my life, except for a few of my working years. Fencing is EXPENSIVE! You can't put up just a field/livestock fence and expect to keep deer out of a field. You need at least 8 foot high fence and even then it won't keep the determined out. Not only the expense of the fence itself, but also the posts, then there's of course the surveyor required, then the time and labor to install. Its not an easy or cheap task for farmers and unless many can get some kind of a grant, it never happens. When you have 150+ deer in a single field during the early crop season, you have too many deer.

I understand those who have limited numbers of animals, but on the other hand there are those who are over run with animals, especially the eastern states. History from just about all states indicate its hard to completely manage wildlife. Especially according to the hunter.

They plan on WAXING a huge number of whitetail, ANY whitetail, this summer in our area. We however are dealing with bTB. When the QDM people talked the state into antler point restrictions in the area, the bTB rate skyrocketed. After a number of years, its now back to any buck with antlers 3" (inches) or longer. I've heard that they plan on taking 900 out of a couple counties, minimum.

Oh yeah the management debate. Here in Virginia the DGIF gives out 24-365 permits like tictacks. Toytruck should check on the recovery prohibited part of the regs here in VA. I certainly remind every CPO that the permit holders violate law all the time and list the violations and they simply get red faced and walk away to never do their jobs... The permits are variances on the state regs on season, limits and shooting at night. They do not allow shooting from vehicles, shooting from public roads or use of prohibited weapons or shooting on properties not listed on the permits. The favorite way for the farmers here to operate is use a 22magnum or 17HMR and gut shoot so the deer run out the field and then the buzzards don't make a mess in the field and no bones scattered in the field. Heck, the shooters don't even have to have a hunting license AND recovering any of the killed animals is prohibited except in the town and city municipal areas, the deer are WASTED as required by law. The CPOs here DO NOT like to talk or see me at any time.... In some areas the land owners do not allow any hunting but get permits for "population control". The local hunt clubs are not allowed to manage the population on these properties and there are hard feelings over the control issues. There has even been sabotage such as old barbed wire and sections of old rusty fence placed in corn and soybean fields where the farmer/landowners prohibit hunting but shoot out of season etc.... Nothing gets peoples attention like a $250K combine sitting in a field with 300 feet of old barbed wire wound up in it.... Well enuff ranting. Be safe and good luck hunting. W

Lewis, I'm not sure how high a whitetail can jump, but I'd hate to have to put up a deer-proof fence high enough to keep out the mule deer in Idaho. The Fish and Game, or Forest Service, or somebody, put up a fence in part of the deer wintering grounds where I grew up. It's been a few years (+40) but I swear it was a good 8-10 feet. Those mulies jumped it like it was nothing. From the down-hill side. :shock: Okay, the fawns didn't, but the grown deer did.

Read my Posts above in there entirety. If you ever live through, and experience what i have, And you are a “True” Hunter, You might understand why i feel the way i do

QDM guys are not a friend of hunters. To have someone tell me what kind of deer I can shoot just because they hunt antlers is greedy!! Yeah I'm retired and can hunt start to finish of season but was a time when I couldn't. Then to have only a handful of days to hunt and have to pass deer just because some greedy antler hunter don't want me to shoot a deer... I've hunted in antler point restricted areas and I certainly like the guys who pass up deer, more for me! I've often heard the "I'd never shoot ...... kind of deer." Then when they seem to think I'm like minded they act all offended when I am not in agreement. Then of course I live in VA and this is a hound hunting area too, shotguns and ML only. I love deer hunting with hounds and anyone who thinks it's not sporting has never been south and done it. I think it's certainly not very sporting to sit in a elevated house over a planted food plot or bait and simply sniper shoot deer. Yes I've done that and it's really boring and requires almost no skill whatsoever, just do what the guide or whoever tells you, put the rifle in the holder or sled, and put the dot on the deer and squeeze the trigger. Glad this is USA and choices are available. The ease of sniping deer is certainly what some people want to do and unskilled woodsmen can do that and makes them happy. Just don't expect me to pass up deer because you want them to grow another year. W

wolfer said:
Oh yeah the management debate. Here in Virginia the DGIF gives out 24-365 permits like tictacks. Toytruck should check on the recovery prohibited part of the regs here in VA. I certainly remind every CPO that the permit holders violate law all the time and list the violations and they simply get red faced and walk away to never do their jobs... The permits are variances on the state regs on season, limits and shooting at night. They do not allow shooting from vehicles, shooting from public roads or use of prohibited weapons or shooting on properties not listed on the permits. The favorite way for the farmers here to operate is use a 22magnum or 17HMR and gut shoot so the deer run out the field and then the buzzards don't make a mess in the field and no bones scattered in the field. Heck, the shooters don't even have to have a hunting license AND recovering any of the killed animals is prohibited except in the town and city municipal areas, the deer are WASTED as required by law. The CPOs here DO NOT like to talk or see me at any time.... In some areas the land owners do not allow any hunting but get permits for "population control". The local hunt clubs are not allowed to manage the population on these properties and there are hard feelings over the control issues. There has even been sabotage such as old barbed wire and sections of old rusty fence placed in corn and soybean fields where the farmer/landowners prohibit hunting but shoot out of season etc.... Nothing gets peoples attention like a $250K combine sitting in a field with 300 feet of old barbed wire wound up in it.... Well enuff ranting. Be safe and good luck hunting. W
Wow! I don't know where you came up with all of that, some is true some is not!

Any weapon is allowed like said even at night an by spotlight, but I don't have the resources to do that. The permit is your license for taking these deer during the kill permit period. Mine ends the last of Sept. The cornfield I have the permit has the deer coming in from another property with a 15 yd. road around the field, so my shots are very limited. The weather had been a big factor . I have seen a family of raccoons do more damage so far than the deer have. They are out of season.
If I kill it I will use the meat or see that it is used! You are wrong on that, the meat can be used for human consumption, it's on the permit an is in the code of law covering these permits.

I was told a farm up the road had killed 50 deer plowed them under and got another permit to do the same. I won't be a part of that with all the hungry people in this world its a darn shame!

Latest posts

Back