DIY Pre-lubed patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_urrutia

Reaction score
Hello,
Just curious how those of you who pre-lube your patches do it. I melted some bore butter in a little tin on the warming burner on my stove and dipped the patches in it, but wondering if/how everyone else does it.C417C7E9-7148-4029-9817-7A479946C032.jpeg

The wads I got with my revolver were prelubed.... in the late 90s when they were bought. Also had some unlubed ones in an unopened container. Melted some pure crisco and dumped 'em in, mixed 'em around, re-soaked them then drained on one of the wifes cooling racks and then into a tupperware with another half cup of the melted crisco. At the bench I pick out the 6 I need to load a cylinder and wipe off the excess lube onto my buddy's shooting jacket, or the objective lens of the guy 3 stations down shooting a boomen louder and asking for a cold range after every 3 shot group.

Made some beeswax/crisco mix (1:1 ratio... mostly.) and for the .54 and patches I smear it on both sides of the patch with my fingers prior to loading, for maxis I smear it into the bands prior to loading. Need to figure a better way - but the beeswax and crisco separate as they cool no matter how well you mix 'em when both are melted, keeping them properly stirred is a pita and I really need to add some lanolin to increase the sticky factor of it. Once I got that down, I'll work on a way to lube 'em and keep 'em handy without lube going everywhere...

I use mink oil as a lube. I warm the tin of Mink oil over an alcohol stove and pull a strip of my patching material (cut to width for the caliber gun) over the top of the lube, then reverse the strip to do the other side. Then I cut the strips to size for the caliber gun I want them for, or fold the strips up and put them in a zip lock bag to be cut at the muzzle as needed.

I'm assuming you're talking about Patched Round Ball shooting.

I Rub it on with my fingers while watching TV. I try and keep it as similar as possible. I've even gone as far as lubing every other one and then stacking them in a prescription pill container and microwaving them for a minute or so with the lid OFF. That way it seeps into the unlubed ones.

Remember, too much and your projectiles will hit high. Too little and they'll go low.

Good Luck!

Walt

I cut my own patches from .011, .015, .018, or .023 pillow ticking or denim. I cut them with a hole saw with the teeth removed (four sizes) placed in a drill press. I drill through ten or twenty layers material at once.

My cut patches are then put on a piece of cardboard, given a dollop of Natural Lube 1000 (or equivalent) and then put in the microwave until the lube is melted evenly on the patches (patches are saturated.) Then I stack twenty or so, place them between two pieces of milk carton (waxed) and squeeze them with a clamp to remove excess lube. Being still warm, the excess lube runs out of the patches. They are now evenly lubed.

I then store the lubed patches in lidded containers. I have never experienced bad patches even when stored that way for months at a time.

ADK Bigfoot

Latest posts

Back