Does going .45 Cal mean I have to size bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
I’ve heard a lot of good things about a .45 cal. Then I read someone mention you may have to resize the bullets. Does a .45 cal not do sabots? My concerns are needing to buy new jags, bullets etc and a resizing jig. Wondering if .50 is just as accurate under 250-300 yards (Max I’d shoot a muzzleloader and probably max 150-200 on an animal with a proven load)

Sure you can use sabots and 40 cal. bullets in a 45. A lot of people have moved to sabotless shooting with a 45.

But, again you can certainly shoot sabots and a bullet of your choice from a 45 cal. ML.

I'm mostly a round ball shooter, with a couple of 50's and recently bought a 45. I really like the 45, a bit lighter to carry, shoots really well.

You might luck out and not have to size the bullets. The Parker Ballistic Extremes fit my Austin & Halleck .45 almost perfectly. I could knurl them a touch to get the fit better, but they shoot good so I haven’t bothered.

I’ve been interested in getting a .45 caliber muzzleloader for sometime, mostly due to a better ballistic coefficient.

I always assumed after saboting down to a .40 caliber bullet I would experience much better trajectory due to a longer thinner bullet. But for some reason the 50 caliber’s held their popularity over a long period of time. Is there a flaw in my thought process?

I haven't tried the sabotless but intend to this winter in my .45 Kodiak. Right now the gun shoots a 200 grain XTP and a 195 grain Barnes .40 cals very accurately. I won't shoot it at a deer outside of 100 yards due to bullet weight but have killed deer inside of the 100 yards right on the spot. I think .45 cal sabot-less bullets will find better ballistics as others have found so that sabot-less shooting is my next project with the .45.

There just seems to be more options for a .45. From .357 up to and including some .458 bullets, with the right sizers and/or sabots. Although, i have some .45 bullets that won't shoot well in any of my guns so Im going to sabot them and try them in a .50. But i have a couple lead bullets that shoot well as cast and some Parker's and Thor's can be bought at the size you need. Sizing is cheap and easy. Accuracy inside 300, idk, probably similar between .45 and .50. If you just want to shoot 'off the shelf' bullets, then .50 is plentiful and several great options. I have one .50 right now and that gives me an option of shooting the Barnes in heavier weights than I can get them in for the .45 which i like for hunting.

@sabotloader am I defeating the purpose of getting a .45 over a .50? Inside that range is a .45 more accurate?

I really do not think so. There really isn't that much difference in accuracy between the the two. To me the real difference is velocity and the extended range that can be had with a 45.

I believe my effective range with a 50 and a scope to be 200 yards. But on the other hand in the hands of a person that shoots better than I - 300 and maybe beyond is reachable - if you are using a load/bullet that retains enough energy to harvest at those extended ranges.

Certainly the custom rifles on the market with their ability to shoot heavier powder loads and higher BC bullets could extend that range.

And then again I am really old fashioned with ML projectiles - I really do not like shooting pointy bullets in the ranges that I shoot. I have extended my shots a couple of times to 225 -240 yards using my everyday Lehigh HP projectile and really have good luck.

In the case of the 45 Lehigh offers a sabotless 458x260 gr. bullet that would easily shoot and work to extended ranges. I have shot it it at 400 yards at gong but I KNOW i would not have enough velocity and energy to ethically harvest at that range

Ready.jpg

another bullet i have shot at extended ranges is another Lehigh

Shoot_Compo_1.jpg

https://www.lehighdefense.com/all/400-controlled-fracturing-muzzleloader-215gr-bullet

Last edited:
45s can and often do shoot sabots fine. Take a 45cal 250gr and a 40cal 250gr. Chances are the 40cal has a far better BC and a better SD for sure. Bullets like the Fury bullets are a game changer. BH209 will respond great to the extra bullet weight in 45s.

Imagine a 250gr 40cal at 2100fps+ and a .300+ BC. That is easily doable with 120grV of BH209 or less in a fast twist 45.

You can resize, or measure bore.
I have about 50 hours researching this avenue. Why ? Results.
I measured and tested 300gr .452 XTP and Speer deep curl. Picked Speer, most affordable 300gr .452. Decent BCE and sectional.
Up to 200yds, maybe 250.
I’ll work on 300yds for next year. I did use a wool wad. 125yds DRT.
CVA Accura LR .45 70gr/wt BH209 300gr Deep Curl .452.

Attachments

• 3AAD4C49-CDFF-4C8D-BEB8-B68AA25F8FCF.jpeg
    3AAD4C49-CDFF-4C8D-BEB8-B68AA25F8FCF.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
I shoot an Accura .45 LR. I just bought some Fury 310 gr. .401 OT Bonded bullets. They shoot very well in Harvester crush rib sabots with 80 gr. BH 209. The advantage in Sectional Density is important, and the reduced recoil matters too. I'm working up a load for my grandson, so I want something that doesn't kick as badly as the 405gr .45-70 bullets I shoot in my .50. Almost identical SD, but the .40 has an estimated B.C. of .370 and the .458 BC=.281. I bought a Swinglock sizer and shoot without the sabot as well. You'll find rifle bullets cheaper than muzzleloader bullets, probably because ML shooters have more money than sense.

I’ve been interested in getting a .45 caliber muzzleloader for sometime, mostly due to a better ballistic coefficient.

I always assumed after saboting down to a .40 caliber bullet I would experience much better trajectory due to a longer thinner bullet. But for some reason the 50 caliber’s held their popularity over a long period of time. Is there a flaw in my thought process?
I think one of the big reasons for the continued popularity of the .50 Caliber is that so many game departments require it as a minimum for elk and moose. The .45 is every bit the elk killer that a .50 is but laws and regulations are seldom written by the most knowledgeable people, they’re the winners of popularity contests... Yes, even your local Fish Cops.

Latest posts

Back