Deer liver and heart?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gonads are pretty good fried gently in butter a la Meateater. Fed it to half a dozen club members and all complimented it.
I second that club, no nuts and no guts. I would probably kick the sheet out of anyone that fed them to me without my knowledge. Next thing they will want fried peckers and onions. Lol

I let them know from the start and cooked them right before their eyes.
I am quite sure you did a wonderful job at that! However i have never been that hungry to eat a male reproducing gland and never will. The thought if it makes me just want to puke. I guess its just me as i know other people eat these mountain oysters. Have a great day and i will not be eating supper with you tonight sir.. lol

I grind the heart up and mix it with other grinder meat. The liver depends on how it looks. I’ve had them look funky and tossed them. If the look good, I slice them them maybe 1/4 inch, soak overnight in milk (learned that from meateater) fry bacon pieces, save, fry onions in the grease and then the liver…serve them all together. Delicious. Tossed this one. Not sure what those were but not touching it. I’ve also turned liver into jerky strips for my dog.
Looks like beginning stage of liver fluke infection

I love the heart and liver but really guys are you telling me your shots are missing the heart or liver. Seems like too many of my shots tear up both lungs and heart or if too far aft I end up with pieces of rib thru the liver. Just my luck I guess but the tongues are always intact and tongue is delicious just boiled or braised and cut cold for sandwiches or diced in scrambled eggs.
Rick

I love the heart and liver but really guys are you telling me your shots are missing the heart or liver. Seems like too many of my shots tear up both lungs and heart or if too far aft I end up with pieces of rib thru the liver.
Rick
I shoot 2/3 of the way up and a few inches behind the shoulder. The bullet goes under the backstrap and over the heart/liver but clips both lungs on the way thru. The up side is every shot's a killer and no meat is ruined. The down side is the deer will go anywhere from 25 to 200 yds before dropping. Also the blood won't be ejected until the lungs fill and the deer caughs it out. At that point a blind man could follow it. I usually see the deer drop but if I lose it I just go out 100 yds from my tree and make a circle until I pick up blood.

We are a fan of grilled heart. I make liverwurst with the liver every now and then. I took a buck last year with a bow and clipped the top of the heart with a rage Broadhead. Not much meat loss. The deer I took with a rifle ( 257 Roberts) clipped the heart but we trimmed it up and ate some.

Attachments

• PXL_20221212_185043395.jpg
    PXL_20221212_185043395.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Nothing like stuffed deer heart, we used the liver and kidney`s, There is also a dish of stomach, kidneys, heart, spleen, lungs but we here in the USA we don`t do that.....But I can say if ya know you know and Yes I could eat it again

I would save hearts in the freezer, when I had enough I would make what I called 5 heart stew.Trimmed hearts were put in the slow cooker .We cooked them like any other stew recipe.deelish !

Back