Dovetailed sight installation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any suggestions on installing dovetailed Globe sights? I bought a sight press meant for pistol sights but the Globes are too tall for it. Is a file, punch, and hammer really the best way to install them?

I'm sure someone else can tell you better than me but I never knew any other way to install a sight in a dovetail other than filing it to fit and tapping it into place with the hammer and punch.

File little and stop ! In to the freezer for10 min and try again taper your filing and use brass punch and install from right side drive left if not try again 2 stroke and freeze again and take your time it will go in /Ed

File little and stop ! In to the freezer for10 min and try again taper your filing and use brass punch and install from right side drive left if not try again 2 stroke and freeze again and take your time it will go in /Ed
Thanks, That pretty much the process I went with. The brass punch did a number on the side of the sight. I probably should have filed a little more off. I did try putting it in the freezer once but I dont think it was close enough to allow it to go in so I just kept filing and didnt go back with the freezing method. I have a barrel coming back from Bob Hoyt soon that I will try your suggestions with

Any suggestions on installing dovetailed Globe sights? I bought a sight press meant for pistol sights but the Globes are too tall for it. Is a file, punch, and hammer really the best way to install them?
Hammer , file, and brass drift are the only way I have known to do it. eekjellander gives some great suggestions. Just take your time, be patient and don't be in a hurry. Did I mention take your time? Sand paper can help with the filing and smoothing as well.

You need a “Safe file” they are simple to make, if you purchase an actual Gunsmithing Dovetail file they are EXPENSIVE. I have installed more Front sights than i could ever begin to remember with my Home made “Safe sided File” The safe side is Smooth and won’t Cut, This way it ONLY Cuts the Dovetail Wider and NOT down in to the Barrel (Or sight)

When installing, I prefer to Remove Material from the Front Sight instead of the Barrel Dovetail. That said, i have opened the Barrel Dovetail many times as well.

I use a Brass Drift punch to remove, and install, Mine is homemade from a piece of Brass Rod

Every Lyman Globe i have installed required a Bit of File fitting, They come slightly to Large intentionally so you can Custom fit them to your Dovetail. I like a Sight to Fit Good n tight, But not Ridiculous tight. If you are Damaging the Steel Sight with a Brass Drift Punch, That is WAY to tight. Tap the Sight back out and remove a little more Material, test again. (Looking down the Barrel in Shooter position, the sight should go in from right to Left)

I just dug this old Thread up, Copied and Pasted it here.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/for-idaholewis.33758/

How to install a Lyman 17 series Globe front Sight (Or Any Front Sight For that matter)

Things needed, Padded Vise, A Brass Drift Punch, and a 3 corner file with a “Safe Side” Both of these can be made at Home. A Modified Brass Bolt works fine, or better yet a piece of Round Stock brass about 3-4 inches long. The Brass Drift punch is so you Don’t damage the Barrel, Sight

It is VERY Likely your new 17 Globe Front sight will be to tight to fit your Dovetail, All of the Lyman 17 Globes i have done so far have been Tight, To tight, They needed Fitting to my Dovetail, Lyman makes them a little on the Large side so they can be fitted, 99.9% of Stock US Barrel Dovetails with be 3/8” (.375) The Lyman 17 Globes i have measured come in closer to .380
You can spend the BIG BUCKS and Buy an actual Gun Smithing Dovetail file like these, They have a “Safe Side” 1 of the 3 Flats is Smooth, this allows the file to slide back n forth in your Dovetail (Safe side down) and not cut, You are ONLY Cutting, enlarging the Dove Angle.
BROWNELLS 60° DOVETAIL STANDARD SLOT SIGHT BASE FILES | Brownells

Or you could get a Small 3 Corner file at your local Hardware like i chose to do, i ground 1 Cutting edge off Square on a Hard Bench mounted Belt Sander to make a “Safe Side” (mine is a Nicholson, AWESOME files :lewis:)

IEZiSXYl.jpg

This is Somewhat of a Tedious process, GO SLOW and CHECK OFTEN!

If you only need a few Thou removed to fit, you can take it off the Bottom of the Sight Dove itself, I don’t recommend doing this if it’s Anymore than a few Thou, Any more than that and you need to Either Take material Away from the Front sight Dovetail (make it smaller) or Open the Barrel Dovetail (make it bigger) i have done both, i prefer slightly enlarging the Barrel Dovetail, I place the Barrel in a Padded Vise and Snug it up to do this.

On the other Hand, if your Front sight fits to loose in the Barrel Dovetail, If it is just loose enough that you don’t fully trust it from possibly moving, Use some Red Loctite! That will HOLD IT LIKE A ROCK, yet you can stil Drift it out. But if the Front sight is Quite loose, You will need to Build the Bottom of the Sight Dovetail up with Shim stock until you get it Tight.

