Easter Day Gobbler

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Maryland (Youth)Junior Spring Turkey Hunt is this weekend. We went all day yesterday(Saturday) were we had several encounters with gobblers strutting just out of range. My son Ryan ended up missing a 30 yd shot at a nice gobbler toward the end of the day. To say he was bummed out would be an understatement.
Last night at supper I asked him if he wanted to go back out the next day since there would be no Easter Church due to the virus dilemma. I teased him about redeeming himself. He said he had online school work to finish on Sunday. I said we would only go out for a few hours in the morning. He agreed.
We decided to hunt a blind we set up close to the top of the mountain. We got situated in the blind one hour before sunrise. Within 15 minutes we heard a gobble about 120 yards above us in the dark. As the sky started to lighten I let out a couple of purrs on the glass call. That seemed to get him really excited as he continued to gobble about every 60 seconds or so. After he flew down I started purring again and he came down the hill in a beeline toward us and our decoys. He stopped behind some brush to start fluffing, strutting and twirling at about 27 yards out. I told Ryan to take him when he had a clear shot. Once his head cleared the brush it was bang flop, flop, flop, stop and hi fives. We still had 15 minutes left before sunrise. It was one of the top 3 quickest turkey hunts I have ever experienced. Although we did pay our dues the day before.;)

20200412_063200 (1).jpg20200412_065111 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Good looking Gobbler! :lewis:

It’s funny how these darn things react at different times, I have had them Gobbling like Crazy at a Hen Call, And Going farther away the Whole time. That Evening, or the Next Morning one might come Running STRAIGHT IN on the First Hen Call, They are UNPREDICTABLE

Good looking Gobbler! :lewis:

It’s funny how these darn things react at different times, I have had them Gobbling like Crazy at a Hen Call, And Going farther away the Whole time. That Evening, or the Next Morning one might come Running STRAIGHT IN on the First Hen Call, They are UNPREDICTABLE
That's the lure in hunting them. It's either fun or frustration.

Latest posts

Back