DISTRACTIONS!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonecracker

Reaction score
Went over to our brand new shooting range in Thomasville, Ga and was totally impressed with the concrete shooting benches, comfortable seats, and computer screens to see where your bullets are impacting the target. Really first class!! Unfortunately I went to the range unprepared and had no premeasured powder ready to pour down my barrel so I was shooting a series of 3 shots, measuring and pouring more powder in my plastic vials. This went on for a while (15 shots) and this elderly gentlemen come over to watch me shoot as he was the overseer of the rifle range, as I was shooting well. We started talking about shooting ML's and his exploits with his old TC 50cal and then it happened, I got out of sequence! I was doing more talking than paying attention to my routine and that's when I realized that something was wrong. As I pushed the bullet down the barrel and it seated I could easily tell that it was not at my normal mark on my ram rod, so I pulled the breach plug and pushed the Parker sabot and powder out. I had somehow double loaded my powder charge along with the bullet and that is a good way to get seriously hurt. I tried reinstall the breach plug afterwards but the threads were all gummed up and that's when I called it a day. Went home and cleaned up my Knight Mountaineer and all is good but lets be careful out there guys and girls!! All it takes is one little mistake!! PS: here are a couple of shots at 100 yds! 1 fffish.jpg

That’s a great group. I was hunting the other day, no shot, dry out. I wiped the outside down when I got home, then left myself a note at the muzzle.

I doubt I’d forget the gun was already ‘charged’ for my next hunt, but you never know.

I try to hit the range early when its less likely to have others around. BUT, once in a while there'll be someone who likes to yack. I just pack up and leave. I love my peace and quiet when I'm on the range, but more than anything I hate being distracted by chatty saps. I have all my rods marked but still one can get lulled into making an assumption. I usually have the Optima pistol along and will often just shift to the pistol range to get away from the yackers.

I know where my guns shoot so I'm not there for sighting, but rather just to shoot to keep form.

I will talk to other shooters when the shooting line is cold and we're standing around waiting on target checkers, if they have an interesting gun. But if they, or I, are loading or shooting, or just unresponsive, i dont talk to others around me. But i try to keep an eye open to what others are doing in case someone is doing something dangerous or they dont seem real sure about what they are doing. Doesnt hurt to help someone out when they need it. Being aware of your surroundings can keep you as safe as not being distracted. Seeing someone else doing something that I have thought about, or may be a better system, can help me make changes to what I do, too.

I have my own private range right outside my back door. Crossbow, gun, what ever I want to shoot at the time. Last time I was at a range was qualification over 20 years ago

Latest posts

Back