Ear protection favorites?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Having tried different types and brands I still don’t have any I like. Some interfere with cheek weld especially AR platforms. So I use plugs. Molded type.
Handguns I use muffs.
I asked a pistol Grand Master at a club I participate at what ear protection he uses and he replied” What?”
So I decided his advice wouldn’t be one to use. LOL
Seems the skinny muffs don’t seal well with eye protection.
So I like responses from fellow shooters rather than online store reviews. Gotta take them with a grain of salt.

The absolute BEST thing you can do, is to go to an audiologist and have a pair made. They make a mold from each ear, then make a custom set. They send them out and you should get them back in a week or so. They are molded to fit EXACT. Mine custom molded plugs were exactly $100.
A cord is molded between the two so if you lose one, you lose them both... LOL
I was in that same boat as you until......

Plain Ole Ear Plugs for me, I have several Cases of them. I have Ziplock Bags of them in my Truck, My Shooting Gear, etc. I try to have them Anywhere i might be. They are Cheap, simple to use, and Highly effective at Saving your Hearing. I have Muffs as well but I don’t like them for Rifle due to Cheek Weld on Rifle Stock lifting that muff off my Ear. They are Great with Pistol, but so are Ear Plugs :lewis:

I much prefer the custom molded plugs. All the over the ear type get smacked and bumped and I cannot get a good cheek weld on a long gun. On a handgun that would not be an issue.

I use the 3M Peltor Comtacs, with Noisefighters (https://noisefighters.com/) The noisefighters accommodate eyepro well. The peltors allow you to get nice and tight on the stock. That said, I wouldn't buy them unless you need/like comms while you shoot, talk to people while shooting, or like to listen to music while you shoot. If I were not issued them, I wouldn't buy them, but I would buy electronic muffs, like Proears, who make electronic earmuffs with earpieces that are shaped to allow you to get nice and tight

I like pro ears gold. I now have two pairs: one from m Sportsmans warehouse and the other from Ebay. I will not shoot without them. They do not interfere with my cheek weld even though I wear glasses. I have tried plugs but just do not like them in my ear for extended periods of time. You can perch them on top of your head when not in use although you will resemble Micky mouse. LOL.

I like my Walker Game Ears. They amplify low freq sound such as range conversation. It is like getting a hearing aid for free with the muffs. Then muffs cost more than basic models but; free regarding having to wear protection, these do double duty. If you hunt these will pick up game sounds. You can littrally hear a pin drop. The amplification is adjutsable. They block gun shots obviously. You can hear the echo and clearly hear even a lowly 22LR striking a steel plate. Two thumbs up.

The ear plugs and muffs combined idea, I think is unnecessary for black powder shooting. The noise is much less harsh than guns like AR14 with muzzle devices. Or high power centerfire bolt guns. I get the idea for the high power stuff.

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport over the ear muffs. They provide really good hearing enhancement (and protection) and they don't get in the way when I shoot shotguns, rifles, or my muzzleloaders. I use a combination of ear plugs and those ear muffs at the range, but just use the muffs when I'm hunting.
I've done quite a bit of waterfowl, upland, and big game hunting with those ear muffs over the years with good results.
They cost around $50, so they're pretty reasonably priced. I bought my first pair almost 10 years ago and they're still working fine. As an added bonus, they use regular AAA batteries.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/best-hunting-ear-protection/

If you don't know what tinnitus is, try this: briefly clench your back jaw together so your last few teeth are squeezed together. You can also do it by tightening your neck & jaw muscles. You should hear a high pitched whining noise in your ears. That's a bit what tinnitus is like, but it never goes away.

Tinnitus is caused by exposure to loud noise and/or genetics. You can't control genetics, but you can be smart and always double up on your hearing protection. Ear plugs and ear muffs used together. You can get foam roll up plugs for almost free. Decent muffs can be found for under $5.

I took Encore's suggestion a few months back and have been extremely happy. I leave mine in all day while hunting and they are not only effective against the noise but extremely comfortable. Prior I had used the form ear plugs which I found uncomfortable after an hour or so and the Howard Leight ear muffs which I had problems shooting from the bench with.

I use ear plugs and muffs both and leave my hearing aids in the truck. When I got my first pair of hearing aids ($4500) I ask if they automatically shut off when around loud noise and he looked at me like I was crazy

I use ear plugs and muffs both and leave my hearing aids in the truck. When I got my first pair of hearing aids ($4500) I ask if they automatically shut off when around loud noise and he looked at me like I was crazy
Really? What did you expect for only $4500? I would have bought a truck and a new ML instead. 🔊👂📢 sometimes not hearing can be a good thing tho.

I wear ear plugs(no muffs) while cowboy action shooting and have to remind the timer operator to hold the timer to my right ear so I’m sure to hear it

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport over the ear muffs. They provide really good hearing enhancement (and protection) and they don't get in the way when I shoot shotguns, rifles, or my muzzleloaders. I use a combination of ear plugs and those ear muffs at the range, but just use the muffs when I'm hunting.
I've done quite a bit of waterfowl, upland, and big game hunting with those ear muffs over the years with good results.
They cost around $50, so they're pretty reasonably priced. I bought my first pair almost 10 years ago and they're still working fine. As an added bonus, they use regular AAA batteries.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/best-hunting-ear-protection/
How are they with wind noise? I used to have some of the original Walker's Game Ears, but the mics picked up so much breeze noise it was difficult to hear anything else.

Hello? You say sumpin'? Hello?? :cool:

But seriously, ear protection is SO important. With all my black powder guns I almost always use Flents foam plugs. The Flents are a porous foam, not solid and rubbery like some plugs. You twist and compress 'em with yer fingers, insert into ears, allow the foam to expand and fill up the contours of the outer ear. very comfortable, don't hardly know they're there, and yet most people conversations can be heard. I'll use muffs if there are others around blasting away with their big magnum howitzers (sometimes in conjunction with Flents) or if I'm 9mm pistol/carbine, or .38spl snubby practicing.

1.png

Latest posts

Back