Determining the length of a powder column in my cva scout conversion.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks to being able to use the Imr 4227 in my scout conversion, this evening I shot a 3/4" ctc 3 shot group at 104 yds with 45 gr. powder and wool wad with 250 gr. remington accutip solid copper bullet, which is the same bullet as the barnes 250 tez just a different color tip. I feel good about being able to shoot this load and knowing the bullet is safely in the rifling.

thanks to being able to use the Imr 4227 in my scout conversion, this evening I shot a 3/4" ctc 3 shot group at 104 yds with 45 gr. powder and wool wad with 250 gr. remington accutip solid copper bullet, which is the same bullet as the barnes 250 tez just a different color tip. I feel good about being able to shoot this load and knowing the bullet is safely in the rifling.
Glad to hear!!!!

I think the n110 is faster and they only use somewhere like 33-34 gr. in a break action with lighter bullets. I am using 45 gr. of imr 4227 with 250 gr. barnes tez bullet plus a wool wad. this is putting the base of my bullet around 3/16" up into the rifling.

LBAhunter, yes the n110 powder column is too short in my gun. I have the hankins His breech plug which leaves over a 1/2" unrifled slightly larger diam. area in front of the breech plug. D55 or Dennis had the same plug I believe in his apex and incured flame cutting damage to the back 6" of his barrel using n110, he caught it in time to save the gun by lapping etc. He graciously warned the rest of us about this and the fact that he had also shot considerable 4227 but was thinking the n110 was the likely culprit but to be careful of the 4227 also because he wasn't sure about that powder either.

If a guy has a longer ASG plug perhaps with a resulting shorter unrifled area in front of the plug this situation may not even rear it's head. the other variant is how much powder does our breech plug nose hold, my His plug holds considerable powder making the powder column even shorter, but I did get lucky and by measuring my 4227 column it showed I was ok with 45gr. I also am thinking about trying eventually some n120 with saboted loads and would need to double check that one too. this unrifled area in front of the plug is just was is left of the old 45-70 chamber and you don't want the base of your bullet hanging down in that section. this situation usually only occurs in break action 45-70 conversion guns.

Is this the breech plug you have? If you switched to the DI plug would it make a difference in the powder column? The DI plug looks the same length but it may not hold as much powder.
1594822031376.png

that looks like the plug and modules, and I think I read here somewhere that the DI version may indeed hold less powder. I may tinker with the DI version one day but I use this His version because I think these modules would be easier for me to handle because my nerve disease has wrecked my hands ability to handle and hold onto things. I have no grip strength especially if my hands get cold which only takes 60 degrees.

My DI plug holds 11gr of N110 which I no longer shoot in my conversion. Never checked my HIS plug so not sure if or what the difference is.

If I did a 45-70 conversion, I would want the ASG DI replacement plug installed.

If I did a 45-70 conversion, I would want the ASG DI replacement plug installed.
I know it's a old thread but....
l had a 45-70 conversion done with the longer plug installed. I measured my plug with a DI module installed. The plug with the module measures 1.905. If the original 45/70 chamber is 2.105, I should have around a .200 powder chamber. Just eyeballing it, it looks about like that. It still has to be verified to be sure.

I measured much powder this longer plug holds. I measured it with several powders, H & IMR 4895, N110.
The 2 4895s - around 18 grains
N110 - around 17 grains
The plug hole measures
diameter - around .280
depth with bolt screwed in - around 1.200

Latest posts

Back