Dumber than dumb.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I'm hunting a new property for the muzzy season and went out this morning ahead of a snowstorm. There's a sort of trail that borders on a neighbor's property but totally on the land I am hunting. I get on a ground stand at 6:00 this morning and wait for light. At 6:30 isee headlights sweep across the woods and hear a truck with no exhaust start up the trail. It hit a slick spot and had to stop and the engine killed. Nothing after that.... no door shutting, no voices, no nothing. Then at 7 I hear a radio playing. That racket finally quit and at 7:40 I saw 5 deer come around a bend on a hillside 40 yards away. They came right towards me. At about 25 yards the first deer stopped to nibble. I had the crosshairs on it but there was a larger deer behind this one so I decided to wait and see what would unfold. The wind was coming up the draw from the NW so my scent was not a factor as I was south and west of the deer. I was just about able to get set on that large doe when what should I think I can smell, but cigarette smoke. I'm going no, no, no, when all five of those heads come up with noses point straight down the trail. Then it was flags up and so long sucker.

I had to be home by nine and as I walked out of the woods here's a pick-up sitting there with a guy sitting in it. Window down, smoke rolling out of the window. I walked around the other side of the truck so I didn't have to walk thru that fog. He got out and came to the back as I passed the truck and asked if I was hunting the neighbor's land and I said no. He said he was hunting it with a muzzleloader, opened his passenger side door and pulled out a side-lock, not in a case, on land he doesn't have permission to be on, with a cap on the nipple to show me his rifle. Needless to say, I was less than tickled to see [and smell] this dink so I asked him what he'd think if I was a warden? No problem he says. I politely inform him that there is a problem, three big ones in fact: trespassing, loaded, uncase gun in a vehicle and zero orange on his carcass since he's alluded to actually hunting.

I took a picture of his truck's license plate and one of him standing there with his mouth open and continued on my was to my vehicle, parked at the landowners house thru some trees. As I walked away I told him that he was not to have that truck on the trail again and to do so would likely end up with law enforcement being called to deal with him.

What is wrong with some people?

Hopefully he’ll shoot a deer, so he can field dress it, parade it around town, and then park his truck outside the bar, so EVERYONE can see! That way, we’ll ALL look good… 🙄 🤬

Some would say that “we’re our own worst enemy.”

I would say, thankfully most of us here don’t fit into the same “we” as that jackwagon… 🤞

My uncle used to hunt Potlatch (paper/pulp) forest land, in north central MN. For many years, they opened their lands for public hunting, w/some restrictions so people didn’t damage the “crop.” He shot a lot of deer (including one pretty nice buck) over the years, while smoking. I always wondered- what could he have shot, if he wasn’t smoking on stand? 💡

His (least) favorite story was sitting on stand, and hearing a faint clinking noise. It kept getting louder, and louder. Eventually some genius appeared walking down the trail in hickory-stripe bib overalls. I can’t remember what was on top, but it was not blaze orange, or even red.

***The clinking noises were the beer bottles the guy had stuffed in all of his pockets! 😳 My uncle decided to leave, and come back another day…

The dumbest move that I’ve seen personally is two fellows in brown Carhartt coveralls, pushing a dry cattail slough on public land, hunting peasants. They didn’t have a stitch of blaze orange clothing on. Even dumber, it was during an open firearms deer season!

I told them that about the only thing they were missing was a white handkerchief hanging from their their back pocket… 🤨

Hopefully you don’t see him again.

I'm not banking on that. Based on the truck tracks I saw walking in with the flashlight he's been a regular since before the muzzleloader season started last Saturday. I'm guessing he was also hunting the late gun season too. That season closed on Sunday and he could have been using the muzzy during that too.
With luck he won't be real regular.

Got yourself a classic Elmer Fudd sighting there.
…it wasn’t until I had my first conversation in the deer woods with a stranger (he’d call himself a deer hunter) that I understood the Warner Bros’ caricature of the unteachable, idiotic human.
They’re in all walks of life, but I regret to say they’re overrepresented in the groups of people who like to shoot at whitetail deer.

Trespassers. Just another one of the many reasons I have quit hunting. I have mostly hunted my sister's dairy farm for almost 50 years and the progressive encroachment of "neighbors" has made it difficult to hunt the way we would like to. Our farm has the majority of the permanent cover in the whole section, so what you get is all the "neighbors" stands/blinds on our (and theirs) property lines. Of course, they all claim NOT to be hunting towards our property, but every year we catch one of the "neighbors" on our property claiming that he shot it on theirs and it ran over on ours. Well, the evidence says different, but what can you do. We tell them to call before they cross the fence, but it falls on deaf ears and every year we find gut piles from a neighbors/trespasser.

Last edited:
I would like to think that the vast majority of hunters aren't like the ones mentioned here. I will say that I've met a few nimrods out there but fortunately they were few and far between. But it only takes one to ruin your day.

Suggest contacting the neighbor. Sometimes they like to get rid of jerks, too. Several times I've given permission to someone and all's good for awhile. Then they show up with someone else. Second guy who wasn't part of the first permission starts showing up alone ...after awhile ..you get the idea.

St. Louis rabbit hunter. First year just him and two beagles. Next year, brought his boss along who gutted a rabbit in my driveway & tossed the guts into my garden. I'd just had my Labrador to the vet, paid for a worming shot a few days before. There were others, sometimes they're relatives. If someone hunting/fishing on me causes problems with a neighbor, they're not welcome here anymore.

