Disappointed in My CVA Optima V2 Pistol.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Accura V2 Long Range rifle that would not shoot. I tried many combinations of powder, bullet, and primer without success. I sent it back to CVA, since they guaranteed the "most accurate muzzleloader". They sent it back with no explanation, but with I believe a different barrel. Shoots better, but I'm still selling it. If I were you, I'd send it back.

I think one poster already mentioned this but you need to slug the bore so you know what's going on. If it's out of specs I'm sure it can be returned.

I have an Accura V2 Long Range rifle that would not shoot. I tried many combinations of powder, bullet, and primer without success. I sent it back to CVA, since they guaranteed the "most accurate muzzleloader". They sent it back with no explanation, but with I believe a different barrel. Shoots better, but I'm still selling it. If I were you, I'd send it back.
Did it come back with the same serial # on it? I had to send back an Optima Elite years ago. Came back with no explanation too. Same serial number on the barrel as when it left.

I've had it out about 5 times total. Of those times, I'm aware of at least twice it has had serious jam up issues. It's almost like the thing requires the use of Powerbelt bullets because the tolerances are so tight.

I remember one time I managed to get a sabot load jammed in there and literally broke the included ramrod trying to push it down. Rubber mallet didn't help. I did manage to push it back out from the breech once I got home and used a sturdier rod.

The other time, I was shooting away without issue using .490 roundballs and t-shirt material patches. No issue, fairly accurate out at 25 yards or so. I finally got daring and switched to pillow ticking patch. BIG MISTAKE. That plugged the barrel that there was no way I was going to get the ball to move out or further down the barrel at the range. Finally wound up taking the gun home and debating whether I needed to squirt Kroil or some such down in the barrel to help lubricate the projectile further to get it out. I think I held my breath and used a piece of steel rod to drive the ball/patch out. Amazingly there weren't any scratches I could see in the rifling or anything once I finally got the ball out.

Why round ball? Because I don't feel like paying literally 2$ a shot or more using overpriced CVA powerbelts. The pistol loves those sure, they are basically modern minie balls with a plastic instead of round skirting. The .490 round balls seem fine WITH A TSHIRT patch. But anyone using thick patch material is setting him/herself up for major problems if you use a thick patch. I've even gone so far as to track down and buy .480 round balls to avoid this issue in the future.

I did call CVA about the jamming when the sabot load got stuck, and was cautioned to clean it every shot when using Goex. "Too dirty a powder." I beg to differ. I think the tolerances on that barrel are way to tight. I'm not shooting Bull Elk with the thing at 150 plus yards. I wanted an additional 25-50 yard muzzleloading pistol.. just ... because. I also like it uses reliable 209 shotgun primer ignition.

I kind of regret getting the thing, and if I could do it over I'd go for another Lyman plains pistol and keep my powder charge around 40 grains. I don't intend to shoot the Optima with 150 grain magnum charges anyway, typically I use between 70 and 100 grains of FFFG. There is likely efficiency loss even at those loads. The included ramrod however is a tad short, and is intended for 100 grain or higher charges.

Curious as to other peoples experiences with the Optima V2 pistol.
I am having great luck with 100 grains 777 pellets and a 200 grain shockwave. They load easy even after 6 shots. The accuracy is great too, about a 1 inch group at 65 yards. I received the grip and brace from farrowtech yesterday and I'm confident out to 100 yards with this setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20211029_163952550.jpg
    IMG_20211029_163952550.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 13
eekjellander,

I am wondering if setting up a muzzleloading pistol as has been done here with the CVA optima V2 pistol by adding the adaptable rifle stock makes it legal for hunting deer with in states like Ohio that does not permit deer hunting with muzzleloading pistols?
Would adding the rifle stock define it as a short barrel rifle? Ohio does permit deer hunting with modern handguns of the appropriate caliber during the regular gun season.
I suspect that the reason that states like Ohio do not permit the use of muzzleloading pistols for deer hunting is because the ballistics with most of them are inadequate for making clean kills which is not the case with the CVA Optima V2 .

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 5.26.25 PM.png

I think you need more trigger time, and wear your T shirt , JoAnns Fabric has many thickness of muslin/pillow ticking and balls 490/495 combos ,a couple LBS of powder will get you started ! Since I shoot what I cast here's a couple of suggestions . These are 2 keepers ,the 1st is a 200 yd group with a 45 cal TC maxi unlubed and a black Harvester sabot .Note the bottom rt 3 shot getting on target (1 off paper)) ,made a sight adjustment and I hit at 9: 30 then invited my neighbor to try my (pistol ) and has better eyes (his is 3 in ) above mine ! All witnessed by 7other guys including (RFD) Rob another member who posts here . The scope is a 4 power Leupold /hold is dead on using bottom post for POA using 75 gr BH 209 weighed . Note the 2 @ 9:30 . Cause the same charge 75 BH209 and oddly enough 70 gr with a harvester 50-40 cal dark blue sabot with my cast Accurate 40- 290 -S and both (not)that it matters pure lead . Three @ 8:30 and then 2@9:30 (1 hole) and 1 up and right (100 yd) target is similar to the 200 yd with a completely different bullet /sabot (same windage) and similar elevation using fine crosshair (duplex) . Similar results (not quite as good) and a little dirtier with OE 2F 80 grains weighed
but really good for me shooting (none) requires any effort loading thou I swab between shots with windex between shots with real black powder . This is the end of trying different combos with this (pistol ) with the AR stock

Last edited:
Check your state regs to find out if muzzleloading pistols are legal.
I believe that Muzzy is correct. Not classified as a SBR.
Muzzleloading pistols are not legal for hunting deer with in Ohio as I mentioned above. My question is by adding an adaptable rifle stock so that the CVA Optima V2 would require the use two hands and retain ballistics the same as legal deer hunting muzzleloading rifles would it then legally fall under the definition of being considered a muzzleloading rifle capable of ethically hunting deer with as long as the rifle stock is attached?

