Early pre rut?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a kill permit (does only) again this summer an was out watching a soy bean field last evening. At 5:40pm I saw two deer coming from the opposite side towards me, along fence line, so got ready. The first was a mature doe being followed by a buck in velvet. I couldn't tell number of points, but a high rack with brow tines. They were coming on down my way so let them get closer. She was having nothing to do with him an suddenly stopped, looked back an jumped the fence into other property at 137 yds. He came right behind her an jumped the fence following her. He didn't lower his head sniffing the ground like they will do in November. He sure was chasing her!
Just threw me for awhile seeing them. The landowner has seen several bucks in a group, but no chasing.

I should have shot (per permit) but lost my chance. We are going back this week as the temps are finally reasonable with lower humidity. I'm using the Rem 30-06 for the longer shots. Maybe tonight!!

Back