Desperately need help with firearms decision

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Given recent events and upcoming reactionary gun legislation I am looking at purchasing 2 assault rifles ( I hate that term).

It's a big investment and I need advice. The rifles are the Century Arms VSKA trooper (american made) and the palmetto armory Ar-15 with m lock the a4 style.

The ak is 900 bucks the ar15 is 680.

This is a lot of money that I'm investing and honestly I'd like them to last and I want them to be somewhat good quality I've heard bad things about century arms blowing up but I don't know if that's operator error or what.

Now a brief rant.
I'm having a hard time justifing coming up with the money to pay for these but I want them before a ban or mandatory buyback.

What I don't understand is that these are not similar to the military style rifles that are used. It's an insult to compare them to those for the purpose of gaining support to ban them.

There is no 3 position selector. The civilian ar and ak are semi automatic. It insults my intelligence when politicians claim that they are the same rifles meant only for killing.

Also what is the big deal exactly?what do they have a problem with the scary look of the AR? It's a semi-automatic rifle much like many other semi-automatic rifles on the market. So again what exactly is the issue is it the cartridge? The 556 is not allowed then they should ban it in bolt actions as well.

honestly not one bit of gun legislation that I've heard makes any sense at all. I've said it time and time again but the solution is stiffer penalties for people that would use firearms to commit a crime. Leave the legitimate law-abiding gun owners alone.

Given recent events and upcoming reactionary gun legislation I am looking at purchasing 2 assault rifles ( I hate that term).

It's a big investment and I need advice. The rifles are the Century Arms VSKA trooper (american made) and the palmetto armory Ar-15 with m lock the a4 style.

The ak is 900 bucks the ar15 is 680.

This is a lot of money that I'm investing and honestly I'd like them to last and I want them to be somewhat good quality I've heard bad things about century arms blowing up but I don't know if that's operator error or what.

Now a brief rant.
I'm having a hard time justifing coming up with the money to pay for these but I want them before a ban or mandatory buyback.

What I don't understand is that these are not similar to the military style rifles that are used. It's an insult to compare them to those for the purpose of gaining support to ban them.

There is no 3 position selector. The civilian ar and ak are semi automatic. It insults my intelligence when politicians claim that they are the same rifles meant only for killing.

Also what is the big deal exactly?what do they have a problem with the scary look of the AR? It's a semi-automatic rifle much like many other semi-automatic rifles on the market. So again what exactly is the issue is it the cartridge? The 556 is not allowed then they should ban it in bolt actions as well.

honestly not one bit of gun legislation that I've heard makes any sense at all. I've said it time and time again but the solution is stiffer penalties for people that would use firearms to commit a crime. Leave the legitimate law-abiding gun owners alone.
Lucky if you get satisfaction with low end ARs (depends on your needs) ,some of ones I lost had uppers in that range . But I guess it doesn"t matter if they confiscate your toys . The problem is you can not show up at a range /drive down the road or hunt with the above mentioned if banned ,so yup think hard before buying!/Ed

Last edited:
I bought a Ruger AR556 which some would consider an entry-level AR back somewhere around '08. Its been a great gun. Have since upgraded some parts to personalize it but nothing was really needed. I bought it just to have for emergency situations but the thing I didn't expect is how easy it has been to teach my kids on. My son who is now 10 has more rounds through it than I do and he's been shooting it off shooting sticks since he was 6. No recoil and the adjustable stock make them great for any size shooter. ARs are just a really fun platform to plink with.

I have several PSA ARs and they have proven to be of good quality and are a great value. I reload and only one of my PSAs is still shooting over MOA. Lots of reviews on YouTube...

Purchasing the lower (serial-numbered part) and upper separately will save you some money..

PSA = Palmetto State Armory
https://palmettostatearmory.com/

Yes it's hard to try to figure out whether to buy one or not given the current events.

You asked if it's a rant. No. I am trying to tell you where I'm at to help better understand my position and conflict on pulling the trigger with an expensive purchase. I have a lot of uncertainty the Political environment and the quality of these firearms. But once again I have to explain things so basically what I got out of this is people have used PSA and it's a good rifle nobody is responded about the AK really to motivate me enough to buy it.

In the future I'll just ask my friends thanks again though GM. Always a pleasure. If you want to shut her down that's your prerogative.

I bought an M&P15 years ago because i believed i needed to have one. Bought an old AK for the same reason. Sold the AK because i just hated it. The AR just sits in the safe.

And that's pretty much why I haven't bought one to date. I couldn't really justify the use of an AR. I guess you could go rabbit hunting with these things and it's legal here. But why use my AR when I have a 22?

I guess I just don't like being told that I can't have things. I mean it might be fun I've never shot one. But if the time comes to where I can't even take it out it's a lot of money wasted.

Well, my 2 cents. I carried one (M-16) in the Service last century. Then, I was never fond of its accuracy or quality of manufacture. Fast forward 50 years.
I had an AR made for me to compete with in NRA and CMP matches. Last year I shot a 763/800 at 2,3, and 600 yds.

I use this rifle to practice, compete and varmint hunt. My opinion has changed.

And that's pretty much why I haven't bought one to date. I couldn't really justify the use of an AR. I guess you could go rabbit hunting with these things and it's legal here. But why use my AR when I have a 22?

I guess I just don't like being told that I can't have things. I mean it might be fun I've never shot one. But if the time comes to where I can't even take it out it's a lot of money wasted.
I feel the same way. I think I got them cuz i was still feelin butt hurt over not being able to get one back in the 90s. Then when i did get the AR i did a little customizing. Not as much fun as customizing and shooting a ML. AR stuff is literally everywhere. Even now i could walk into any gun store and buy a few if i wanted. To me they are like a chain saw or generator. You should have one lying around just in case... but its just one more thing I've got taking up space that i may pull out every couple years and pop off a couple woohoo shots then put it away again.

Last edited:
If you live in a state that allows private sales between residents, only buy this way.
This is important.
Pay cash.
Buy a decent AK.
Buy 8 or 10 30 round magazines.
Pay cash.
Buy 2 or 3K rounds.
Pay cash.
I would avoid Century Arms if possible.
A comblock or chicom built AK47 with a chrome lined barrel in 7.62x39 will do...
whatever is necessary.
AR...buy vintage Colt M4. Try to buy one without a receiver block.
All the rest applies.
Keep Quiet!

I love the AR platform. It is one of my favorite rifles. It is generally more accurate than the AK.

However, the AR is not as reliable as the AK.

Look at the number of jam-clearing drills on YouTube for the AR, as compared to the AK.
Sometimes you must slam the buttstock of the AR onto something while pulling back on the charging handle, in order to clear it.

If you are going to be shooting 200 yards or less, use the AK.

WOW, I mean just WOW!!!! I didn't know you could buy " assault " , you see assault is an action! "Assault" is not an object, why would one use the word describing an object as an action not an object? Unless it was from ignorance or brainwashing by the mockingbird media? I simply suggest you buy or build what ever firearm you wish to own and pray that we never need them for other than recreation!

Ken

Welp I am definitely getting the palmetto ar15 moe furniture a4. I am waiting on the background check I got a delay as usual. No big deal.

As I look at the limited edition VSKA trooper I really like it but I have concerns over century. Seems like their employees are none to happy. Unhappy employees usually means the product suffers.

Back