Last edited:
As said slug your barrel maybe a sizing die will be in order Contact fury he will size bullets you get from him His bullets size very well

eekjellander,

I am wondering if setting up a muzzleloading pistol as has been done here with the CVA optima V2 pistol by adding the adaptable rifle stock makes it legal for hunting deer with in states like Ohio that does not permit deer hunting with muzzleloading pistols?
Would adding the rifle stock define it as a short barrel rifle? Ohio does permit deer hunting with modern handguns of the appropriate caliber during the regular gun season.
I suspect that the reason that states like Ohio do not permit the use of muzzleloading pistols for deer hunting is because the ballistics with most of them are inadequate for making clean kills which is not the case with the CVA Optima V2 .

View attachment 19361
Asking the wrong guy and a forum isn't the place either ! Ask your game warden , they should be the deciding factor not a member here but get a name just in case./Ed

Muzzleloading pistols are not legal for hunting deer with in Ohio as I mentioned above. My question is by adding an adaptable rifle stock so that the CVA Optima V2 would require the use two hands and retain ballistics the same as legal deer hunting muzzleloading rifles would it then legally fall under the definition of being considered a muzzleloading rifle capable of ethically hunting deer with as long as the rifle stock is attached?
You present a good argument but I don't know the answer.

Asking the wrong guy and a forum isn't the place either ! Ask your game warden , they should be the deciding factor not a member here but get a name just in case./Ed
Yes, It looks like probably the best option is to try and get some interest going to petition a change in the Ohio regulations. Maybe specify muzzleloading pistols or inline muzzleloading pistols 50 cal. or higher .

I believe the minimum legal barrel length of a rifle is 16". A muzzle break added can accomplish this but it can't be removed by simply screwing it off...it has to be pinned. I don't know whether this applies to muzzle loaders though.

I've had it out about 5 times total. Of those times, I'm aware of at least twice it has had serious jam up issues. It's almost like the thing requires the use of Powerbelt bullets because the tolerances are so tight.

I remember one time I managed to get a sabot load jammed in there and literally broke the included ramrod trying to push it down. Rubber mallet didn't help. I did manage to push it back out from the breech once I got home and used a sturdier rod.

The other time, I was shooting away without issue using .490 roundballs and t-shirt material patches. No issue, fairly accurate out at 25 yards or so. I finally got daring and switched to pillow ticking patch. BIG MISTAKE. That plugged the barrel that there was no way I was going to get the ball to move out or further down the barrel at the range. Finally wound up taking the gun home and debating whether I needed to squirt Kroil or some such down in the barrel to help lubricate the projectile further to get it out. I think I held my breath and used a piece of steel rod to drive the ball/patch out. Amazingly there weren't any scratches I could see in the rifling or anything once I finally got the ball out.

Why round ball? Because I don't feel like paying literally 2$ a shot or more using overpriced CVA powerbelts. The pistol loves those sure, they are basically modern minie balls with a plastic instead of round skirting. The .490 round balls seem fine WITH A TSHIRT patch. But anyone using thick patch material is setting him/herself up for major problems if you use a thick patch. I've even gone so far as to track down and buy .480 round balls to avoid this issue in the future.

I did call CVA about the jamming when the sabot load got stuck, and was cautioned to clean it every shot when using Goex. "Too dirty a powder." I beg to differ. I think the tolerances on that barrel are way to tight. I'm not shooting Bull Elk with the thing at 150 plus yards. I wanted an additional 25-50 yard muzzleloading pistol.. just ... because. I also like it uses reliable 209 shotgun primer ignition.

I kind of regret getting the thing, and if I could do it over I'd go for another Lyman plains pistol and keep my powder charge around 40 grains. I don't intend to shoot the Optima with 150 grain magnum charges anyway, typically I use between 70 and 100 grains of FFFG. There is likely efficiency loss even at those loads. The included ramrod however is a tad short, and is intended for 100 grain or higher charges.

Curious as to other peoples experiences with the Optima V2 pistol.
Back on topic.
If you think it has a bore problem, I would send it back to CVA. Write down all serial numbers for your records.

Hangfire11-

Any updates?

I’m sorry that it has been giving you issues… I’m kind of surprised, as virtually every report I read on these gives them a glowing review!

Have any other experienced muzzleloader shooters had a chance to shoot it?

Has the gun gone back to CVA to be checked out?

Would you consider listing it in the Classifieds, here? I’m betting that “someone” would scoop it up at the right price… 😎

Hangfire11-

Any updates?

I’m sorry that it has been giving you issues… I’m kind of surprised, as virtually every report I read on these gives them a glowing review!

Have any other experienced muzzleloader shooters had a chance to shoot it?

Has the gun gone back to CVA to be checked out?

Would you consider listing it in the Classifieds, here? I’m betting that “someone” would scoop it up at the right price… 😎
The right price is whatever the seller wants when they aren't available !/Ed

eekjellander,

View attachment 19361
@Chundoo …
What @michiganmuzzy said wrt legality is spot on. The pistol is not considered a firearm by the ATF so adding a stock to a non firearm makes it, (drum roll please!!!) a non firearm with a shoulder stock. Your state may view it differently so you should check with them to know what their thoughts are.

Latest posts

Back