Deer liver and heart?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to save liver & heart - if either was in good shape. For the heart, clean it off really good. Soak the heart in water with pickling spice overnight in the refrigerator. Slice it thin (1/4 in thick), flour it and fry in bacon grease just until it's brown. Mmm, good.!

I have a funny tale about saving deer liver... I was hunting in Maryland in some thick woods fairly close to my father one morning. I shot a nice young doe. I gutted her out and put the liver in the ziplock bag I carry in my pack and put the bag back in my pack - the heart wasn't salvageable.

I had just started dragging my deer when .. ka-boom! my father shot. We each had cheap 2-way radios back then to stay in touch, so after about 15 minutes, I called him and asked what he got. He said could only find hair, so I told him I would walk over towards the sound of his shot ( I had plenty of orange on). I finally got over to him and we commenced a circular search of the area around the hair. After a few minutes, my father found a few drops of blood. So he marked it with TP and kept following the blood, marking each drop with TP. After a while, we noticed that the darned deer was making a strange-shaped circle! Remember that ziplock with the liver in my pack? Well, unbeknownst to my father, it was in my pack, and unbeknownst to me, it was leaking! This all became evident when we we standing discussing the odd behavior of the "deer" that we were "tracking". My father noticed the pool of blood where I was standing and thought that deer must be right there somewhere. He was really disappointed when I revealed what I found with my pack.

I put the pack down and we started searching the direction the deer originally went - since any blood near the initial hair was probably from the liver. By following the kicked up leaves and broken branches, we were able to located that deer about 50 - 60 yards away from the initial hair through the heavy, holly & laurel thicket. We never found a single drop of that deer's blood until we got to where he laid.

I think that was the last liver I kept, but still kept, and plan on keeping, any hearts that are in good shape.

I grind the heart up and mix it with other grinder meat. The liver depends on how it looks. I’ve had them look funky and tossed them. If the look good, I slice them them maybe 1/4 inch, soak overnight in milk (learned that from meateater) fry bacon pieces, save, fry onions in the grease and then the liver…serve them all together. Delicious. Tossed this one. Not sure what those were but not touching it. I’ve also turned liver into jerky strips for my dog.

Attachments

• 7FDFC1B9-355B-4388-9241-68EBD41F302B.jpeg
    7FDFC1B9-355B-4388-9241-68EBD41F302B.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 0
Organ Meat sausages are pretty good (I like Blutwurst, but there's not much blood left in the deer by the time you get it back home)

Otherwise, we tended to pressure-cook heart. (didn't matter what animal it came out of (other than smaller animals like rabbit and chicken)

In the past, most hunters would relish the thought of eating heart and liver. Traditionally, this was the first thing eaten when in hunting camp. I fondly remember the first deer, a nice buck, I shot as a teenager in the Keystone State with my Dad. We were happy and I remember the words," You are now a man". Very important social marker that is sadly missing in society.

Anyways. That taste of heart and liver from the deer was great. But over time, some health experts have decreed such things as being rather unhealthy. The liver can hold toxins like nickle, cadmium and mercury. Back then, most people couldn't spell cholesterol never mind know or care what it is. The heart now is supposed to be filled with it.

So. What is your opinion of heart and liver? Do you eat it? Do you leave it in the woods? Do you give it away? Thanks.
I always save the liver and heart if it's not shot up to bad.
Love liver and onions smothered down in gravy served over rice !!!
Cut the heart up and fry it up . It's a little tough but has good flavore.

In the past, most hunters would relish the thought of eating heart and liver. Traditionally, this was the first thing eaten when in hunting camp. I fondly remember the first deer, a nice buck, I shot as a teenager in the Keystone State with my Dad. We were happy and I remember the words," You are now a man". Very important social marker that is sadly missing in society.

Anyways. That taste of heart and liver from the deer was great. But over time, some health experts have decreed such things as being rather unhealthy. The liver can hold toxins like nickle, cadmium and mercury. Back then, most people couldn't spell cholesterol never mind know or care what it is. The heart now is supposed to be filled with it.

So. What is your opinion of heart and liver? Do you eat it? Do you leave it in the woods? Do you give it away? Thanks.
I love me some deer liver smothered down in onion gravy served over smashed taters or rice. 😋😋😋

I come from country folk, so hearts & liver were eaten. I've never ever liked any liver, I can't even stand the smell of it being cooked, but we were forced to eat it when thats what momma made. I still keep & eat the hearts & I'm another one that doesn't care in the least about cholesterol. I'll eat, drink, & smoke what I like & won't what I don't like, until its check out time & that's just that.. My fam would eat brains too, NOT ME

I keep it for the cats

I've eaten many things that are disgusting and that would make one's mama throw up. But, I will never eat any internal organs (did once) from a critter and I can only think YUK!

Whenever there's a buck on the ground camp supper that night is heart, liver, potatoes and onions. I'm drooling just typing this!

Back when I was at home, til I joined the Army at 18, we ate whatever mom/grandmom cooked. Have eaten plenty of deer/elk heart and liver. Once I left home, "No thank you".

Back