early 45 caliber thompson center omega 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
recently inherited an early 45 caliber Thompson center omega with 1:20 twist barrel. has not been shot much. while researching it, I couldn't find any positive reviews/comments about it. they all say the 1:20 twist barrel on them won't shoot a good group.

anybody out there have or know of one that shoots good, and what load works well if any? the gun was my dad's and I would like to get it dialed in and take out hunting.

By "they" you mean Cecil at PR Bullet? Nothing at all wrong with a 45cal 1-20 twist. They have won more hunter class inline matches than all others combined. Whether T/C had a batch of bad barrels is debatable. Maybe or maybe not but there is no shortage of people that would love to own a early Omega 45 1-20.

The .45 1-20s from what I have read shoot great for guys who are Loading them with the right stuff. I’d love to ge my hands on one..of the half a dozen omegas I own the .45 1-20 is and probably will always be on my to get list..they are very hard to come by..I’d trade one of my .50cal omegas for one in a heart beat…Anyways…try the Barnes 195 grain with the provided sabot from it with about 80-100 grains by volume of bh209. I’m betting you could find a sweet spot somewhere in that area and get it to shoot well for you

Hi all, I appreciate the load info and understand the interest in the gun. I haven't kept up with all the improvements to Muzzle loaders over the years. I have hunted with a 50 caliber T/C new Englander with patched round ball and FF powder for the past 32 years and it has served me well. This Omega is a big step up from what I am used to. Quite frankly I find the bullet, propellant and primer options available a bit overwhelming. Just looking for some input on proven load combinations for the omega that will kill a deer before I go shopping.

My load is a 460gr No Excuses bullet, sized .451, on a tan cut off sabot base on 60grains by volume of BH209 with a CCI 209 primer. I added a Mercury Recoil Suppressor into the stock so i will be trying larger powder loads this winter.

Last edited:
You could probably just go billet to bore like most of the knight 45-1/20 guys do. Just buy a pack of fury 265 sbt and a bullet sizing die. Get some veggie wads. Size your bullet to slide down your barrel with relatively light pressure. Try 100 gr by volume of black horn. I bet that rifle will shoot amazing for you.

Any of the 40cal bullets upto 250gr should shoot in sabots. The main thing is try the Harvester light blue SMOOTH sabot if the tan sabot that comes with many 40s is not working for you. I would look at the Fury 240gr .401 just because of cost and its a good choice for a 1-20 twist. Buy a 50pack of Fury Bullets and a 50pack of Harvester light blue sabots.
https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/

thanks guys, sounds good, not sure what you mean by not working for you - not grouping or not able to get it down the barrel. are the sabots color coded by their thickness? or other characteristics? dont forget this inline/sabot bullet thing is totally new to me.

Tan sabots are made by MMP and they will be about .456 loaded OD. The light blue is made by Harvester and they will be about .454 loaded OD. The Harvester is also a bit tougher sabot. It will handle hotter loads better.

Barnes 195s and Hornady 200gr SSTs both come with MMP tan sabots. If they are too tight or dont shoot well try the Harvester sabot too. Just swap the bullets into the other sabot.

The other thing you can try is a lead conical. It needs far less powder but some T/Cs have a "false muzzle" (called a QLA) that is not cut properly to the bore. This can make conicals shoot very poorly. All you need for a conical is a wad. Usually a wool wad but there are others too like veggie fiber and poly wads. 70-80gr of powder by volume, wool wad and a soft lead conical is pretty simple to use.

thanks guys, sounds good, not sure what you mean by not working for you - not grouping or not able to get it down the barrel. are the sabots color coded by their thickness? or other characteristics? dont forget this inline/sabot bullet thing is totally new to me.
I primarily use the light blue crush rib sabots but the tan sabots are also useful. There's also the green
45/40 sabots(not to be confused with the .50/44 green sabots). Sometimes ill cut the petals off a sabot to use under a lead conical.
1640279692279926310255024029134.jpg

Update, all my local sporting goods store had in 45 cal. were a 30 pack of T/C super 45 XR 155 grain sabots and a15 pack of T/C 200 grain spire point shock wave sabots both with green sabots and both beyond their shelf life I presume. I didn't like the looks of either one of them but I wanted to try the 45 out. The powder choice was sparse also, settled on a pound of Hodgdon select pyrodex powder and CCI 209 primers. I cleaned the 45 up really good previously. with breech plug out I attempted to run each bullet though for fit and both were to tight to get through with just the ramrod so I fashioned a t-handle out of a 3-inch 10/32 bolt in a piece of wood dowel, even then it took both hands and all my might to get them through. I was a little discouraged but off to the gravel pit I went this past week. I shot 20 rounds of the 155 grain with 70 grains of the pyrodex. Discovered I had to wet swab and dry swab between each shot, I did try to load a second bullet twice and both got stuck and had to remove them, but I had to try and see what I was dealing with. I shot at 35 yds, 50,75 and 100yds. with a few scope adjustments I was pleased with the groups. Fast forward-ordered and received a Cabela's universal range rod which I am pleased with and 50 harvester light blue smooth and 50 light blue crushed rib sabots. Pushed both through with breech plug out, what a difference. They both feel right to me going down with the crushed rib being slightly easier. Will try those same bullets with the light blue sabots this week at some point. Also earlier this morning I ordered 50- 45 cal.- 225 grain lead sabots from No Excuses, I like Lead no matter what they say it does to your brain Haha, be it bird shot, buckshot, slugs or whatever. If they shoot well they will be my whitetail bullet, and I am going to get some BH 209 when I can get it, from what I have read the breech plug in the omega will ignite BH 209.

I like to keep things simple

Thank you all for your guidance/input - helped me a lot. TTYL

recently inherited an early 45 caliber Thompson center omega with 1:20 twist barrel. has not been shot much. while researching it, I couldn't find any positive reviews/comments about it. they all say the 1:20 twist barrel on them won't shoot a good group.

anybody out there have or know of one that shoots good, and what load works well if any? the gun was my dad's and I would like to get it dialed in and take out hunting.
I'd be more than happy to take that .45 1:20 Omega off your hands if ya decide to part with it.

Good luck with your Omega! I have an early model Encore that I had similar issues in finding a sabot to go down the barrel. The crushed rib sabots work great for me. I shot Pyrodex powder in it forever but I switched to 777 a few years ago when I ran out of it. I also had a lot of success with the Great Plains bullets and I want to find something similar to those one of these days. In a pinch CVA Power Belts go down the barrel too.

"illbdipt said:
thanks guys, sounds good, not sure what you mean by not working for you - not grouping or not able to get it down the barrel. are the sabots color coded by their thickness? or other characteristics? dont forget this inline/sabot bullet thing is totally new to me."

Thanks for asking the questions and those who offered the explanations. Learned the answers to questions I didn't know I had.:)

Latest posts

Back