Do you read in your deestand ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. I can’t stay still otherwise.
I read a page, look around, and read another.
One of my friends saw me reading through his binoculars, and tried to sneak up on me. By the time he came around a tree within bow range, he found me standing up with my bow in my hand (undrawn), staring straight at him. He wasn’t as quiet, nor I as distracted, as he thought.
HAHA

On dark to dark tree stand hunts I'll bring a book. Red alert until 11. Then read from 11 until 2 scanning the woods every time I need to turn a page. Then back to red alert until dark. I enjoy reading in my stand and it really breaks up a long day. I shot at least one quarter of my bucks while mid day reading including my personal best.

Nope there is always something going on in the forrest. I enjoy watching other critters especially when a bird or squirrel comes close enough to almost touch.
If a deer comes in range you usually see it or part's of it before you hear it. I cannot count the time's I heard a "crunch, crunch, crunch" in the leaves only to be a squirrel or some other animal. That feeling of what could be is why I hunt an keep coming back every year.

I never took a book along this year and instead practiced with the binoculars. I have tried to school the grandsons to use binoculars not only to look at visible deer at a distance but to also pick the woods apart looking for deer before they actually step into view. Six times this season I "found" deer behind distant brush or trees or buckthorn thickets either feeding or slowly walking. I'd have never seen these deer without the binoculars and one, the 8 point, turned into table food. The grandkids have a tough time with the concept of using the glass to look "thru" the woods by slowly adjusting the focus for various depths and distances, putting the closest and first vegetation out of focus as one looks further and further behind what one sees.

I really enjoyed playing with the glass this season and as toytruck alluded to, there are other critters and bird to study. I may take a book in the future seasons but then again I may not. I didn't miss the reading this year.

Nope there is always something going on in the forrest. I enjoy watching other critters especially when a bird or squirrel comes close enough to almost touch.
If a deer comes in range you usually see it or part's of it before you hear it. I cannot count the time's I heard a "crunch, crunch, crunch" in the leaves only to be a squirrel or some other animal. That feeling of what could be is why I hunt an keep coming back every year.

I FULLY Agree here! This is me to the T, i Don’t use a Stand (Blind/Tree stand etc.) I find a Comfy spot, Concealed in Some Foliage of whatever Sort? Be it little Trees, Tall Grass etc. and i Sit. I enjoy the Sounds Around me. I have had some AWESOME encounters while Sitting like this, I had a Bull Moose Walk within 10 feet of me :) And a Little Basket Horn Whitetail Buck get SO CLOSE that i could see his Eye lashes, NO JOKE! All of a Sudden he looked DIRECTLY in my eyes, that Little Buck TURNED INSIDE OUT :D He peeled off down the Hill in the Brush, Stood down there and BLEW at me OVER N OVER, I thought about shooting him for doing that to me :p but couldn’t see him :D Nah, I wouldn’t have did that. But i have had Some pretty Cool, unforgettable Experiences while Sitting, waiting on a Shooter Whitetail Buck to Show up. Gotta Love Being out there :lewis:

Back