Deer scents and lures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never found a mineral block that seemed to work. I use salt blocks that work great. In NY we have to take them in by Sep 15 but I still have deer coming to the stump that I had my salt blocks on.

As for scents I shoot my biggest bucks when I used to smoke (quit in 1976). But now use scent free soaps on me and my clothing.

one time i tried a mineral block it seemed to not have any affect. After it dissolved tho, all kinds of critters came to that spot and tore up the ground for several years after.

I was told that PA, (Pensilvania} Spelling problem sorry, had a problem with antler growth that was traced back to using salt blocks that were designed for livestock that also had antibiotics included in them. After they had the salt blocks moved into the barnyard the problem was resolved. Salt is cheap enough, we have alwys used an old tree stump that disperses the salt thru the roots. So my thought is not to use blocks designed for livestock. I don't know a thing about the mineral blocks. New York DEC forbids it although it seems to be overlooked., and commonly done.

I always had good luck using James Valley products. Scrape gel and full rut doe scent. Nobody around me carries it, so I recently bought some Tinks 69. Seems like the Tinks just doesn't smell right, like it's watered down or something? Anybody have their own favorite?
I don't really care enough anymore to go to the trouble of scent trails and such, but years ago when I did James Valley was the only one that worked as advertised.

I wash my clothes in non-scented detergent but that's about it.Down here in Florida you're already sweating before the front door closes behind you .I just work the wind. I worry about scent most in archery hunting. I've had pretty good luck with salt stones.Not enough to go out and buy one every season. If I change a food plot or move one, I will add salt stone.

Back