Deer scents and lures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had mixed results with Tinks products, haven’t bought any in a couple years now. One of the places I hunt you can play the wind, the other is a smaller tract where you will be in the wind and have to spray down or get busted.
we us spray more than anything else and have good results.

https://www.amazon.com/HECS-Hunting...P,B009O5SGN0,B07H9T5BQB,B0059WB3DC,B081QW5FJY
Any of you all tried this HEC's clothing? I have no connection to this product other than I have owned one now for many years. I hunt entirely on the ground now after a tree stand fall in 1993. I have had deer nearly walk up to me, the buck in my avatar did. Squirrels just look at me an don't get alarmed. You still have to watch the wind of course, but this garment works!! I just ordered a second set for backup. Got $38 off cyber Monday coupon....

I've used dollar store Vanilla Extract when bowhunting..I don't know how well it would work in extreme cold or with snow on the ground? Maybe if sprayed on a bush or side of a tree?

Since I saw Fred Trost's Michigan Outdoors episodes about the scent industry, and his experiments with live wild deer, visits with MSU animal and scent experts (when I was growing up): I lost all faith in most of the urine the industry sells... along with cover scents, and their claims of efficacy.

If I want urine to influence deer: I started pissing out of my blind/stand whenever it suited me, and pissing on scrapes as desired....

The attractant smells are another matter though. I don't use them, but they seem to pique curiosity in deer at times and can influence their behavior.

If you haven't heard about Fred Trost taking on the scent industry, and loosing his shirt in the ensuing law suits... its an eye opener to the industry.

Last edited:
About 20 - 25 years ago there was a product called "Still Steamin" estrous urine that (for me at least) seemed to work well. A 10 point gave up chasing 3 northbound does in the woodlot at ~160 yards. He followed the scent trail I'd laid down while walking to my stand that early 5am. He came from east to west, with the wind coming from the west, right toward my stand. He walked through thick brush and high grass and was swinging his head up and down. I had a "Code Blue" tarsal gland hanging from my tree. I think it might have ticked him off as the combination really seemed to work exactly as planned. He got within 40 yards when I popped him in the chest.
He died with 2 broken hearts. One from dashed emotional opportunities (blue balls) and the other from my Lightfield 12 guage slug.
When I look at the mount he seems to look at me as if asking 'why would you do that to me while in pursuit of hot poohter? What did I ever do to you???".

Since I saw Fred Trost's Michigan Outdoors episodes about the scent industry, and his experiments with live wild deer, visits with MSU animal and scent experts (when I was growing up): I lost all faith in most of the urine the industry sells... along with cover scents, and their claims of efficacy.

If I want urine to influence deer: I started pissing out of my blind/stand whenever it suited me, and pissing on scrapes as desired....

The attractant smells are another matter though. I don't use them, but they seem to pique curiosity in deer at times and can influence their behavior.

If you haven't heard about Fred Trost taking on the scent industry, and loosing his shirt in the ensuing law suits... its an eye opener to the industry.
I ordinarily just use a scent killer spray. But peeing on a scrape or off the tree stand too, doesnt seem to hurt. I see bucks stopping to check it out occasionally.

My dad used to use an apple scent. He swore by it, but I never could confirm that it actually worked. But I sure smelled nice.

I read an article that said human pee would spook elk. I'll try peeing on a scrape if I ever find one. Don't see a lot in muley country.

I watched a bull elk walk towards us one early morning. I could see our trail through the wet grass, and as soon as he hit that trail, he bolted. I guess I should have used scent killer. I got him 4 days later.

I use a deer call made by ELK. It works on mule deer and elk. I haven't tried it successfully on the rare Coues deer we have here.

I tried to talk my wife into giving me a used tampon many years ago. Nope! If you use Doe in heat lure it's no guarantee! It works if the stars and moon lines up just right! I walk into the wind or quarter it, I also use scent killer but you can't kill all your scent, not breathing would help! Good luck you stinky bastards!
Nit Wit

Over the long term I had very few good results to report.. This season I tested several scent products primarily because I found them at reduced cost.

Starting with scrape starter in known scrapes. That product seem to work well. Installing a scrape dripping to same scrape to keep them hot back fired. After a few days deer moved to at different spot several yards away to start new scrape.
As for rut buck and doe urine moderate to little interest.

Home made acorn spray scent work best of all to attract deer repeatedly.

Salt lick mineral base liquid solutions or blocks had low interest. This includes Apple favored hanging blocks. Maybe because no Apple trees in area.

Salt mineral livestock block works moderately well because they last for up to a year. I had one site that turned into a large hole after a few years due to high use. The block originally was placed on a stump. The blocks are normally less than 15 bucks.
As for scent killing agents I like them as well as clothing. My experience of being down wind and unnoticed is very good. May a sound and you're blown out.

Last edited:
Years ago I put mineral blocks out. Like your experience, the deer absolutely tore up the ground after block had dissolved, about a year. I recall noticing back then that it was a wet year with the blocks lasting surprisingly long.

Years ago I put mineral blocks out. Like your experience, the deer absolutely tore up the ground after block had dissolved, about a year. I recall noticing back then that it was a wet year with the blocks lasting surprisingly long.
Yeah! At 35 lbs they're going to. It's a better bang for the buck than most.

Latest posts

Back