Ed' 45 Caliber Design Pure Pb

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mailed you 8 more bullets today. According to USPS, they should arrive at your house on Monday. I'm hoping you have the time to perform two tests for me.

Four bullets were made out of Pure Lead and the other four were made with a mixture of 7 Ingots of Pure lead and one of 40-1. Again, my bullets are made from the (45-380M) mold from Accurate Molds. As I mentioned to you in your first test for me, I’m experimenting with lead hardness. My hope was to create what I'm calling a 50-1 mixture. The idea is to create a bullet that is like Pure but with a little hardness to it to ensure the bullet will stay on the charge. A friend of mine tested the hardness of both bullets. The Pure Lead from Buffalo Arms measured .032 while the 7-1 mixture measured .038. So I'm interested to see how these bullets mushroom. If the 7-1 ratio does not mushroom-like I’m hoping for, I’ll use them for target practice and stick with the Pure lead bullets for hunting.

Thank You so much for your time and effort!

Ed

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

Rifle to bottles = 25 yard. Charge = 50 grain Blackhorn powder.

Bullet tossed first bottle high in the sky. Bullet destroyed the first two bottles. Bullet went through the third, and fourth bottles. Bullet bounced off fifth bottle. Metal Detector was required to find bullet hiding in grass about 8' to the right of horse.

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4922.JPG

Ron, THANK YOU, for doing these tests for me!! No matter if I use Pure Lead or the 7-1 mixture, it looks like anything they hit they will hit like the Hammer of Thor and anchor them pretty quickly!. From the two mixtures, I see there was only a little better mushrooming with the pure lead bullets which was expected. I can only imagine how much more they would mushroom with a 80gr charge?

Thanks Again, your tests are very informative and we all owe you big time for your time and effort not to mention obtaining all those water jugs! :D:lewis:

Latest posts

Back