Deer kill with muzzleloader shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
Shotgun Doe.jpg Dad, me, and our alpha dog, Spot got it done yesterday! She was a running full at 40 to 50 yards. I put my TK-2000 six inches in front of her chest and shot (shaking like a leave from excitement) and heard her drop 20 yards further but couldn't see 4 sure. Dad came around with his truck and she was laying 5 feet from the trail. What a hunt! Made me so happy to finally get one with the extra-full choke "turkey gun".

Last edited:
What was your load? Buckshot, slug or larger shot? I was squirrel hunting several years ago during late ML season here after not seeing any deer on the property. A mid size 3 point walked by me an I almost shot him with #6 shot, (close enough for a head shot) but didn't as I was afraid of wounding him.

What was your load? Buckshot, slug or larger shot? I was squirrel hunting several years ago during late ML season here after not seeing any deer on the property. A mid size 3 point walked by me an I almost shot him with #6 shot, (close enough for a head shot) but didn't as I was afraid of wounding him.
00 buckshot. I put 120 grains 2f pyrodex, 2 over-powder wads, 1 lubed cushion wad, 15-00 buckshot with equal volume buffer, and 1 thin over-shot wad.

120 grains 2f pyrodex, 2 over-powder-wads, 1 cushion wad, 15- 00 buckshot with buffer, and a thin over-shot-wad

That's awesome, I've shot a couple with OO in my pump gun before, if the opportunity comes up again ( state park management hunt ) I may have to experiment with my TK
Were you using the jug choke ? Of did you buy something different from knight ?

Nice fat tasty doe! Yum.
Like them fat girls do ya.......lol !!!
I got a cva? 12 ga SxS kit new , but its missing the whole double trigger assembly . Cant find one either . I dont think it has chokes . Id use big patched roundballs if it would shoot them . Missing triggers is why i havent even started on it .
Good shooting on that doe !!!

Like them fat girls do ya.......lol !!!
I got a cva? 12 ga SxS kit new , but its missing the whole double trigger assembly . Cant find one either . I dont think it has chokes . Id use big patched roundballs if it would shoot them . Missing triggers is why i havent even started on it .
Good shooting on that doe !!!
Just teaseing ya muzzy !!!

That's awesome, I've shot a couple with OO in my pump gun before, if the opportunity comes up again ( state park management hunt ) I may have to experiment with my TK
Were you using the jug choke ? Of did you buy something different from knight ?
I use the jug choke with the extra-full turkey choke that came with the gun. I went through 4 pounds of buck shot with different wads and powder until I got this very decent load pattern. 120 grains of 2f pryodex, 2 over powder cards, 1 lubed .5 inch cushion wad, 15-00 buckshot with equal volume of buffer, and 1 over shot card. I love my TK 2000!

Latest posts

Back