Do Sized Bullets Stay Sized?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
For those of you that take manufactured bullets, copper jacketed, solid copper, etc.; and size them down to fit the bores of your rifles.....

Do those bullets remain at the diameter that you size them to indefinitely, or do they eventually return to their original diameter?

I am curious if such bullets, once sized, will still fit your rifle's bore 1-2 years after they have been sized; the same way they fit the bore the day that they are sized?

Thanks for your answers.

Copper solids will stay sized. If I have bullets that have been sized and not shot I run them through the die before loading. I have not always had spring back but I don't like getting one stuck and having to beat it out of the barrel. I suggest only sizing for what you will shoot within within a short window of time.

Last edited:
Back when i was Shooting/Testing Copper Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelock Muzzleloaders i found that Certain Bullets would “Spring Back” more so than others, Say i wanted a .451, on Certain Bullets i had to use my .450 Sizer (I don’t have adjustable Sizers) They would end up right at .451

as for Holding Size for any real length of time, I didn’t test that

Once I have the springback for a certain bullet figured out and get them to the diameter I was wanting, I have never had them "grow" when measured later on.

Bonded bullets hold their size better than non bonded. Non bonded will grow in as little as 2 days. I shot some fury’s and deep curls today that was sized For at least 2 months. :lewis:

I am curious if such bullets, once sized, will still fit your rifle's bore 1-2 years after they have been sized; the same way they fit the bore the day that they are sized?

Bullets don't survive for a year or two around here.

Fury bullets have become the favorite, because of how they all size exactly the same, how they are easy to work with, how they are so very accurate, and how they don't spring back for as long as they last.

I guess the reason for my question was could one size bullets, store them away for a rainy day like a DOOMSDAY PREPPER, and be able to use them years later without having to resize them?

Copper bullets stay sized but are harder to size. Fury jacketed Bullets are the only jacketed bullets that ive never had spring back on the sizing.

Greg

I guess the reason for my question was could one size bullets, store them away for a rainy day like a DOOMSDAY PREPPER, and be able to use them years later without having to resize them?
Why bother? Why not leave the bullets unsized for doomsday? What is the advantage? Different rifles need different sized bullets.. Easier to leave bullets unsized. That way they can be used for any rifle when doomsday comes.

Is there any way you could size a bullet by hand in a zombie situation? Like the Lee breech lock hand press & different dies??? Why do you size your bullets? is it for sealing the pressures in: if so, wouldn't a wad do the same thing? Forgive my ignorance, but the bullet is deforming to the shape and dimensions of the barrel as it starts it's journey out of the barrel regardless of ones intentions.

Last edited:
The reason for sizing bullets is so one can push them down to the powder. For nominal strength humans this is required. One cannot get the bullet down to the powder, if the rifling is cutting into the bullet. This sized bullet won't seal because it fits between the lands.. A wad is required for a seal, until the bullet expands into the grooves when the powder goes. This type sizing is called 'smooth' sizing, and it produces a new way for muzzle loaders. Sabot are eliminated, and accuracy seems to be enhanced.

A Lee hand press certainly can be used.

Latest posts

Back