Do NOT give up!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Flintlocks have vexed me for years. I've had good rifles, not so good rifles and now I have a very fine long rifle. Even she gave me fits! But, after learning where to put the bag when shooting from the bench, as.far out towards the muzzle as possible) I'm in a happy place.
Took Vixen out today. First time since the end of January. I told her that we have to learn to play nice. Or else!
At 50 yards, first 3 were an inch. 2nd 3 were 1 13/16ths ( Had a blown patch) and the last 3 were 1 1/2. For me, these are really excellent results! So. If flinters give you fits, don't give up!
Gonna practice HARD to be ready for the after Christmas flintlock season here in Pennsylvania.
The load is a Hornady .490 ball, Ox Yoke .015 patch lubed with Bore Butter, a .54 Ox Yoke lubed wad over 70 gr of 3f Swiss.

You might want to try the Mink Oil Tallow from Track of the Wolf. It's $6.95 for an 8 oz. tin. Some people have their groups shrink when switching to the Mink Oil. Bore Butter will get real hard in cold temps, mink oil will stay soft.

Is the crown of your rifle radiused, or smoothed? Or is it still angled as cut by the barrel maker? A smooth crown is critical to patched ball shooting. Smoothing a crown is something that is easily done at home with the pad of ones thumb, and wet/dry paper.

I do need to try other lubes even though BB has worked well for me.
I did break the edge of the lands. Used a ball wrapped in 220 paper to knock the edges off and polish the crown up. She used to be murder on patches as she was almost unfired when I got her. Chuck Dixon said the barrel is a ( 7/8 x 33 1-70 (?) ) Getz.
I'm hoping that, with practice, today's results won't be a fluke. Maybe even improve? I KNOW she can shoot better than I do...

Latest posts

Back