Ed' 359g 45 caliber FP--80g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1602.JPG

ednote.jpg

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

The bullet now weighs 354.7g. Range was 25 yard. Here is a LINK to the test of this bullet' cousin with the hollow point.

After picking up all the debris; headed up the trail, up the hill, and home.

IMG_1601.JPG

Ron, first off I want to thank you for testing my bullets for me. We all owe you a big thanks for showing us how the ML bullets we shoot perform and providing us with an indication as to what to expect from them.

I guess from the pictures of my two bullets, there isn't much difference in performance between a solid or hollow point especially when using pure lead? Although I'm still leaning to using the Hollow Points with my grandkids when using light loads.

Again we all owe you a big debt for your time, effort, expense and lets not forget the little woman who helps you gathering up all of those Water Jugs!! LOL

Thanks Again!!

Ed

Good looking bullet Ed. I take it that this one is not Pure lead. Do you know how hard it is? I like the amount of expansion Ron got with it. :yeah:

I take it the 80 of blackhorn was by volume?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Ed: Just an FYI, Lyman mold weights are established with 1/20 alloy.
Not surprised with nearly identical results with pure lead. One could only assume that the HP might open quicker..
Thanks Ron

oops. that would be 20/1 alloy. 20 parts lead/1 part tin.

ShawnT said:
Good looking bullet Ed. I take it that this one is not Pure lead. Do you know how hard it is? I like the amount of expansion Ron got with it. :yeah:

Shawn, this is what 52Bore posted on my bullets from another post. Both bullets were made from the same batch of lead that I've been using for awhile.

"Ed:
I checked the hardness of this bullet you sent a while back - 4 BNH. Saeco chart indicates pure lead at 3-5 BNH."

From the looks on how both bullets look and from the shape of the first two jugs, I would say the shocking power of them ought to create havoc on any deer especially if hit in the lung area.

52Bore said:
Ed: Just an FYI, Lyman mold weights are established with 1/20 alloy.
Not surprised with nearly identical results with pure lead. One could only assume that the HP might open quicker..
Thanks Ron
I always thought Lyman mold weights were established with Lyman #2 alloy which is 90% lead, 5% tin, & 5% antimony.

Incredible circumference there. Imagine that shroom' using the same in 54 / 58?
Gawd, I love lead bullets. Too bad they're slowly disappearing.

edmehlig said:
ShawnT said:

Shawn, this is what 52Bore posted on my bullets from another post. Both bullets were made from the same batch of lead that I've been using for awhile.

"Ed:
I checked the hardness of this bullet you sent a while back - 4 BNH. Saeco chart indicates pure lead at 3-5 BNH."

From the looks on how both bullets look and from the shape of the first two jugs, I would say the shocking power of them ought to create havoc on any deer especially if hit in the lung area.
Yup that is Pure. I cast some .500's in .336 grains for my 54 and they were pure too. Shot great and the Doe I got did not have a complaint. :wink: That is a great looking bullet. Are you shooting them in sabot or as a conical?

Shawn, basically I just shoot them as a conical with my White's. However, I did try them in a Sabot with my 50cal Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker and they did pretty good at 50yds with open sights. However, I need to put in more time and try different sabots to see how much I can improve the accuracy.

Ed

I'm a little surprised. I would have guessed there would be more penetration without the hollowpoint. I guess soft lead is just going to expand no matter what kind of point it has. It seems like you need a heavier bullet if you want more penetration. I am confident this one would do a great job on deer sized game though as Ed and others have demonstrated. Thanks for another test Ron.

That bullet looks just like the 488 gr. .451 Bullshop that came out of my 10pt. last November, and that was at (guesstimate) 70yds and 80gr 3Fg of T7 powder. My bullet stayed in the deer, but went through bone in the neck an into the ribs. Solid wad cutter style not HP...

I would have also guessed more penetration than the HP BUT.....80gr of BH209 is probably pushing a soft lead bullet of that weight to the top end of what it can handle. Either are going to expand fast at that velocity. The flat point does appear to have more shank left vs the hollow point.

It would be interesting to see what happens with 50gr or maybe 60gr of BH209 to see if it makes much of a difference.

Ihave asked this before and didnt get a reply. Are you referring to weight or volume on the powder charges?

Im sure this is by volume. When its by weight most of us state "by weight". I usually use grV when talking about volume but sometimes i forget.

Gm54 120 , thank you so much.

Back