Didja ever...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a muzzleloader( of any kind)on impulse, and now its become one of the " this one's going nowhere" items?
Mine is my factory laminated , percussion, TC Hawken. Got me appreciating sidelocks again.
Unfortunately, personal reasons compelled me to sell off all of my firearms, muzzleloaders included, back in the 90's.

Of all the ones purchased, and eventually let go, the one I regret the most, and circumstances aside, would have never sold otherwise; was a iron-mounted, Lancaster-style, curly maple, fullstock, flintlock, swamped octagon barrel, .62 caliber longrifle that weighed roughly 8.5 pounds. It had a sling swivel in front, and a sling button post in the rear. The Getz, factory coned barrel would shoot, in the hands of a competent rifleman, silver dollar size groups at 100 yards all day long.

I miss that rifle a lot. It was kind of an impulse purchase, as I was on a Hawken kick at the time, and had a pair of flintlock .62 caliber, walnut, halfstock, Hawken pistols, with iron swivel ramrods on order from another builder. I knew there was no such thing as a surviving flintlock Hawken half-stock rifle, and at the time I was pretty sure that there was no such thing as a flint Hawken longrifle. But, I had one built anyway.

And, I'm glad I did.

When the rifle showed up before the pistols, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it required only 75 grains of fffg Goex black powder to get those silver dollar size groups at 100 yards. And, with an 8.5 pound rifle, a 75 grain charge behind a 349 grain, 0.615" diameter ball made for some very pleasant, low recoiling shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guilty of that too.
One day, about 6 years ago, I visited the Traditions showroom in Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
They had 6 or 8 Pursuit Ultra Lights on the rack marked clearance. They were marked down a lot, I think like half price.
The only thing was they were either pink or a funky blue camo stock.
I almost bought the pink but settled on the blue camo. I had them set up a 3×9×40 scope an bore sighted it for me.
Went to the range and got the gun sighted in good. It was a good shooter.
It ended up just sitting in the closet.
I ended up giving it to the pastor of our church for one of his kids before we moved out of Connecticut.
Last I knew, his daughter really loves that ugly rifle and has become a dead shot with it.

Doc
I can't imagine how you feel/ felt. Shooting has been a much needed escape/ distraction for me since I was 13. I hope the day may come, and quickly, that you will be able to pick up the rifle again. Or at least be able to play with pointy sticks and string!
Deerman
My daughter confiscated my first inline. A Traditions Tracker that I converted to use caps instead of 209s. She's had a chance at 4 deer and quickly removed their will to live.

YES!! I bought a Jukar flintlock smoothbore rifle that was 65cal. for $200.....worst mistake ever! The lock broke, couldn't find parts or RBs.

But that went also in the 2014 house fire... ☠

I have to smile when you asked, "did you ever" Almost everyone I bought has a story to it. And I ever on about everyone. I had a beautiful side lock stolen from me and I searched all over for it's replacement with no luck. My luck changed at a gunshow, i took one more last tour before i was about to leave and come across a replacement that had just got traded minutes before I came by. The merchant, a breech loader guy, did not fully appreciate what he had and I got a super deal on a beautiful replacement side lock, that was set up exactly how I would have had it. It is a beautiful gun and it took away part of the sting of having my other gun stolen.... The God's were with me that day.

A local auction company sent me a notice of an upcoming event. I opened it up and found a single shot 17 HMR that I wanted. As I continued to window shop a CVA Kodiak Magnum in .45 popped up. Okay I am going to probably get one firearm I might as well make the drive worth while and make it for two. I bought the Kodiak for $100 and the .17 HMR for $200. I was willing to go a lot higher for both. They are both excellent pieces of equipment with superb accuracy.

I bought my first flintlock with a siler lock in it and made sure that it could be switched to a caplock if I didn't like it. I never looked back. I havn't owned a caplock in 40 years. My first ML rifle was a Thompson Center Hawken. I hate to admit it, but I did miss that rifle. It would shoot anything you put into it into one hole at 50 yards. Probably the best shooting rifle I ever owned.

Back