Desperately need help with firearms decision

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the majority of the issue of the AR jam is from using steel cased ammo and mag dumping. steel cased is coated and when heated the cases become gummy. If your not into spraying as much ammo as you can quickly downrange even this is typically not an issue. AR parts run the gauntlet from cheap crap to high precision. Trigger, BCG, and barrel is where you want your money spent. The following for them mostly is the fact that they are basically a modular rifle, where any part can be reconfigured for looks, or reliability. Kind of like Harley owners, you can customize part by part. An AR can be a cheapo water hose, or a high precision reliable tool depending an a very wide array of options. You can build one part by part either way very easily (all mine are done this way)

I think the majority of the issue of the AR jam is from using steel cased ammo and mag dumping. steel cased is coated and when heated the cases become gummy. If your not into spraying as much ammo as you can quickly downrange even this is typically not an issue. AR parts run the gauntlet from cheap crap to high precision. Trigger, BCG, and barrel is where you want your money spent. The following for them mostly is the fact that they are basically a modular rifle, where any part can be reconfigured for looks, or reliability. Kind of like Harley owners, you can customize part by part. An AR can be a cheapo water hose, or a high precision reliable tool depending an a very wide array of options. You can build one part by part either way very easily (all mine are done this way)
Yea I’ve shot steel rounds out of my 22 revolver they actually became magnetized when fired. Now this was a revolver mind you and 22 steel cases where hard to eject. I could only imagine what they would do in any other cal in any other type of firearm

Thankfully I'm in Tennessee, "The patron state of shooting stuff". :)
Remember federal law trumps state law if the federal law is stricter than state. So much for your free state.
not to jump on the soap box or get political but states rights where lost when the south lost the CW. That’s what the war was mostly about states rights and economics.

Given recent events and upcoming reactionary gun legislation I am looking at purchasing 2 assault rifles ( I hate that term).

It's a big investment and I need advice. The rifles are the Century Arms VSKA trooper (american made) and the palmetto armory Ar-15 with m lock the a4 style.

The ak is 900 bucks the ar15 is 680.

This is a lot of money that I'm investing and honestly I'd like them to last and I want them to be somewhat good quality I've heard bad things about century arms blowing up but I don't know if that's operator error or what.

Now a brief rant.
I'm having a hard time justifing coming up with the money to pay for these but I want them before a ban or mandatory buyback.

What I don't understand is that these are not similar to the military style rifles that are used. It's an insult to compare them to those for the purpose of gaining support to ban them.

There is no 3 position selector. The civilian ar and ak are semi automatic. It insults my intelligence when politicians claim that they are the same rifles meant only for killing.

Also what is the big deal exactly?what do they have a problem with the scary look of the AR? It's a semi-automatic rifle much like many other semi-automatic rifles on the market. So again what exactly is the issue is it the cartridge? The 556 is not allowed then they should ban it in bolt actions as well.

honestly not one bit of gun legislation that I've heard makes any sense at all. I've said it time and time again but the solution is stiffer penalties for people that would use firearms to commit a crime. Leave the legitimate law-abiding gun owners alone.
If you have the money I would spend a little extra and buy a ruger 556 MPR

Attachments

• 20201107_182324.jpg
    20201107_182324.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
I generally like ruger as well but the PSA kit was available now and you know how that goes. I'm too cheap to buy a colt. At least not yet. Waiting to see what happens. Good news is that maybe uppers will still be around. I'm not 100% sure of that either no one is.

One of those "The Firearms Blog" Guys wears makeup. Just Sayin'. I read a review one of them did griping about the M14/M1A platform rifles. He couldn't get it to shoot straight. Sent it back. They tested it, sent the target showing sub MOA performance. He couldn't replicate it, and intimated that the manufacturer was fibbing.

In his description of the rifle's components, he wrote, "National Match Gas system (Whatever that means)." After Reading that, I lost all respect for his opinion. How the hell are you representing yourself as a firearms reviewer and NOT know the difference between a standard gas system and a unitized gas system, as used on the Nat'l Match?

...But I digress...

Stay Away from Century.

Anyone who puts the mouth on PSA stuff is either A.) a fanboy for some other manufacturer, or B.) hasn't handled any PSA products in a while. They're a solid manufacturer - and those of you who know me know that I run those types of weapons hard and fast.

Hugs and Kisses...

Jim

I'm surprised the colt did not make operator Level. Isn't that the brand the military uses?
Colt is a supplier for the Military. The Marine Corps went with the M16A4 from FN, and I think FN is making their M4s, now as well.

Colt no longer sells ARs to the public. They did the same crap in 1992 when gun control was written on the wall. I'll not go into further detail for I may be smited

Last edited:
Colt is a supplier for the Military. The Marine Corps went with the M16A4 from FN, and I think FN is making their M4s, now as well.

Colt no longer sells ARs to the public. They did the same crap in 1992 when gun control was written on the wall. I'll not go into further detail for I mat be smited
I hear that if I could make sense of it all it'd be easier to swallow but I just can't.

Let's see..Ummmm: Magpul, Stag Arms, Weatherby moved to Wyoming. Now rumored Henry ?. I think I'll ride this one out in the great Cowboy State. PLUS our state gov just passed several pro-gun laws!....Trader AKA Mossie

I bought an upper and lower on sale from PSA a few years back. I added a Timney trigger and Nikon scope. It shoots good and didn't get my accountant (wife) ruffled up. 18 inch .223 Wylde barrel.
4U23NyY.jpg

Colt went back into the civilian AR market last year.
Colt Resumes Civilian AR-15 Production as Gun Sales Soar Across US

As for me, I've handled a whole lot of different AR/M16 brands, from carrying an FN in Iraq, to an Hydramatic in Afghanistan and a H&K for work here in the US. Current coyote gun is a S&W.
My choice has been Aero for a while. Good quality and a good price. The only problem is they are maxed out, running 3 shifts a day, and can't keep up. But I think a lot of manufacturers are in that predicament.

Latest posts

Back