Do I need a Wad?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a 504, I beleive You need a 50425 bullet. 504 and 503 might fall out of your Barrel.

With a 504, I beleive You need a 50425 bullet. 504 and 503 might fall out of your Barrel.
Thanks for your reply. I have not shot the White yet but it was suggested to try Tripple 7 fffg powder. Also suggested to shoo t a 30 grain squib load to dirty the barrel and this would eliminate the conical from being loose. I have bought .503 and .504 No Excuses conicals. I am fairly new to muzzleloading so I appreciate any suggestions that you offer.

A lot of us also shoot Swiss 2F or 3F in our Whites and other ML's. It's a great powder. As far as a 30gr squib load I use to do that to help ensure the bullet stays in place while walking around in the woods. The problem with that is if you don't clean your ML after the days hunt the powder could start to create pit marks in your bbl. Especially if you forget or leave it that way to go hunting the following weekend or whatever. What I do now is size my bullets (I cast my own 45cal conicals) slightly larger than the bore size. e.g. if your bore is 504, I would order the bullets from either Bullshop or NoExcuses and have them sized to 504.5. I believe both Bullshop and NoExcuses will sell you a sample pack of different sizes for you to see what size fits your ML the best. Then before I go out hunting I'll fire a couple of caps off (No Powder). This does two things, ensures all oil is burned out of your nipple/breech plug and will slightly coat the bore. Plus the powder residue from the #11 or Musket caps is not corrosive.

A lot of us also shoot Swiss 2F or 3F in our Whites and other ML's. It's a great powder. As far as a 30gr squib load I use to do that to help ensure the bullet stays in place while walking around in the woods. The problem with that is if you don't clean your ML after the days hunt the powder could start to create pit marks in your bbl. Especially if you forget or leave it that way to go hunting the following weekend or whatever. What I do now is size my bullets (I cast my own 45cal conicals) slightly larger than the bore size. e.g. if your bore is 504, I would order the bullets from either Bullshop or NoExcuses and have them sized to 504.5. I believe both Bullshop and NoExcuses will sell you a sample pack of different sizes for you to see what size fits your ML the best. Then before I go out hunting I'll fire a couple of caps off (No Powder). This does two things, ensures all oil is burned out of your nipple/breech plug and will slightly coat the bore. Plus the powder residue from the #11 or Musket caps is not corrosive.
Evening: I really appreciate your information. I will try the Swiss powder. I will check with the 2 suppliers on the 504.5 bullets.

Thank You

Thanks for your reply. I have not shot the White yet but it was suggested to try Tripple 7 fffg powder. Also suggested to shoo t a 30 grain squib load to dirty the barrel and this would eliminate the conical from being loose. I have bought .503 and .504 No Excuses conicals. I am fairly new to muzzleloading so I appreciate any suggestions that you offer.
Steve,
As far as the squib load is concerned, you can skip the powder an the squib load by simply just wrapping the conical bullet with one wrap of white plumbers tape for the first loaded round. The tape simulates a fouled bore an will shoot to the same POI as the rest of your shots. Of course after the first shot your bore is fouled an ready for the next round.
I have used this method for years, it works plain an simple an the big plus is you don't have to hunt on a dirty bore an worry about cleaning or ruining your gun if there is no shot while hunting.
Try it!!

Steve,
As far as the squib load is concerned, you can skip the powder an the squib load by simply just wrapping the conical bullet with one wrap of white plumbers tape for the first loaded round. The tape simulates a fouled bore an will shoot to the same POI as the rest of your shots. Of course after the first shot your bore is fouled an ready for the next round.
I have used this method for years, it works plain an simple an the big plus is you don't have to hunt on a dirty bore an worry about cleaning or ruining your gun if there is no shot while hunting.
Try it!!
Thank you for the tip!!!! I plan on using this suggestion. I really like this forum because it is ALWAYS positive information, no negative comments. Just helpful comments.

I roll my own bullets so if one is a little loose I'll put one wrap of pink plumbers tape on gas grooves. My bullets are 464 grs and my one Whitelighting loves 65 grs of 777. The other Whitelighting likes 80 grs if 777. I don't use a wad and can shot sub inch groups off a rest at 100 yards. Wish I could free hand.

I roll my own bullets so if one is a little loose I'll put one wrap of pink plumbers tape on gas grooves. My bullets are 464 grs and my one Whitelighting loves 65 grs of 777. The other Whitelighting likes 80 grs if 777. I don't use a wad and can shot sub inch groups off a rest at 100 yards. Wish I could free hand.
Morning: Thanks for the information.

Back