Desperately need help with firearms decision

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be an avid ground hog hunter [every day] The ,223 is a .222 mag. It was the second smallest ground hog rifle cal. that you could buy. I shot a .22-250 or .25-06 for real long ranges. Any serious ground hog hunter wouldn't consider that cal. for over 250 yards. You are right, the "reason" listed to justify the change in caliber was so that they could carry more ammo. I served. No one liked the gun, we were not given enough training with it. We fired 100 rounds in basic training. If you didn't already know how to shoot, you were screwed. It may hit a target at long distance but at 250 yards, it won't even anchor a ground hog unless you hit him in the head.
Lots of 250 yard coyotes would dispute that claim. Chest hit kill them fine.

Here in S/C Wyoming the wind blows ALOT and our coyotes are not trained to give that textbook standing broadside shot. This is the reason I gave up on the .17 and 204. I went back to my old 1 in 8 twist Ackley Swift and 64 gr bullets because of higher recovery rates on quartering toward or away shots. 3rd barrel yes, but that's the cost of doing business. Though a potent round indeed, I'm not ready to rely on the 222 0r 223 class of cart. due to my experience and shooting ability. At 76 yrs I've also sent hundreds of coyotes and cats to the fur buyers due to my trapping winters here for 25+ yrs and doing my share of calling while out on my line . My friends with considerable experience rely on the 243 AI 'cause of the wind, but they don't have to sew them up like I do. My micro lock stitch is the envy of local surgeons LOL ..............Trader AKA Mossie

Latest posts

Back