Deer down!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Thanks again to Snapbang for inviting me to the deer drive on prime land. Nailed a nice size doe to fill that freezer.

Used a hand loaded 147 grain xtp with 27 grain lil gun and Magnum primer out of the bear Creek aresonal 350 legend ar 15.

No pics sorry she's already at the processor. Enjoy your season thanks for allowing me to share.

Thank you, thank you.

My tags are filled. Bought the combo fish/hunt license.

For those outside of Michigan a combo license comes with 2 deer tags (one tag is restricted to a buck with 4 points) and a annual "all species" fishing license about 70ish dollars for residents.

This particular year during late antlerless season hunters are permitted to use a unused buck tag.

I have been made aware that spring holds the turkey season. Hopefully I will be turkey hunting in the beautiful Michigan countryside. Till then more squirrel hunting to hone my skills.

I enjoy the sport of hunting and the critters taste pretty darn good. Also appreciate my role in helping control the population.

Make no mistake the deer are intelligent and very aware of life and death. Perhaps more intelligent than we give them credit for.

I have seen deer act very "human lik e" today. Out of group of four deer I shot one. The rest stood around for a few seconds looking at each other wondering whether to run.

one of them turned around purposely to look at the deer that was shot. It seems to me as soon as the deer made the connection that the other deer that I shot was injured it went into flight mode. Why did it look back to see his friend on the ground? Rather than just flee from a sound hurt like a mindless animal it seemingly showed concern for the one deer that wasn't following it.

That said I have heard about and have seen some deer do dumb things so take that with a grain of salt. Lol

Thanks guys, Last night I sent a text to the group thanking them for being polite to my guests. They are a great group. It changes members a little from year to year and even week to week. We had 21 people when muzzy was there and only 10 last week. With Christmas its hard to get everyone together because of family plans. We all have a great time and help manage the deer a little. Even after the hunting season we have too many deer. We will do it again next year so get ready.

Back