Unreal! Had a similar situation last year in regards to cigarette smoke. Hunting public land, I'm up in my stand with my bow. Hear some rustling coming along so I get ready. Out of an opening comes an orange clad hunter with a muzzleloader smoking a cigarette. He stops, finishes he butt, then drops it in the dried up leaves and moves on!

Mr. Tom I hopefully think you got your point across. Just be careful there are some real butt heads out there. A few years back I was heading out to my brothers range on posted land when 4 atvs came along. I said put the breaks on boys where you going. The reply was this is the atv trail. I think not this my brothers land and you realize property is posted and he does not allow me to used an atv. They asked me what I had over my shoulder and I said in a non threatening manner im going to practice with my pistola! They bid me good day and couldn`t get out of there fast enough. My brother and I still have a good laugh over it today. Good day.

Last edited:
I won’t ever stop and have a confab with anyone who’s in the wrong, knows it, and has a gun. My message was short and sweet and in passing so he had zero chance to play games. I carry my phone and have reception. If I hear that truck pull in again I’ll call the co from where I sit and let him deal with the dink.

Trespassers. Just another one of the many reasons I have quit hunting. I have mostly hunted my sister's dairy farm for almost 50 years and the progressive encroachment of "neighbors" has made it difficult to hunt the way we would like to. Our farm has the majority of the permanent cover in the whole section, so what you get is all the "neighbors" stands/blinds on our (and theirs) property lines. Of course, they all claim NOT to be hunting towards our property, but every year we catch one of the "neighbors" on our property claiming that he shot it on theirs and it ran over on ours. Well, the evidence says different, but what can you do. We tell them to call before they cross the fence, but it falls on deaf ears and every year we find gut piles from a neighbors/trespasser.
I have hunted -at dawn for elk- some road allowance cut lines. The landowner has cattle and grain operation with no buildings and his land is well posted. No problem with that as it is his land. I do get a bit testy seeing him on Uncle's land without permission because he is a 'neighbor'. He is just that kind of guy.

I tried my new spot again this morning and this time without dipschnit showing up. I see he must have gotten stuck in the since the last time I was there. Tore up the trail and woods pretty good. I stopped and had a little chat with the landowner and now he's a touch miffed with the idiot so he'll be on the watch for the dink. Nice morning but nothing but squirrels to occupy my mind. The snow that was falling when I left the last time was nothing but a maze of deer tracks. The season ends on the 11th so I plan to be there at least three, maybe four, more times. Thinking maybe a couple afternoon trips.

I'm hunting a new property for the muzzy season and went out this morning ahead of a snowstorm. There's a sort of trail that borders on a neighbor's property but totally on the land I am hunting. I get on a ground stand at 6:00 this morning and wait for light. At 6:30 isee headlights sweep across the woods and hear a truck with no exhaust start up the trail. It hit a slick spot and had to stop and the engine killed. Nothing after that.... no door shutting, no voices, no nothing. Then at 7 I hear a radio playing. That racket finally quit and at 7:40 I saw 5 deer come around a bend on a hillside 40 yards away. They came right towards me. At about 25 yards the first deer stopped to nibble. I had the crosshairs on it but there was a larger deer behind this one so I decided to wait and see what would unfold. The wind was coming up the draw from the NW so my scent was not a factor as I was south and west of the deer. I was just about able to get set on that large doe when what should I think I can smell, but cigarette smoke. I'm going no, no, no, when all five of those heads come up with noses point straight down the trail. Then it was flags up and so long sucker.

I had to be home by nine and as I walked out of the woods here's a pick-up sitting there with a guy sitting in it. Window down, smoke rolling out of the window. I walked around the other side of the truck so I didn't have to walk thru that fog. He got out and came to the back as I passed the truck and asked if I was hunting the neighbor's land and I said no. He said he was hunting it with a muzzleloader, opened his passenger side door and pulled out a side-lock, not in a case, on land he doesn't have permission to be on, with a cap on the nipple to show me his rifle. Needless to say, I was less than tickled to see [and smell] this dink so I asked him what he'd think if I was a warden? No problem he says. I politely inform him that there is a problem, three big ones in fact: trespassing, loaded, uncase gun in a vehicle and zero orange on his carcass since he's alluded to actually hunting.

I took a picture of his truck's license plate and one of him standing there with his mouth open and continued on my was to my vehicle, parked at the landowners house thru some trees. As I walked away I told him that he was not to have that truck on the trail again and to do so would likely end up with law enforcement being called to deal with him.

What is wrong with some people?
People like that give deer hunting a bad name. And people like that can very possibly get someone innocent shot. Good for you sir to stand your ground

Wow sounds like you ran into a real winner of a human! I’m just glad it didn’t escalate. Hopefully you don’t see him again.
No kidding! When I was 18, my father and I went out on opening day about 05:30 -- well before sunup , to get unto our stands. My Dad's was first on the trail and I went another 75 yards or so down the trail to my stand. There was a man on it and asked where I was headed. Not thinking I said I was headed to my stand -- the one he was in. This was well within our 100 acres and nowhere near any border. I had never seen him before. There was a big hunt club from Mpls area that owned about 1200 acres but that was on the other side of a large cedar swamp about 1.5 miles away. He had his rifle across his chest and pointed more or less in my direction and informed me this stand was his and I should hunt elsewhere. I agreed and turned around and went back to where my dad was. We got the sheriff and went back but the guy was gone but not 2 beer cans and quite a few butts. He probably pissed at the base of the tree as well......this rude and entitled behavior is nothing new as I was 18 in 1970

Latest posts

Back