Do I need a Wad?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve egan

Reaction score
Evening: New to muzzleloading. I will be shooting .503 and .504 No Excuses conicals with 777 fffg powder and was wondering if I need a wad between the powder and conical? If yes what kind and size?

Thank You; Steve

I use Mike's Quality Black Powder Wads, Flintlocks Inc. 6929 Beech Tree Rd. Nineveh, IN. 46164 ph#(317)933-3441
It's been several years now as I stocked up, not sure if they are still there. I got the wool fiber wads.
Use the 50 cal. in .451 and 50 cal. in .504, (they didn't have .54) the larger wads grab the bore better.

Walters Wads or maybe Sage Brush wads also. Another vendor is CircleFly. They are all very close to the same price for veggie wads. Buffalo Arms and Track of the Wolf carry some. Not sure who carries Sage Brush though.

EDIT:
I found Sagebrush. About $40/1000 dry wool and $20/1000 veggie. Free shipping with a $50 order too.
https://www.sageoutfitters.com/reloading_suupplies.html

Last edited:
Check out Eastern Maine wool wads also. Think I paid around $26 per 1000.

I use Mike's Quality Black Powder Wads, Flintlocks Inc. 6929 Beech Tree Rd. Nineveh, IN. 46164 ph#(317)933-3441
It's been several years now as I stocked up, not sure if they are still there. I got the wool fiber wads.
Use the 50 cal. in .451 and 50 cal. in .504, (they didn't have .54) the larger wads grab the bore better.
Thank you for all of your help.

Thanks I will check this out!!!

TOW and Buffalo are WAY more for wool wads. Around $8/100 and the shipping is not exactly cheap either. About the only way to get them cheaper is by buying sheets of hard pressed felt and a wad punch. Initial investment is more but then you are set to make LOTS of wads.

TOW and Buffalo are WAY more for wool wads. Around $8/100 and the shipping is not exactly cheap either. About the only way to get them cheaper is by buying sheets of hard pressed felt and a wad punch. Initial investment is more but then you are set to make LOTS of wads.
Okay. I will check this out. Where do you obtain a punch and sheets of hard pressed felt?

Durofelt has a retail online outlet http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Most places like SuperiorFelt do not but they will send you free samples and you can place a phone order. You want F1 hard 1/8th inch felt. Color dont matter as long as its hard and has a very high wool content.

TOW and Buffalo probably both carry a wad punch. I would go with a 54cal if you can find one....assuming you got a 50cal White. A 50cal punch is probably only gunna be .512 at best. Thats ok for veggie but felt is better when tighter. 9/16th is around 56cal and thats a common punch.

Durofelt has a retail online outlet http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Most places like SuperiorFelt do not but they will send you free samples and you can place a phone order. You want F1 hard 1/8th inch felt. Color dont matter as long as its hard and has a very high wool content.

TOW and Buffalo probably both carry a wad punch. I would go with a 54cal if you can find one....assuming you got a 50cal White. A 50cal punch is probably only gunna be .512 at best. Thats ok for veggie but felt is better when tighter. 9/16th is around 56cal and thats a common punch.
Appreciate the info. Thank you.

Try it first without a wad , i couldn't buy a decent group in my super 91 . With 80 grains of 777 and no wad I can touch bullet holes at 100 yards.

I would use a wad to protect the base of the bullet, seal gassed and help prevent leading in the bbl. Also, use Felt wads and use the next size larger. For example I shoot 45 cal ML but use 50 cal wads. No problems at all going down, and seals the gasses better.

I never use wads in my Whitelightings. I tried them a few times and found no difference.

Latest posts

Back