NONE of this stuff is hard to do, grab the Bull by the Horns and do it! Quit Paying a Gunsmith to do these SIMPLE things!

I just dug this old Thread up, Copied and Pasted it here.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/for-idaholewis.33758/

How to install a Lyman 17 series Globe front Sight (Or Any Front Sight For that matter)

Things needed, Padded Vise, A Brass Drift Punch, and a 3 corner file with a “Safe Side” Both of these can be made at Home. A Modified Brass Bolt works fine, or better yet a piece of Round Stock brass about 3-4 inches long. The Brass Drift punch is so you Don’t damage the Barrel, Sight

It is VERY Likely your new 17 Globe Front sight will be to tight to fit your Dovetail, All of the Lyman 17 Globes i have done so far have been Tight, To tight, They needed Fitting to my Dovetail, Lyman makes them a little on the Large side so they can be fitted, 99.9% of Stock US Barrel Dovetails with be 3/8” (.375) The Lyman 17 Globes i have measured come in closer to .380
You can spend the BIG BUCKS and Buy an actual Gun Smithing Dovetail file like these, They have a “Safe Side” 1 of the 3 Flats is Smooth, this allows the file to slide back n forth in your Dovetail (Safe side down) and not cut, You are ONLY Cutting, enlarging the Dove Angle.
BROWNELLS 60° DOVETAIL STANDARD SLOT SIGHT BASE FILES | Brownells

Or you could get a Small 3 Corner file at your local Hardware like i chose to do, i ground 1 Cutting edge off Square on a Hard Bench mounted Belt Sander to make a “Safe Side” (mine is a Nicholson, AWESOME files :lewis:)

IEZiSXYl.jpg

This is Somewhat of a Tedious process, GO SLOW and CHECK OFTEN!

If you only need a few Thou removed to fit, you can take it off the Bottom of the Sight Dove itself, I don’t recommend doing this if it’s Anymore than a few Thou, Any more than that and you need to Either Take material Away from the Front sight Dovetail (make it smaller) or Open the Barrel Dovetail (make it bigger) i have done both, i prefer slightly enlarging the Barrel Dovetail, I place the Barrel in a Padded Vise and Snug it up to do this.

On the other Hand, if your Front sight fits to loose in the Barrel Dovetail, If it is just loose enough that you don’t fully trust it from possibly moving, Use some Red Loctite! That will HOLD IT LIKE A ROCK, yet you can stil Drift it out. But if the Front sight is Quite loose, You will need to Build the Bottom of the Sight Dovetail up with Shim stock until you get it Tight.

NONE of this stuff is hard to do, grab the Bull by the Horns and do it! Quit Paying a Gunsmith to do these SIMPLE things!
Thanks for the advise. I'll be making my 3 corner file into a safe file as you have suggested.

Every Lyman Globe i have installed required a Bit of File fitting, They come slightly to Large intentionally so you can Custom fit them to your Dovetail. I like a Sight to Fit Good n tight, But not Ridiculous tight. If you are Damaging the Steel Sight with a Brass Drift Punch, That is WAY to tight. Tap the Sight back out and remove a little more Material, test again. (Looking down the Barrel in Shooter position, the sight should go in from right to Left)
LOL! I ruined the first dovetail sight that i tried to do myself. Tried to drive it in from the wrong side cuz i didnt know anything about anything. Thankfully i only messed up the sight and not the barrel. But boy was i mad/sad/frustrated!

LOL! I ruined the first dovetail sight that i tried to do myself. Tried to drive it in from the wrong side cuz i didnt know anything about anything. Thankfully i only messed up the sight and not the barrel. But boy was i mad/sad/frustrated!

Back when i first started doing this stuff on my own, I had a few go in REALLY REALLY Tight, I just kept going. Luckily I didn’t damage anything. Looking back, I should have Removed a little more material :)

Yeah, I’m guilty of looking for, finding, and then using a bigger hammer...:rolleyes:
That is exactly what I did on my first one. The next time was alittle easier. This next one, Im going to use a little more patience. File off little by little until it fits how it should. I turned my 3 sided file into a safe file, so that should help too

That is exactly what I did on my first one. The next time was alittle easier. This next one, Im going to use a little more patience. File off little by little until it fits how it should. I turned my 3 sided file into a safe file, so that should help too
It’s a good thing home hobbyists can’t use power tools for this operation. You can do more damage in two seconds with a power tool than you can in 20 minutes with a hand tool...

It’s a good thing home hobbyists can’t use power tools for this operation. You can do more damage in two seconds with a power tool than you can in 20 minutes with a hand tool...
Oh I don't know. The Dremel is the favorite tool of the gun butcher and I'm sure they could find a way to incorporate it into the job.

When you say install from the right side, drive left... looking at the barrel from which end?

Latest posts

Back