Desperately need help with firearms decision

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that an " assault rifle" must be capable of burst or fully automatic fire. AR' s and civilian AK' s, despite their appearance, are semi automatic only and as such are
not assault rifles. Let's stop giving the other side one of the most important rules in debate, that being who controls the terminology wins the debate!
Personally, I would pass on either and go for an SKS! With the bayonet too!

Personally, I would pass on either and go for an SKS! With the bayonet too!
Prices of SKSs have gone through the roof, too! In the early 90's, you could buy clean, NOS Chinese and Albanian SKSs for $70, and the Cadillac of the SKS, The Yugoslavian 59/66 for about $100.

Now, beat-to-hell Chinese SKSs are selling for $450+, and in 2019, I bought a pair of Yugos with matching #'s in "Turn-in" condition for north of $500 each.

Colt went back into the civilian AR market last year.
Jeeze. It's funny how people can't keep their stories straight sometimes. That Article was published in July of 2020. In August of 2020, the Police Department I work for turned in the old M16A1 Gub'ment Rifles and switched to a "personally owned" program. When I called to check availability, every supplier I checked with told me "Colt no longer sells to distributors." :rolleyes:

Reliability under adverse conditions is more important than accuracy.
7.62x39 is cheaper and more available right now than 5.56x45.
Use that stimulus check wisely!
7.62x39 rifles are not cheaper however, (),,, I have 2 ak/47's and no Ar-15s at present. I had a colt accurized match rifle with stainless barrel for years, but sold it.) AK prices have gone out of sight compared to when i bought 3 for ~ $400 each. , Ar's can still be had relatively inexpensively because of the glut created during obama years. and the reliablity issues are with cheap steel case laquer coated ammo... buy brass ammo & ar is reliable enough to be use by the us military til this day!. Average shooters will never shoot under conditions that an AK "May" be more reliable. ... i won't be throwing mine down in the mud & trying to shoot it, & won't buy steel cased ammo ever. I've been buying guns for better than 40 years and have read the reliability concerns.(since when i was a kid during vietnam war) , most of which were created by the dirty ball powder used in early ammo clogging gas tube.... Stick powder , chrome lined barrels and adding forward assist fixed that. One can't go wrong with either rifle as far as i'm concerned.. A man should have what he wants! ;>)

Jeeze. It's funny how people can't keep their stories straight sometimes. That Article was published in July of 2020. In August of 2020, the Police Department I work for turned in the old M16A1 Gub'ment Rifles and switched to a "personally owned" program. When I called to check availability, every supplier I checked with told me "Colt no longer sells to distributors." :rolleyes:
Colt has been purchase by CZ,, things will probably change as i kind of got the feeling colt management had become too left leaning!

Colt has been purchase by CZ,, things will probably change as i kind of got the feeling colt management had become too left leaning!

This could be an interesting buy-out.
The legend of Colt and the quality and innovation of CZ.

The wonderful thing about the Armalite Rifle design platform is, that, all of them are built to/of milspec parts so the chart that is shown in a previous post, IMHO is B.S. pure and simple. That chart is just opinions and a cup of coffee with one's opinion will be the same price as without one's opinion.

In my somewhat less than humble opinion, Many of the purchases of the ignorant are based their testosterone imbalance and they will be quick to try and impress you with the label on an object to show you how great they are! The same holds true for so many things, look at my label I bought!!!! Marketing is a science, it is all designed to remove money from your pocket to someone elses, nothing more!

Even a bar bones kit from the least expensive supplier out there can be assembled with some basic tools along with a little knowledge and perform side by side with the most expensive label you can buy. reguarless of the label stamped into a BCG , Upper or lower the parts are all interchangable, period. The Armalite Rifle platform is now nearly a 70 year old design, proven, and simply wonderful to work with.

Ken

Watch out for those automaticly fireing hammers, screw drivers automobilies, knifes, fists, feet, bats, 2x4s, hands, that have been used in an act of assault. LMAO of many!

AR stands for "Armalite Rifle".

Ken

I got the AR and the century. $1,600 later...

I asked him to throw in a MAG they gave me a discount a whole $0.50 off.

Then they forgot to apply my deposit and asked if I wanted to store credit after they overcharged me.

The best part... They forgot both mags that were included with the firearms. I'm beyond pissed. They will be closed tomorrow which means day after tomorrow I'll be having a conversation with the owner.

My two cents. I would build an AR type rifle. It might be more expensive but you will have the components that you want in it.
I would of except one thing. I never really cared to own an ar. That is until they said I potentially couldn't have one. Matter of fact you could probably quote me as saying the ar is a glorified .22.

After actually handling one though I have to say kudos to the moduler design and flexibility of this rifle. I still think it's extremely complicated with a bunch of small parts to make something simple happen.

Maybe someday I'll buy a 350 legend upper for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a couple comments..
People call our mean-looking, intimidating, back firearms "assault" guns. That term adds fuel to their confiscation agenda.
Those of us using these for hunting, 3-gun, target shooting etc. are by no-means "assaulting" anything. Hence the term MSR for "modern sporting rifle".
I believe the last thing we want to do is align ourselves with the anti-gun mob in any misleading fashion.
Hence, shouldn't we users adopt the MSR reference and completely drop "assault" from our vocabularies?
I can just hear it from TWITer, Facebook, etc ...... 'even the gun owners and suppliers call them assault guns'. How do we defend that without looking as hypocritical as our beloved politicians?
Please stop shooting ourselves in the feet.
Sorry for the rant..

Just a couple comments..
People call our mean-looking, intimidating, back firearms "assault" guns. That term adds fuel to their confiscation agenda.
Those of us using these for hunting, 3-gun, target shooting etc. are by no-means "assaulting" anything. Hence the term MSR for "modern sporting rifle".
I believe the last thing we want to do is align ourselves with the anti-gun mob in any misleading fashion.
Hence, shouldn't we users adopt the MSR reference and completely drop "assault" from our vocabularies?
I can just hear it from TWITer, Facebook, etc ...... 'even the gun owners and suppliers call them assault guns'. How do we defend that without looking as hypocritical as our beloved politicians?
Please stop shooting ourselves in the feet.
Sorry for the rant..
I agree with your change in the terminology to Modern Sporting Rifle(MSR). There are a number people that when you use the terms muzzle loader or blackpowder rifle they automatically think of a side-lock or flint lock firearm. mo one want to be guilty by association.

I was attracted to this forum some time ago because it was about muzzleloaders. What does all this chatter have to do with sabots, sabotless, casting bullets, pellets, loose powder, flintlock, percussion or 209 ignition, collapsable or one piece ramrods, letting a barrel cool to ambient temps to achieve max accuracy, how many shots between swabbing the barrel? There are other forums for this type of discussion of which many of us don't care to visit.

You do realize you are in the “Modern Firearms” section right?
No I didn't as it just showed up on "Most recent posts" and that is what I view daily and only continue viewing posts that are of interest to me. Sorry for the rant. I am a trapshooter too and a trapshooting forum that I frequent often has more political discussions than any having to do with any type of clay target shooting. Again I apologize if I was out of line.

Latest posts

Back