Ed' 45 Caliber Design 7:1

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mailed you 8 more bullets today. According to USPS, they should arrive at your house on Monday. I'm hoping you have the time to perform two tests for me.

Four bullets were made out of Pure Lead and the other four were made with a mixture of 7 Ingots of Pure lead and one of 40-1. Again, my bullets are made from the (45-380M) mold from Accurate Molds. As I mentioned to you in your first test for me, I’m experimenting with lead hardness. My hope was to create what I'm calling a 50-1 mixture. The idea is to create a bullet that is like Pure but with a little hardness to it to ensure the bullet will stay on the charge. A friend of mine tested the hardness of both bullets. The Pure Lead from Buffalo Arms measured .032 while the 7-1 mixture measured .038. So I'm interested to see how these bullets mushroom. If the 7-1 ratio does not mushroom-like I’m hoping for, I’ll use them for target practice and stick with the Pure lead bullets for hunting.

Thank You so much for your time and effort!

Ed

edunfired39071.jpg

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

Distance between rifle, and bottles is 25 yard. Charge is 50 grain Blackhorn powder.

IMG_4904.JPG

The bullet destroyed the first two bottles, went through the third, and fourth bottle, bounced off the fifth bottle, and ended up about six feet to the left of the horse, buried in the grass. The fifth, and sixth bottles were undamaged.

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

Like Ron said in theory. I'm waiting to see how the Pure Lead bullet performs. I don't know if I should add another 1 or 2 more ingots of pure lead to the 7-1 mix??

Like Ron said in theory. I'm waiting to see how the Pure Lead bullet performs. I don't know if I should add another 1 or 2 more ingots of pure lead to the 7-1 mix??

I wouldn’t ad anything more, Remember Pure lead is Given a VERY WIDE Range, On my Chart for my Cabin Tree Lead Hardness Tester PURE Lead starts at .015 and ends at .035, Your Bullets are measuring .038, So you are just Barely above Pure Lead now. Since Your Goal is a Bullet to “Hold” The Bore a Little better than Pure Lead, You are There Now. What would you Gain by Trying to Water this 7-1 Mixture Down anymore? Absolutely nothing since you are just barely above Pure Lead Now, Before doing that, you would be better to Stick with Pure Lead.

This 7-1 Mixture Bullet Performed this 50 Grains of Powder Test Very well, When You up the Powder Charge to a Typical Hunting load of 70, 80, 90 Grains of Powder, the Bullet is gonna Mushroom MUCH Better yet.

Nothing wrong with that performance. That's decent mushrooming even at the lower velocity of the 50 grain charge.

I’m confused, this test vs the test posted in late May using same bullet?

If I were to purchase a bullet in this heavy Wht. category for low velocity shooting on game, I would prefer the pure lead cast. A swaged bullet of the same material would be slightly harder and probably mushroom slightly less. My experience shooting pure cast lead below around 2000 fps is the best way to go unless maybe your on the African continent chasing heavy thick skinned game. For shooting Whitails with both round balls 50, 54' 58' 60' and 62 cal. pure lead has always killed very quickly. With heavy 58 cal musket balls the same applys. For me pure lead is the way to go. Jist my 2 cents. My first deer was killed in 1962 with a civil war musket. I was a dumb kid , boiled over and shot a doe illegally. Scared the crap out of me . Never did that again.

My youngest grandson has been harvesting deer with his 45 cal White shooting Lyman Gould 330gr HP which casts a bullet around 345gr with 50-65gr of 777 3F with no problems. With the 50gr we limited his shot to no more than 50yds. His doe dropped at the shot.

I'm of the conclusion with 45 cal. a bullet is the way to go to get the bullet wht. up for penetration. I would recommend using a 45 round ball for target only or hunting small game. I once shot a buck with a fifty cal. round ball. Hit the buck in the shoulder at a quarting away angle. Deer didn't go down quickly cocked the left barrel and fier a second shot, dear went down. Got to the animal and found 3 holes on the entrance side. The first shot went in hit the shoulder blade and bounced out. The killing shot entered just behind the shoulder. Conclude my decision to never deer hunt with a 45 round ball gun. Have shot completion with a round ball 45 gun but no hunting with for me. I was shooting a Kodiac double rifle 70 Grs. black.

Back