Differences in Black Powders??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
As I attempt to return to muzzleloading after a 33 year hiatus, it is quite apparent that one of the biggest changes has been the proliferation on propellants.

Putting black powder substitutes aside for now, I would like to focus on the available black powder choices for a...

1.) sidelock percussion rifle
2.) T/C Renegade Hunter
3.) GM, 28" long, LRH barrel
4.) custom-fabricated, steel, Picatinny, Weaver, low-profile, left-offset, scope base that will mount a rifle scope in the rear, or a forward-mounted Scout scope.
5.) Talley, 30mm low, Q-D lever rings
6.) Leupold, VX-R, 1.5-5×33mm Scout scope w/FireDot Duplex reticle.

Those choices would seem to be...

1.) Goex
2.) Olde Eynsford
3.) Graf & Sons
4.) Schuetzen
5.) Swiss

Granulations available are fg, f 1/2g, ffg, & fffg.

Not all granulations are available in all brands.

When I was shooting there was basically duPont, and when I quit there was Goex.

I plan to spend only as much time at the bench that is required to find a bullet of approximately 350-400 grains, that will shoot accurately out to 150m.

After that , most of my time will be spent practicing, both left & right-handed, shooting from every conceivable field position in order to prepare to once again hunt.

My question is this.. For the above scenario, which powder would you choose, and why? I understand that each brand of powder burns differently, at differing pressure levels, and with differing amounts of fouling. And, the granulations within the brands burn differently from one another.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTES AT THIS TIME, SO PLEASE DO NOT INTRODUCE THEM INTO THE CONVERSATION.

Thanks for any, and all answers.

Graf does not make powder. They may sell it. The 4 you named are sold at Powder inc. Buffalo Arms also carries some of those. Good luck! Mike

I am aware that Graf & Sons does not make black powder.

But, they DO sell powder under their own label that someone else is manufacturing for them.

That's why they're on the list.

Interesting, Graf powder is made by Goex. I never seen it before and have never heard of anybody shooting it.

My go to load for my Renegade is a patched RB with Olde Eynsforde touched off with Musket Caps.

I'll save you the trouble of trying both Goex and Schuetzen, I have shot both and they are virtually the same. Powder charge for powder charge I get the same POI with them. While it is possible that your mileage may vary, I would go out on a limb and say you'll find the same as well.
I think you'll find that your rifle will prefer 1-1/2 or 2f with conicals. I really like 3f for the lesser fouling, so if it were me I would try some just to see if the rifle liked it or not, but my money is on 1-1/2 or 2f.

As I attempt to return to muzzleloading after a 33 year hiatus, it is quite apparent that one of the biggest changes has been the proliferation on propellants.

Putting black powder substitutes aside for now, I would like to focus on the available black powder choices for a...

1.) sidelock percussion rifle
2.) T/C Renegade Hunter
3.) GM, 28" long, LRH barrel
4.) custom-fabricated, steel, Picatinny, Weaver, low-profile, left-offset, scope base that will mount a rifle scope in the rear, or a forward-mounted Scout scope.
5.) Talley, 30mm low, Q-D lever rings
6.) Leupold, VX-R, 1.5-5×33mm Scout scope w/FireDot Duplex reticle.

Those choices would seem to be...

1.) Goex
2.) Olde Eynsford
3.) Graf & Sons
4.) Schuetzen
5.) Swiss

Granulations available are fg, f 1/2g, ffg, & fffg.

Not all granulations are available in all brands.

When I was shooting there was basically duPont, and when I quit there was Goex.

I plan to spend only as much time at the bench that is required to find a bullet of approximately 350-400 grains, that will shoot accurately out to 150m.

After that , most of my time will be spent practicing, both left & right-handed, shooting from every conceivable field position in order to prepare to once again hunt.

My question is this.. For the above scenario, which powder would you choose, and why? I understand that each brand of powder burns differently, at differing pressure levels, and with differing amounts of fouling. And, the granulations within the brands burn differently from one another.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTES AT THIS TIME, SO PLEASE DO NOT INTRODUCE THEM INTO THE CONVERSATION.

Thanks for any, and all answers.
I use OE 1 1/2-2 and 3F for hunting ,2+3F and long range (700)yds target 1 1/2 -and 2F . I am going to 2F for target and hunting as I just got a new case of 2F from Powder inc and have enough of the other choices to get by with . I am hoping to not get hung up on powder and pay more attention on boolit prep as I P.P most being sliks and keep it simple with greasers /hunting . It does keep it interesting/Ed

With a fast twist, .50 caliber rifle, something I've never before owned; I'll probably start out with a 10 pound purchase of black powder.

That will get me 1 # each of.....

Graf & Sons...2fg, 3fg
Goex...2fg, 3fg
Olde Eynsford...1 1/2fg, 2fg, 3fg
Swiss...1 1/2fg, 2fg, 3fg

That should keep me busy for a while.

I have been useing grafs goex and find it accurate, I just shot 3 .535 balls touching in a 2" bull at 50 yds. 85 grs. of 3f pillow tick lubed with mink oil. bench rest, iron sights. The patch and ball are tight and not much more fouling than swiss. All in all a good powder for the bucks.

Parker Hale musketoon. RCBS Hogdon, 43gr Old E, 3f. 100yds. Point of aim was the "diamond" This is one of my competition guns I use in Carbine class in North South Skirmish competition. It might be a touch slow compared to the breech loaders, but when I do my part, it don't miss often. We have a saying- you can't miss fast enough to hit anything.

20180708_130243.jpg

The Parker-Hale Enfield Musketoon is one of my bucket list muzzleloader's. I regret not buying one back in the day.

Latest posts

Back